Fordmods Logo

Damas setting timing 4.0 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Damas setting timing 4.0
Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Just trying to set the base timing correctly on my XG. Ive read up and everything appears to go correct except the timing mark is constantly moving. Procedure ive been using: Short the top left and right pins on the diagnostic connector, start car, let idle for 2mins till revs dropped quickly then picked back up then check timing where it should be set at 10 btdc (which im guessing is the mark to the left as theres no numerical markings).

Is this correct? The mark is moving best part of half the distance between the 2 marks and is the same before and after the 2min quick rev drop. The wires are def shorted as the car sits on about 1200revs for a bit then drops down slowly to 600ish.

Post subject: Re: Damas setting timing 4.0
Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 95 NF Fairlane

VIC, Australia

Ok, There are 2 problems that i have seen, 1st thing is .. its the top left and the one UNDER that not the one on the right, and the sencond thing is every tunning book i have and what not, it states to tune it within 2 mins NOT after .. i normally undo the dizzy enough to move it but not enough to move on start up, then bridge out the 2 left hand side pins, top and bottom left hand side, then start the car, now it will rev up to about 1200 to 1500 then tune it, if you go over 2 mins, shut down take key out of ign for 10 secs, then restart, i have never had a problem doing it this way what so ever and has always tuned and ran fantastic afterward . Hope this helps ya :)

93 EB 4 Speed auto , 2 1/2 sports from cat back , pod filter , LSD , super low suspenstion , mok tickford rims 15" , 7 colour changing led parker lights , led no plate lights and still want more .. allooootttttttttttt more ..

"Drive it , Like you stole it " ... so whats your excuse :D

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:35 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

ahh k yea thats a typo sorry, the pins i actually meant top and bottom left are the ones im shorting out. It only sits on 1200rpmish for about 10secs tho before it gradually drops down to 600 . Ill try and get someone else to do it with me so i can jump on the light quicker while its at 1200revs i just didnt think it was right, but being my first coon i could be wrong. How much movement of the timing mark would you think is normal.

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:39 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 95 NF Fairlane

VIC, Australia

u can do it yourself mate, Just has to be done within the first 2 mins. If you want to catch it at 1200 set it all up before you start it wind the window down and point the light down to the crank. It will jump around less at 1200 then 600, mine jumped around something shocking at 600 rpm. But try it and let us know how ya go buddy :)

93 EB 4 Speed auto , 2 1/2 sports from cat back , pod filter , LSD , super low suspenstion , mok tickford rims 15" , 7 colour changing led parker lights , led no plate lights and still want more .. allooootttttttttttt more ..

"Drive it , Like you stole it " ... so whats your excuse :D

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

It goes to locked TDC timing after the KOER test is finished.
Then it holds that timing for 2 minutes.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Cool thanks for the help... As far as i can see its everything as per whats meant to be done just a bit of movement to get an exact setting, guess its just how it is with a dizzy + a engine long in tooth. Its no real biggy tho as if you sit with the timing light on it long enough you can work out where it sits most often which is round middle of its movement, i just wasnt sure if it wasnt going into diagnostics mode properly and i was going to adjust it well out. All good now, changed from 1-3 to bout 12 btdc which was a noticeable improvement to drive and no signs of pinging - happy days.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]