:D Motor machining tips and info plz 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: :D Motor machining tips and info plz
Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF V8 Futura, 180sx

QLD, Australia

Hey guys

Im planning on modifiing my 250 crossflow 4.1 EFI but im still learn A LOT!!! i been looking at people machining the
crank and cams to i think! like 10thou or 20thou I was wondering what dose this do to the crank and cam? and is it a
good performance thing or just motor recondtion thing

Also another thing id like to learn about is when you get a motor bored like, lets say 40thou im thinking.
Do i have to get the head done to suit the bore
(im refering to the area where the valves are around the edge to suit the bore on the block)

Umm what do you get from port and polish of the head? and is it worth it?

are getting larger valves installed and machined to suit a good performance idea?

I just want to know what i should do when i get my motor done up i want to do it right and top of range first time

Thx guys can't wait to hear what you got to teach me about
(man i love learning new things about cars) :D :D :D :D :D

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Post subject: Re: :D Motor machining tips and info plz
Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

Xflow wrote:
i been looking at people machining the crank and cams to i think! like 10thou or 20thou I was wondering what dose this do to the crank and cam? and is it a good performance thing or just motor recondtion thing

pretty much it's just a reconditioning issue to make sure the crankshaft bearing journals are dead-on in terms of diameter, the bearing journal isnt out-of-round, on a taper, no grooves from worn bearings, or contaminants in the oil, etc
Xflow wrote:
Also another thing id like to learn about is when you get a motor bored like, lets say 40thou im thinking.
Do i have to get the head done to suit the bore (im refering to the area where the valves are around the edge to suit the bore on the block)

nope, the head will be ok, but IMO boring the cylinders out should only be to restore the bore to a perfect cylinder minus the scoring, lip, etc that you get on an older engine, boring for performance is a false economy, you lose out in terms of strength, (thinner bore walls=bigger chance of the bore blowing out into the water jacket, getting hot and bulging, or even distorting the bore so it is either tapered, oval, etc), cooling (thinner bore=higher temps on the coolant side of the block means the coolant can boil on the surface of the cylinder, and the steam bubbles effectively insulate the cylinder from the coolant, increasing the problem dramatically)
IMO boring a block for the few added cubes you get is an act of desperation and with the potential problems, its rarely worth it
Xflow wrote:
Umm what do you get from port and polish of the head? and is it worth it?
are getting larger valves installed and machined to suit a good performance idea?

porting/polishing the inlet/exhaust ports, as well as increasing valve diameter allows more of the air/fuel mixture to get into the cylinder (by making the flow easier, tho it can get to a point where its detrimental to the engines performace) and more fuel/air=more power

Banned

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]