Fordmods Logo

decisions...extractors and other issues. 

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:37 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

okay since im going to go with a 4480 and mild cam...what cam should i get since im not engine illiterate to go with the 4480s?

btw i prefer no regrinds

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

phongus wrote:
okay since im going to go with a 4480 and mild cam...what cam should i get since im not engine illiterate to go with the 4480s?

btw i prefer no regrinds

Well that cuts down your options and ups the price.
Why against regrinds? Half the people on this site run them, and the majority have never had an issue at all!
My recomendation on bang for buck is a Wade 1636, I'm sure RPD are great, but dollar for value Wade is a fair bit cheaper I believe.

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:04 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

aren't the regrind ones where u have to put shims and such?.....one of the mechanics said not to buy regrinds....honestly he never told me why *shrugs*.

ill guess ill have to shop around and do more research...

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA xr8 Magnet ute

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
aren't the regrind ones where u have to put shims and such?.....one of the mechanics said not to buy regrinds....honestly he never told me why *shrugs*.

Not always true.... My Stage 3 isnt a regrind (brand new) but i still had to put larger shims in to stop ticking issues.... The Reason most mechanics will tell you not to buy Re-grinds (my old man says it too LOL) is because when a Camshaft is made... a special Sheathing like surface is put on before its installed.. when a Camshaft is Ground off (re grinds) that surface gets taken off with the process and its supposably ment to de crease the life of the cam and possible rollers etc etc

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

phongus wrote:

AU motor on ebayhttp://cgi.ebay.com.au/Good-low-K-A ... dZViewItem
or check your local wreckers. for cam choice, RPD, sure cam package, wade or crow cams.

for extractors. got my numbers wrong with my previous post. ph4480's for low to mid, not the 4499.

if you are going for an AU motor, I'll let you know that wade don't make cams for them.
I'm currently running a crow high torque cam, which actually got rid of that lame takeoff with the auto. got some punch of the mark right up to 4500rpm. {mild port job} combine with wildcat 21x headers & supercats 21/2" cat back sport system. usable street-able torque, which I was after.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:24 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

thanks slick. i might just stick with the EL and use an AU head gasket..im sure it would work just as well...i hope.

and as for cam....i am looking for something with torque down low so the crow cam sounds quiet nice....how much would a mild cam cost? for crow, wade etc.

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA xr8 Magnet ute

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
thanks slick. i might just stick with the EL and use an AU head gasket..im sure it would work just as well...i hope.

and as for cam....i am looking for something with torque down low so the crow cam sounds quiet nice....how much would a mild cam cost? for crow, wade etc.

All Crow I6 Camshafts are $400 Brand New

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

phongus wrote:

when I got my crow high torque cam almost 2 years ago, it cost me $340 excluding fitting. their power band is 900-3500rpm :P
you can open it up even further with a mild head work, good intake, extractor & exhaust.

heres a scenario, I could jump off the line & gain two car lenghts ahead while the au XR6 next to me is playing catch up, singing towards the redline while I'm doing it with less revs. to the speed limit that is :lol:

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

So basically you can pay $400 for a Crow, or $120 for a Wade and $40 for a second set of shims, and spend the extra $240.00 on something else! And personally from my dealings with Crow parts there dodgy...

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
So basically you can pay $400 for a Crow, or $120 for a Wade and $40 for a second set of shims, and spend the extra $240.00 on something else! And personally from my dealings with Crow parts there dodgy...
Basiclly its how you approach the situation, you gotta stay calm, collective, courteous, show empathy & firm at all times when dealing with any supplier. At the end, you'll end up with a replacement cam plus complimentary heavy duty valve springs. :P

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Slick wrote:
twr7cx wrote:
Basiclly its how you approach the situation, you gotta stay calm, collective, courteous, show empathy & firm at all times when dealing with any supplier. At the end, you'll end up with a replacement cam plus complimentary heavy duty valve springs. :P

It doesn't compensate for the time f**k around trying to determine what the problem is, the gaskets when the engine has to be rebuilt, the trips (200km each way), etc.
Basically Crow f**k us around with some stuff on my old Hemi 265 - were Crow Cam, Valve springs, cam, crank, and oil pump crank, and timing chain. It wasn't the parts, but the information provided in regards to I think it was setting the springs in the head.
I've got a crow verniew cam gear and double heavy duty springs on the EF no worries, what can I say, but I get them cheap through work,
There's a lot of people who have trouble with them but.

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:20 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: el fairmont ghia

NSW, Australia

i have a crow stage 3 a veriner gear in my el. works well. got it cheap through work. Had trouble with the stage 1 alted performance cam. Never had any troubles with the crow. I rather a new cam just so u don't F**k around with shims etc.

LIVE LIFE FLAT OUT AND SIDEWAYS

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 5 Star Boxcar

NSW, Australia

daloud1 wrote:
i have a crow stage 3 a veriner gear in my el. works well. got it cheap through work. Had trouble with the stage 1 alted performance cam. Never had any troubles with the crow. I rather a new cam just so u don't F**k around with shims etc.

who fitted the alted cam for ya?

Kezz's 5sp Box Car ---> RPD enhanced with a bunch of other stuff

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:15 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

hmmm crow cam for 400? and a wade fo 120 plust 40 dollars for shims.....damn now i can't decide....go the crow due to them being brand new and nothing to worry about....or get wade...more money to do something with the car (shave heads) or something else. BAH

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2