Fordmods Logo

Diff ratios 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: Diff ratios
Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:40 am 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 7

Joined: 26th Oct 2008

Ride: falcon ef xr6

Location: sydney
NSW, Australia

i curently have an auto ef xr6 with 2.5 inch extractors, high flow cat and a exhaust all the way through and a stage 2 cam shaft.

At the moment my diff acts like an open diff as its starting to wear out (originaly comes with a lsd.) and i want to ether get this repaired with a difrent gear ratio in it or replace it with a stock diff.

My question is if anyone knows where to get a stock diff from for a good price and what would be the best gear ratio for my car set up (currently on 3.45).

I want as much acceleration as possible but at the same time i dont want to clock out on a circuit.

Any information will be great. Thanks
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Diff ratios
Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 54

Posts: 844

Joined: 12th Aug 2007

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

I can see this being a long thread.

Are you using the car as a daily driver, for racing or a weekend street machine? Going to a ratio above 3.45 means you need a speedo corrector to fix the speedo error. If you need acceleration above all else, use a 3.9 or 4.11 gear set. I had 3.7s with an auto and it was a good compromise between the the 3.45 & 3.9.

If you're LSD had been given a hard time and on the way out, it's probably better to get a reco one. I don't know what the charge for rebuilds.

 

_________________

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Diff ratios
Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 7

Joined: 26th Oct 2008

Ride: falcon ef xr6

Location: sydney
NSW, Australia

lol I can see why this might turn into a long thread, but ye i got quoted for $715 (reco original diff) which i think is decent but i thought maybe the second option (getting new second hand diff) maybe cheaper.

The car is a daily/weekend street machine/ racer (i know im crazy for doing that but im a poor P Plater who cant afford 2 cars lol) but im not worried about fuel economy, i can live with dat.

I read on another thread 3.9 is the way to go but i wouldn't mind hearing anyone else's input on it.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Diff ratios
Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 103

Joined: 10th May 2007

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: EF

Location: Cranbourne
VIC, Australia

Go for the 3.9's. Awesome acceleration and still very drivable as a daily. Sits on about 2200-2300rpm at 100k's (speed taken from gps as im to tight to buy a speedo corrector)

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Diff ratios
Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 7

Joined: 26th Oct 2008

Ride: falcon ef xr6

Location: sydney
NSW, Australia

izedso wrote:
Go for the 3.9's. Awesome acceleration and still very drivable as a daily. Sits on about 2200-2300rpm at 100k's (speed taken from gps as im to tight to buy a speedo corrector)


how much are these speedo corrector, and plus if you dident have one, dose it say your doing a faster speed or a slower speed?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Diff ratios
Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6166

Joined: 8th May 2007

4.11's for a n/a auto 6

even those will be not enough to fix the s**t gearing of the autobox
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Diff ratios
Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 2515

Joined: 27th Mar 2006

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

What kind of racing is it used for? If it is anything apart from quarter miles you're probably better off saving for a manual conversion and keeping your current ratio in the diff.

However if you want to keep auto go 3.9 or 4.11, you won't notice much difference in fuel around town, just a bit more on the highway. If you actually use it at the track I would consider getting a 4wd systems lokka, although legality of them is questionable (I tried getting an answer out of qld transport and they were useless), as much stronger than the s**t cone type LSD. They are a little harsh on the street but not as bad as having a locked diff and in my opinion worth it for the extra control on the track.

 

_________________

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Diff ratios
Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 54

Posts: 844

Joined: 12th Aug 2007

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

combes351 wrote:
izedso wrote:
Go for the 3.9's. Awesome acceleration and still very drivable as a daily. Sits on about 2200-2300rpm at 100k's (speed taken from gps as im to tight to buy a speedo corrector)


how much are these speedo corrector, and plus if you didn't have one, dose it say your doing a faster speed or a slower speed?


Jaycar sell the speedo corrector kit for $55 and youl have to assemble it. The speedo reading will be higher than what you're actually travelling at.

A GPS gives a correct reading when maintaining a constant speed, but if you're accelerating it doesn't keep up with you. Plus, you have to keep removing it every time you leave your car parked on the street.

 

_________________

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Diff ratios
Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 4182

Joined: 30th May 2005

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

Location: BrisVegas
QLD, Australia

skidder wrote:
What kind of racing is it used for? If it is anything apart from quarter miles you're probably better off saving for a manual conversion and keeping your current ratio in the diff.

However if you want to keep auto go 3.9 or 4.11, you won't notice much difference in fuel around town, just a bit more on the highway. If you actually use it at the track I would consider getting a 4wd systems lokka, although legality of them is questionable (I tried getting an answer out of qld transport and they were useless), as much stronger than the s**t cone type LSD. They are a little harsh on the street but not as bad as having a locked diff and in my opinion worth it for the extra control on the track.


I managed to get an answer out of QT in regards to Diffs, the result - If it allows Differential Action (i.e both wheels can spin at a different speed) then it is legal. As such, the 4WD Systems Lokka is LEGAL.

 

_________________

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

51TER - DL LTD. Stock.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Diff ratios
Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 2515

Joined: 27th Mar 2006

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

Sweet...when I called up I got some useless chick who I doubt knew what a diff was.

 

_________________

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Diff ratios
Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 24

Joined: 11th Mar 2009

Ride: FORD FALCON XR6

Location: Mill Park
VIC, Australia

Go 4.11's you wont regret it, my friend made the mistake of buying 3.7's for his and ther was not much diffrence from the 3.45's, 4.11's will get you up n boogying. as for the lsd it will cost about $200 to reco the current one, or you could get a minispool (very annoying) but will never single until you break an axle.
i agrre with the other guys and get some sort of mechanical locker. expensive but good for all parts of driving.
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:50 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names