Diference between egas engine and petrol BA engines 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NC II Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Spork wrote:
I have driven both.
If you like long country trips, or good (but not excellent) fuel economy. Go the E-GAS. You won't notice anly loss below 3000RPM.
You get about 18-20l/100Km in the city and about 12 on the highway.

Petrol is about 13 in the city and 9-10 on the highway.

If you like reving your car over 3000 RPM then go for petrol. The EGAS drops power and feels very dead.

drove to sydney airport today to drop old folks off so i thought id do a bit of research :D
while i was in sydney i was averaging around 15-16 litres every 100kms
while on the pacific highway i was averaging around 10 -11 litres
it wasnt during peak hour but there was alot of stop -start driving,cause of being around the airport it gets f**k busy.

cheers

it was a egas ba as well

"Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You don't stare at it. It's too risky. You get a sense of it and then you look away."

Now with el thermos fitted.

Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

i have an AUII EGAS ute ... and my fiancee's old man has a BA XL EGAS trayback ... the BA is muc better than the AU for performance.

As mentioned before it's punchy down low ... but a bit dead up top ... but for courier work ... I can tell you ... I ain't going petrol again ... that's for sure ... especially with the amount of km I do.

fuel consumption differences between LPG and petrol are negligable ... but the price difference is massive.

90L of ULP will cost you arond the $100 mark
90L of LPG will cost you around the $35 mark.

I know what I would choose ... and delivering around the city and suburbs ... there's no need to race as traffic is bad enough as it is.

I can notice the massive difference in price ... EGAS is great.

And there are mods for it ... I have had a chat with Joe from Crescent Motorsport ... and there are a few little mods that does unleash some hidden power.

I guess I'll see how it goes at the dyno day after the mods are completed.

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA

NSW, Australia

I have a feeling it was the valve-train that was made stronger in the BA egas engine but not 100% sure.

Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

The valve seals and the valves were different to cope with straight gas ... whereas the aftermarket dual fuel conversions still retain the normal petrol engine valves and seals ... they wore quickly due to the use of gas ... something to do with less lubrication.

Ford built the head differently for the EGAS motors to cope with this (hence green rocker cover) ... as far as know it's the only car marker out here that has done that for commercial vehicles.

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:29 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 5 images

WA, Australia

I really want an XR6 and the only thing stopping me is the fact that I do 500km plus a week and my EF duel fuller is so cheap to run

Ford boys keep saying it can't be done but the other day I specifically noticed (because I'm interested) a BA XR6 with a little red "LPG Gas" sticker on it's number plate.

Ford insist it can't be done. I'm going to check again with Gaspower.
Fwuck - if drag cars can be made to run on LPG I don't see why the BA can't.

Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NC II Fairlane

NSW, Australia

i can remember when we picked up our egas BA in SA there was a bloke in a white xr6 who had some special lpg conversion.
he said it could go on any ba including xr6t and xr8
im pretty sure he does touching up on cars but im sure some of the sa boys will now who im talking about.

cheers

"Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You don't stare at it. It's too risky. You get a sense of it and then you look away."

Now with el thermos fitted.

Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Yes it can be done but I think that you would have to disable the traction control. Imagine the missing when you give it a bootfull followed by the massive backfires. With something like a GTI setup you wouldn't have that problem at all but with a mixer type setup like the factory EGAS it would be a huge problem. Also the loss in top end grunt is mostly due to the brass mixer ring sitting infront of the throttle body. It is a pretty big restriction.

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:30 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF XR6

VIC, Australia

how does the factory one work, is it injected or is it mixed in through the air intake? id be guessing gas reasearch would have something worked out for BA's and a gas system look at taxis they have them, only thing i noticed with one taxi was a BA wagon it was on a dual fuel system and it kept backfiring bad the lady said to me as she pulled over it had been doing it all week, (it was 3am in the morning) and it backfired that much and hard it blew the head gasket out!

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

blew the head gasket out? really? omg!

:):):)

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

QLD, Australia

i think the only reason they say you can't run lpg on a standard ba is so they can void your warranty when you fit it.
Just a question, they hardened the valve seats to run unleaded, now they harden them to fun lpg. why don't they run harder, stronger valve seats and the like accross the whole range to make a stronger, more reliable and longer lasting motor?

Regards,
Punnisher_42

Favorite Quotes:
"Sportwagon = homo-erotic wank-fest." - downingj

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

Punnisher_42 wrote:
i think the only reason they say you can't run lpg on a standard ba is so they can void your warranty when you fit it.
Just a question, they hardened the valve seats to run unleaded, now they harden them to fun lpg. why don't they run harder, stronger valve seats and the like accross the whole range to make a stronger, more reliable and longer lasting motor?

If its not broke....

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2