Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: death knock/rattle
Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

please help
that is all lol

what is this noise?

it first started as a slight knock/rattle only when starting and just at idle for a few seconds. it didnt rise when revved and only did it for those few seconds.
its slowly getting worse.
it wont do it when that car is loaded up and under heavy throttle.
only at idle.
i havent lost any power and it doesnt miss, nothing else is different.
its scaring the poop out of me!

i thought it may be a worn bearing of some sort, but its too constant (ie almost like a timing chain hitting something) but at times it dose get a bit more like tap tap tap tap.
ive done a bit of youtubing and think it MAY be loose flex plate bolts, which may be, i didnt use lock tight on the bolts.
its not torque converter bolts cause i've checked them.

i've felt along the sump and it feels like its coming from the middle of the engine at the bottom, but unless i've bent a rod and worn the piston pin and both rod bearings, i cant see how a bottom end knock can make this noise.
plus, the car is going very very strong considering its got a cracked head or blown head gasket.

i thought it may be starter motor gear being 'loose' in a sense that it doesnt retract properly and thought it may be bouncing off the flywheel, but that would be a much faster buzz type noise.
i also thought it was the timing chain, but i dont think its coming from that part of the engine.
other videos have suggested maybe water pump bearings or similar...

so really really need help.
im about to swap heads tomorrow, so im not going to do that with this engine if its a bottom end issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhKWeHUh1bA

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Post subject: Re: death knock/rattle
Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ford au

QLD, Australia

sounds like the flex plate bolts are only finger tight, i think they have to be done up to a certian tight ness

question, when it was just a slight tapping noise, did it sound like this

http://s649.photobucket.com/albums/uu21 ... eo0017.mp4

http://s649.photobucket.com/albums/uu21 ... eo0016.mp4

Daily Driver, Series 1 Au Forte

Quote:
Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

pretty much! it was a lil more eratic and still had a slight vibrationy sound, but yeah thats pretty close.

at first i thought it was the torque converter bolts, but i've had that happen before and after a few seconds i know that wasn't it.

i've had a few similar responses on boosted, so im pretty confident thats the issue :)

ill undo the torque converter tomorrow and push it back a bit so i can move the flex plate on its own and see what its doing.

thanks mate!

XG Panelvan

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

i was searching for the noise and even this ba has the same noise in my vids http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3sl-I8H ... re=related

Quote:
Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

all good, it was the bolts on the flexplate to the crank :)
unbolted the torque converter from it and it was looser than my mum

the tranny is fine, flex plate appears fine also, and i did go over the bolts a few times, but dont think i did it with my breaker bar.
so ill do it properly this time lol
that was the last rattle or annoiying noise in my engine, will be nice as to have it all quiet!

XG Panelvan

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

good to no, when i first started up mine after replacing the gear box. my mech forgot to do the bolts up tight, went to start it and sounded really f**k loud and was like the motor was f**k, then he relaised he didnt do the flex bolts up, lol

so if my noise was close to yours when it first started mine might be losse as well interesting

Quote:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]