Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Dashboard crash?
Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:04 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon Futura EL

NSW, Australia

Hi,

Just recently the dash in my EL Futura has started turning off for no apparent reason. All the dials go to zero, the ODO display is blank but the back light will stay on, ABS warning light comes on. At the same time the engine appears to lose power, feels really sluggish from takeoff - maybe its not even changing gears haven't had a chance to check properly. Usually lasts 30 seconds or so then comes back on and all good.

Anyone experienced this before? I'd say loose wiring, somewhere :roll: ?

Jez

Post subject: Re: Dashboard crash?
Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: AU XR6

Power: 171 rwkw

NSW, Australia

A bad earth perhaps. Check the main earth from the battery to the engine mount then the computer earth, from there I'm not sure maybe the fuse box?

9/98 AU1 XR6hp-about to retire from the road and be reborn on the race track.
86 ZL mint grandpa spec with premo sound and 150000km
07 TTG 60000km stock as, mods to come.
97 el futura about to be MOCKed

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:59 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 95 EF XR8 & a 09 FG GT

WA, Australia

yes all that is, check and replace the fuse labled "INST IGN" in your fuse box......
the reason why it makes the car run like s**t it because if that fuse goes, the ODOMETER will not work when you drive, so it then causes the transducer to not get a signal, and its the transducer that controls the speedo and odo, if the odo does not work or dash has no power due to a blown fuse or other fault, the transducer gets no signal or no way of logging or comunicating with the odo, thus can't log the cars k's so it then purposely makes the car run like a bag of s**t so its that undriveable, you get the thing fixed.... it will still run but it will rev almost to redline between gear changes or if your lucky to get them at all, if it does not just put the car in limp home...and may also makes the car kick back and fourth in and out of gears whilst your at a steady rev range and makes the car erratic and maraculously use 18.9 litres per 100 n s**t like that, or surge or losse power, basically the transducer and ECU will squeal if it cant log your car K's, so it makes it run like s**t so you fix it, it's like that so people cant try to by-pass ODO or reduce K's for resale purposes....check that fuse, if its ok you may have another problem the odo unit its self might be f....ed or the actual transducer on the trans, if its just the fuse, concider what may of blown it in the first place?? there still may be a fault that will keep blown fuses..., but most likely not transducer if you get no odo or speedo or even fuel and coolant temp....just dash lights will work though but no odo or analogue guages...

WARNING: DRIVING WITH OUT ODO/SPEEDO SYSTEM NOT WORKING FOR TO LONG, MAY BLOW TRANS COMPUTER!!!!

try that mate....
Aaron

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:06 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 95 EF XR8 & a 09 FG GT

WA, Australia

sorry I miss read the last part of your post......yes you would do as I stated in my last post, but if it comes and goes, it won't be the fuse, still check it any way, but it must have an intermittant problem, where when it does loose power its as if the fuse hase blown, thus causeing like I stated in my last post, now in your case it is a matter of finding why the power comes and goes, sounds more like a loose wire that the fuse blowing..., try wiggle tests or wiggle the fuse, when you see it looses power??? it may be the wire supplying the fuse or even the one that runs to the unit its self, which may be more of an a**....to sort, may even be a loose fuse holder... its one of those things mate, where you just need to give it all the time, frustration, patience maybe money... you've got....

Aaron

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:31 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 97 EL futura & BF XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

i had a similar problem with my el but it was also blowing the headlights i took it to an auto electrician and found out that it was my alternator over charging

there is only 2 rules in driving go hard or go home

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:38 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

kovac wrote:
i had a similar problem with my el but it was also blowing the headlights i took it to an auto electrician and found out that it was my alternator over charging

Hmmm one of my headlights just blew recently. Is it easy to check for overcharging (check running voltage)?

My alternator is not even 2 years old, its an NRMA alternator though I think they are reconditioned not brand new?

Cheers, Jez

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:18 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

kovac wrote:

Hi Kovac,

I checked the charging voltage and it seems in range, low 14 volts. As the problem is intermittent could the over charge also be intermittent? Is that what you were getting?

I've hooked up a voltmeter so I can see the volts while driving. Wouldn't you know it the two trips I've taken since the problem hasn't occurred! :roll:

Cheers,
Jez

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

it was overcharging from the word go but at start it up was in the 14's but while i was revving it it was going up to 20.

not only was my dash crashing then restarting my headlights would dim then really bright for a couple times ( but it lasted for a good couple of months) then the low beams popped then i tried with high beams and when it was going dull then bright then back to normal but it would only do it whilst i was driving but as soon as i started the car it was fine untill i started driving it

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:47 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

kovac wrote:
it was overcharging from the word go but at start it up was in the 14's but while i was revving it it was going up to 20

You are correct the alternator was overcharging, the problem was also intermittent. Finally on Friday night the dashboard went blank and I had my multi-meter hooked up, 18 volts.

The NRMA alternator was still under warranty so got a new one installed for free :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

np glad to help

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]