Fordmods Logo

dead cylinder ? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: dead cylinder ?
Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

hey got a EA MPI with the 3.9L

i dont drive at all well soon i will but i want this car running well , now ive changed leads , plugs , complete dizzy setup , coil , o2 sensor , fuel filter , all injectors to brand new AU style ones

now for some reason this car was running quite well then all of a sudden its as if its dropped a cylinder my dad has told me we will pull of the rocker cover to cheek but i dont understand that

is there anything common that goes on the head of these I6s ?

i seriously dont get this car its even had a new fuel pump but still it hesitates and misfires

thank you in advance sorry for my outburst

Post subject: Re: dead cylinder ?
Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Ford LTD DA 1989

NSW, Australia

check your firing order

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

will double cheek it but it was all ok at one stage but ya good idea

ive also been told by someone respected on these forums it could also be a clogged / failed cat

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Was it running before all the work was done?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

nope , i got the car as a family air loum and has always run crap it has its good times and bad

ever since ive had it ive done heaps , new exhaust as well , roof lining etc

im now thinking its a blocked cat ?

my step dad is real good at cars hes even stumbled since ive spent so much on it he's thinking a sticky valve or something due to when i take lead 5 out it doesnt run that much worse

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Take lead number 5 all the way off, check it for resistance with a multimeter. Should be less than 20,000 ohms per meter at worse & less than 10,000 at best.

Pull all the plugs out, line them up on a table, in the order they were removed, from cyl 1 thru 6, and see what they look like, if they are all the same or what color the crap is on the tip.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

its had 2 sets of plugs in the car , set 1 only ran 20L of fuel thru them and they seemed to be all carbone'd up and black

and then put a new set back in , also leads are brand new but i will also double cheek there resistance

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

going bed , but set 1 had 20L of fuel only run thru the car but the injectors where just random ones so maybe leaky injectors making them carbon up

car has in the past had a head gasket replaced

what ill effects can gutting the cat do , i know its illegal but the car never goes on the road

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The ill effects of gutting a cat? It's an emissions control device, only used to reduce the tailpipe emissions.

In regards to the plugs being black, could be leaky injectors, could be a bad o2 sensor, split vac line to the map sensor, or a vac leak. Hell, it could even be a dodgy pcv valve letting too much oil fumes be burnt.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
The ill effects of gutting a cat? It's an emissions control device, only used to reduce the tailpipe emissions.

In regards to the plugs being black, could be leaky injectors, could be a bad o2 sensor, split vac line to the map sensor, or a vac leak. Hell, it could even be a dodgy pcv valve letting too much oil fumes be burnt.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

which in return i purchased BRAND new AU injectors they wernt so cheap to buy NEW not second hand or reco i think reco are just crap

also a new 02 sensor , i cant get my PCV valve out for some strange reason , it will not come out for the life of me but i can hear it when i block the hose of opening n closing

i couldn't care its going to be a "track" car would a gutted cat get me by for a few months just to eliminate the cat if i where to get to it and bash it out ?

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:31 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

i would do a compression test on all cyl, this can give you an idea if its a mechanical issue, also check the injector plug..

a blocked cat wont cause 1 cyl to miss, a blocked cat will cause lack of power and struggle to rev..

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
i would do a compression test on all cyl, this can give you an idea if its a mechanical issue, also check the injector plug..

a blocked cat wont cause 1 cyl to miss, a blocked cat will cause lack of power and struggle to rev..

Ok after a hard day of work i started at 5AM before the sun rose

i took the rocker cover of looked under there , did a compression test and i got 130 PSI on all 6 perfectly even

ignition was working all well ,

i also ran the vehicle with a infrared temp gauge and 5 cylinders on the manifold hit about 180C , but cylinder 5 was only hitting 80C

so i then put the car back together then i ended up thinking to my self what if my brand new injectors are faulty , so i replaced injector #5 to number 4 , then number 4 was cold on the manifold so it clicked so then after getting anther new injector the car runs perfectly now

now the car hunts and revs quite high then goes down but im guessing its the ECU re learning since it had the battery of over night and its gone to running like crap to revving high but smoothly

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Nice idea on the temp gauge! I must admit I'm a little surprised the injector turned up dodgy, glad it's been found & sorted. Yeah the ECU will learn for a while. Has the throttle body & ISC been cleaned out, they probably need a clean?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
Nice idea on the temp gauge! I must admit I'm a little surprised the injector turned up dodgy, glad it's been found & sorted. Yeah the ECU will learn for a while. Has the throttle body & ISC been cleaned out, they probably need a clean?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

i sent you a PM

ok the car is still running crap i did a diagnostics's the car seems to idle at about 1200RPM or more even but ive been told it will settle down after a couple tank fulls

now i did a diagnostic and got error 12 and 13 which is ISC , i have cleaned the throttle body about 4 times since having the car handed down to me , and the ISC has been changed to a "new" one when i got it but it says ford on it , so i think dodgy

but it has turned up with error 12 and 13 which is ISC, i got a multimeter and the loom which connects to the ISC is giving out voltage , so i got anther ISC random wreckers one and still no luck

its got power down low but mid range nothing it just bogs down im stumbled

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

Go back to basics, it's had a head gasket done yes? Have you checked cam timing?
Have you checked for a inlet manifold leak? Rocker cover to tb hose split? Other vaccume leaks? The ISC gasket is in good order?
Try swapping out the map with another unit, replaced the fuel filter? Running good fuel? Checked number 5 lead for resistance? Tried swapping plug 5 out?
When you disconect plug 5 does it run worse?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next