Fordmods Logo

Difference between ED and EL water pumps. 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: Difference between ED and EL water pumps.
Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2772

Joined: 27th Jan 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BOXCAR (Not some sorry ass EF/EL

Location: Mackay, Far North New South Wales.
QLD, Australia

As the title ask's, what is the difference between ED and EL water pumps? Is the only difference the absense of the fan mounting threads on the EL water pump? The reason I'm asking is because I'm about to fit the EL thermos and from what I can see the fan mount thread is going to get in the way. Any help would be appreciated.

 

_________________

The artist formerly known as seton005 (and allegedly The_Murph).

When I was growing up, we were so poor we could'nt even afford to pay attention.

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 2282

Joined: 14th Jan 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

ef/el water pumps are designed for the serpentine belt where as the ea\b\d waterpumps are designed to run the clutch fan. im pretty sure they both have the same bolt patterns

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 2282

Joined: 14th Jan 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

if your going to be running thermo's then just bolt a new ed pump in. you going to have to leave the puller bolted to it as that particular belt runs either the alt or the p/s pump

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2772

Joined: 27th Jan 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BOXCAR (Not some sorry ass EF/EL

Location: Mackay, Far North New South Wales.
QLD, Australia

nannas_ed wrote:
if your going to be running thermo's then just bolt a new ed pump in. you going to have to leave the puller bolted to it as that particular belt runs either the alt or the p/s pump
The pullies bolt to the water pump (ie, I dont think you get the pulley with a new pump). I suppose I just need to find out if the part numbers are different to know for sure, didnt think of that before.

 

_________________

The artist formerly known as seton005 (and allegedly The_Murph).

When I was growing up, we were so poor we could'nt even afford to pay attention.

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:10 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 2282

Joined: 14th Jan 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

seton005 wrote:
nannas_ed wrote:
if your going to be running thermo's then just bolt a new ed pump in. you going to have to leave the puller bolted to it as that particular belt runs either the alt or the p/s pump
The pullies bolt to the water pump (ie, I dont think you get the pulley with a new pump). I suppose I just need to find out if the part numbers are different to know for sure, didnt think of that before.


yeh just unbolt the pulley theres 4x 10mm bolts and when you install the new pump bolt the pulley back on less the clutch fan and youll be sweet

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Difference between ED and EL water pumps.
Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:34 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 54

Posts: 4102

Joined: 18th Nov 2004

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

Location: Carrum Downs
VIC, Australia

seton005 wrote:
As the title ask's, what is the difference between ED and EL water pumps? Is the only difference the absense of the fan mounting threads on the EL water pump? The reason I'm asking is because I'm about to fit the EL thermos and from what I can see the fan mount thread is going to get in the way. Any help would be appreciated.


The thread for the fan should just clear the shroud, well it did on my EA.

EF/EL pumps have a pressed on smooth pully, also take differant size bottom hose.

 

_________________

Image
She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: ???
Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 476

Joined: 28th Jan 2005

Ride: 1990 EA Spac

Location: grenfell
NSW, Australia

EF/EL pumps also have a different size pipe for the bottom hose, its smaller.
Just use the ED pump and pully, but before u fit it cut the threaded part off with a angle grinder, take it slowly as u dont want to get it very hot and bugger the seal. I have done this to my EA when fitting thermo's with out any probs.

 

_________________

Drive safe, arrive alive

EA Spak EL dash and interior, thermo's,BBM, EF head and cam, superlows,

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2772

Joined: 27th Jan 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BOXCAR (Not some sorry ass EF/EL

Location: Mackay, Far North New South Wales.
QLD, Australia

Thanks guys.

 

_________________

The artist formerly known as seton005 (and allegedly The_Murph).

When I was growing up, we were so poor we could'nt even afford to pay attention.

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:20 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Posts: 227

Joined: 11th Dec 2004

Location: Gold Coast
QLD, Australia

I think the ef-el water pump is actually reverse rotation for the serpentine belt.
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 32 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:46 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names