Fordmods Logo

dialling in cam? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: dialling in cam?
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hows it done?ive got a crow stage 3 cam kit. Its the inlet valve overlap isnt it? so like for example the spec sheet says inlet valve overlap 0.69" when the crankshaft is on top dead centre no1 inlet valve should be open 0.69"?im a little unsure and am putting my cam in tommorow!so help asap would be awesome!

97 el xr6,5 speed short shifter,sequential scoop,no arial,freshly resprayed,low on 17's,3 inch zorst,stainless hi flo cat,snort stage 3 stainless manifold,garrett t04e,front mount cooler,wolf 3d ecu,seimens 760cc injectors,walbro fuel pump

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ford au wagon 4.0 na

Power: 170 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Mate first of all .Find tdc,setup the dial gauge on number 1 inlet valve. Rtate the engine in a clockwise direction by socket wrench on the crankshaft bolt.Look for when the valve is at its lowest point and set the dial gauge at zero.This is the case circle.

Rotate the crankshaft clockwise back to tdc and check the dial gauge.Is it on spec?If not loosen the vernier gear and rotate only the cam back and forward to specs.Tighten it.
Now DO NOT FORGET THIS STEP!! Turn the engine by hand until you have completed at least 2 revolutions so that you can hear/see if the valves are hitting the pistons.If you have any doubt put it back to where you started and take it to a workshop.

I skipped this step because I did not know about it and it cost me an engine. Ps if you cant see the specs on the gauge ..again put it back to standard.

If anyone can add to this please do...I am not overly confident about this either but I felt sorry for this poster not being answered to..

14.77 @92.71mph July 06 14.52@95.68mph July 07 14.241 96.7 MPH in a shoebox/taxi au ford wagon!!Bwahahah still cant believe it!!!

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thanks i asked my boss how to do it and got the idea now my problem is i cant get the specs i want,i get the spec i want when the crankshaft mark is at the ignition mark and when i go to top dead its double what it should be,ive tried moving the cam gear a tooth in the chain but it only gets worse so where it is is in the right tooth!any help?

97 el xr6,5 speed short shifter,sequential scoop,no arial,freshly resprayed,low on 17's,3 inch zorst,stainless hi flo cat,snort stage 3 stainless manifold,garrett t04e,front mount cooler,wolf 3d ecu,seimens 760cc injectors,walbro fuel pump

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ford au wagon 4.0 na

Power: 170 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Mate ,I had a similar dilemma .The best I got was .65 mm at tdc when it should be .90. At that spec my valves and pistons are clanking.I reckon I have maybe done something wrong so its up to someone else to answer the question.Soz mate.

14.77 @92.71mph July 06 14.52@95.68mph July 07 14.241 96.7 MPH in a shoebox/taxi au ford wagon!!Bwahahah still cant believe it!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]