Fordmods Logo

Dialing in cams 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Dialing in cams
Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: El

VIC, Australia

hey guys just put in a dev 5 kit n cam in my car n wonderin if u guys can tell me or explain as much as possible how to dial it in... ive been told by brendan from jmm .038" and i have an inch dial indicator so i can measure it. ne tips on setting it up and when i need to be using that measurement. any help would b great

EL GLi, DEV5 head, JMM race series extractors and exhaust.

Stereo, JVC headunit, clarion front and rear 6", 2 15" clarion pro series subs, 1 12" JL audio comp sub. Alpine V12 and us audio 5 channel amps

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Station Wagon.

Power: 150 rwkw

WA, Australia

From the measurment I will assume this is valve or cam lift at Top Dead Centre. Firstly you need to find out if it is valve lift or cam lift, then you will need to establish TDC to see if your timing mark is correct. Depending on wether it is valve or cam lift they will be measured in different ways.

4.0L EF Fairmont Station Wagon. EL GT Snorkel. K&N Pod in air box. 3" Intake piping.
Home port job. 1636 Wade cam. Wildcat Extractors, 2 1/2" cat and exhaust.
2200/2400rpm Dominator More Stall. Stage two mechanical shift kit. 3.73 4 pinion LSD. 15.078 @ 92mph.

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

they sed it was valve lift... and to use the dial indicator ontop of the rocker gear directly above it, find when it has zero lift, then turn the engine over.. does that mean that it will be 360 from when it should b firing???

also i just took it for a drive around the block n i dont think its gained much power at all if any, and over 2000 rpm its makin a whining noise from asfar as i can tell the front of the engine.. that wouldnt have anything at all to do with the cam not being dialed in would it??

Stereo, JVC headunit, clarion front and rear 6", 2 15" clarion pro series subs, 1 12" JL audio comp sub. Alpine V12 and us audio 5 channel amps

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: WRX

Power: 132 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I might get the same noise mate, its almsot like a whiny turbo air kinda noise?

Cept minus the turbo.

Happened to me when i did my wade 1636. Interested to find out what might cause it. Hope you get rid of it tho.

Car Killer.

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:54 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

yeh it is sorta, its worrying me a bit tho... i mean afta spending that much money on it i dont want it to be fu*in its self

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:19 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

dunno what sorta car you got but i just put a 977b cam in my eb and i forgot to advacne the timing.. took her for a spin and felt pretty crap actually.. got home advanced the timing a fair bit and now she rips alot harder now.. happy with it now

Ford EBII XR6 1992
Blue
Lowered with fully adjustable KONI suspension
3.45 LSD
5 speed Rebuilt gearbox
Fully rebuilt engine
12" velocity sub
Blupunkt 750watt mono bloc

Nissan Patrol 96 diesel
5inch lift
35inch Mickey T MTZ 12.5"
White
Front arb locker
Dual batterys
Big stereo

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:56 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

You will need to dial the cam in properly to get the most out of the cam. Check timing chain tensioner is correctly installed, might be chain rattle you're hearing...(if it's auto, some people have found that the torque convertor bolts were loose...:?)

Sorry but I can't really help you with your dialling in problem...I had a helping hand when I got mine done and now have forgotten how to do it.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

when checking the lift, you need to find the back side of the cam as Brendan told you, which when looking from the front of the motor, both the #1 cam lobes will be pointing downwards at a 4 o'clock Intake and 7 o'clock exhaust positions. Then you set your dial indicator to read zero, hardest part here is to make sure that your dial indicator is inline with the centerline of the valve stem, and that its parallel with it, whilst still maintaining contact with the rocker tip. When you turn it over, your dial indicator shouldnt move, however a couple of thou jitter is common, your exhaust valve will open first, then the intake will start to open. When you line up the TDC marks your intake valve should read a depression of 0.038", if it doesnt then you need to adjust the cam. If the depression is <0.038" advance the cam, and if its >0.038" retard the cam. Another thing to note here is that 6 cylinder harmonic balancers are very very rarely correct with the TDC marking, so making a piston stop, and trueing your TDC is advisable, as is only turning the motor over in the direction of operation, dont turn it backwards, it will only give you headaches with setting it up.

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]