Davies_Craig thermoswitch radiator problems 

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Davies_Craig thermoswitch radiator problems
Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:10 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: Futura

WA, Australia

my wiring works perfectly, and i bought the thermoswitch to fill in the tempswitch bit and the fkn probe that goes into the radiator hose continuously leaks no matter which way i try and align it and clamp over it..

how can i get this to not leak (esp under coolant pressure when hot).....

anyone else done it. its a copper wire from the probe but the clamp wont stop coolant coming out the sides..(even with grooved plastic bit that comes with the switch.)

gasket goo and glue the bastard on there seal around the edges???

94 ED Futura, 5spd, RPM clutch,3.27 LSD, PH4480 pacemakers, 2.5'' Supercat, STG 2 Wade1004-112 advanced16degrees, XH intake K&N panel,pedders superlows, Expursuit puter. clearindicators, volvoTT thermofan
15.3@146kph
Alpine deck,splits,rears, clarion amp P1Crossfire subboofa, tint

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Get a normal thermoswitch from A small 4 cyl car.

Drill/Tap the Thermostat cover (Ok - you need to take it off, but its easy) so that You can mount it in there.

No more leaks.

Nigel

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

QLD, Australia

I'd of stuck with the clutch fan, The clutch fan cools a LOT better than the thermo's ...

(waits for flaming!) lol .

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:47 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

y the cluthc fan sucks
takes power from the engine

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR8, XD Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

i assume your using the bit of rubber supplied with the kit to help seal
it.
try a little bit of silicon and 2 hose clamps works a treat.

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
y the cluthc fan sucks

Yes, it may take a bit of power from the motor, But, feel the power of the clutch fan compared to the thermo fans ... the clutch fan sucks HEAPS more air though the front end than the thermo's do .

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: Futura

WA, Australia

this thermo ive got is massive and is out of a twin turbo volvo. it spins soooo bloody fast! moves a hell of a lot of air.

94 ED Futura, 5spd, RPM clutch,3.27 LSD, PH4480 pacemakers, 2.5'' Supercat, STG 2 Wade1004-112 advanced16degrees, XH intake K&N panel,pedders superlows, Expursuit puter. clearindicators, volvoTT thermofan
15.3@146kph
Alpine deck,splits,rears, clarion amp P1Crossfire subboofa, tint

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
y the cluthc fan sucks

And where exactly do you think the power from the electric fans comes from?

Engine fan = physical power from engine.

Thermo fan = Physical power from engine --> Electrical power from alternator --> electrical power into chemical reaction by recharging battery --> electrical power from battery to physical power in fan.

Each stage of power conversion induces a power loss. It's not rocket science, far from it.

An electric fan that draws 10 amps will make 120w worth of airflow. Lets say you have an electric fan that draws 50 amps, thats 600w of airflow, or about 0.6kw.

So your engine fan sucks a few kw out of the motor. Further to not having any energy conversion losses, I think i'd rather have a clutch fan sucking more engine power but providing far superior cooling to any electric fan solution. Assuming your thermoclutch doesn't end up getting stuck on like many you hear...

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Agreed, I'd rather a motor that has a few KW less with a a better cooling system, then one with a few more KW and an electic thermo fans that don't cool as good ..

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Sorry to bring this back up, but my car always ran cold even with a new thermostat with the clutch fan on.
Anyways I ripped that off and installed thermos and I love the way the car warms up quicker from a cold start and definately accelerates better.

Anyway, I'm having the same leaking problem unfortunately, did you end up fixing yours FastFutura?

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:26 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ed futura

WA, Australia

au2low wrote:
Agreed, I'd rather a motor that has a few KW less with a a better cooling system, then one with a few more KW and an electic thermo fans that don't cool as good ..

the thumos hes got cool better. retail on one is 800$

www.thepurplecircle.com
original member.

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:34 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

WA, Australia

Bozz wrote:
Disco Frank wrote:
y the cluthc fan sucks

Thermo fan = Physical power from engine --> Electrical power from alternator --> electrical power into chemical reaction by recharging battery --> electrical power from battery to physical power in fan.

Each stage of power conversion induces a power loss. It's not rocket science, far from it.

An electric fan that draws 10 amps will make 120w worth of airflow. Lets say you have an electric fan that draws 50 amps, thats 600w of airflow, or about 0.6kw.

So your engine fan sucks a few kw out of the motor. Further to not having any energy conversion losses, I think i'd rather have a clutch fan sucking more engine power but providing far superior cooling to any electric fan solution. Assuming your thermoclutch doesn't end up getting stuck on like many you hear...

bozz fair comments for sure but when my alt produces or can produce over 120amps of current at crusiing speed and the fans be lucky to draw 50 amps max when both on full
also car barely gets over 1/4 hot on the gauge
the power loss fromt the draw on the alt is basically nothing.\

you guys are also forgetting that the thermos proved far more effective temprature control than any cluthc fan out there, would evry car have thermos if clutch fans were so good?
also no cluthc fan allows the engine to rev more freely and increase fuel econ

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
Bozz wrote:
Disco Frank wrote:
y the cluthc fan sucks

bozz fair comments for sure but when my alt produces or can produce over 120amps of current at crusiing speed and the fans be lucky to draw 50 amps max when both on full
also car barely gets over 1/4 hot on the gauge
the power loss fromt the draw on the alt is basically nothing.\

you guys are also forgetting that the thermos proved far more effective temprature control than any cluthc fan out there, would evry car have thermos if clutch fans were so good?
also no cluthc fan allows the engine to rev more freely and increase fuel econ

But the alternator doesnt provide you with 120W constant, but rather only while you need it. My car came with a clutch fan, and i know it robs me of some power, I can feel it switch off while driving, but im not really worried. Theres less chance of me doing another head, and after having replaced it twice since halfway through april, id rather not tempt fate.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:00 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

WA, Australia

wel lthe alt dont produce 120watts for 1
it over 120amps
it has the potential to put out that power with the same load on the engine
or a very very very minor increase either way thermos are a much better option to any clutch fan

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

voxace wrote:
Sorry to bring this back up, but my car always ran cold even with a new thermostat with the clutch fan on.
Anyways I ripped that off and installed thermos and I love the way the car warms up quicker from a cold start and definately accelerates better.

Anyway, I'm having the same leaking problem unfortunately, did you end up fixing yours FastFutura?

Your car defies physics if this is true and no other variables are changed.

When driving above approximately 50km/h on a calm day, the airspeed through the radiator from the air pressure in front of the car FAR exceeds what the fan could pull through it. Hence the fan is doing nothing.

So something else must have been modified or for some other reason has been affected by installing the thermofans. Besides, the clutch fan barely draws a kilowatt or less when its freewheeling, until it grabs then it definitely draws a few KW. I know for sure I'd rather an efficient fan pulling heaps of air through my radiator and a few KW lost when the engine needs it, not me thrashing an engine thats overheating with inadequate cooling.

Clutch fans are noisy. Look how EA's sound when the clutches stick. This uses additional fuel. Clutch fans are only good in rear wheel drive configurations. Why do Nissan still use clutch fans all the way to the last of the R34 Skylines? Technically Nissan's RB series motors are far superior in most regards to the 4 litre in the Falcon. There is a reason, you dont see Skyline drivers ripping off the clutch fan and replacing it for a gutless electric fan, R32 onward Skylines dont have cracked head faults unlike Ford 4 litre motors so its more of a reason not to do it. Same goes for Supra owners. Do you see many people replacing the clutch fans on 1JZ and 2JZ motors? Look at many other high performance RWD vehicles that can use a clutch fan. Why do you think they do?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next