Fordmods Logo

Differences between AU motor and AU XR6 Motor 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Differences between AU motor and AU XR6 Motor
Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:43 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU Falcon II

SA, Australia

Ok so if this has already been mentioned in another thread im sorry but i couldnt find it, im basically just wanting to know ALL of the differences between the standard AU series 2 engine and the AU XR6 engine, obviously i know the VCT and the cams are different but what else? Im looking at doing the conversion and want to know if its possible to just buy the head up + ecu or if i need different sensors, parts from the bottom end etc.

Watt's linkage is used in the rear axle of some car suspensions as an improvement over the Panhard rod.

Post subject: Re: Differences between AU motor and AU XR6 Motor
Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Don't bother, it's not worth the effort unless the current engine is getting tired? Your money could be spent a lot better on the engine already in the car. The power difference is minimal.

Slavery, gets s**t done!

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:13 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Engines done 236,000kms so yeah id say its getting a bit tired, changing the ECU side of it is no probs as i want to change to a manual gearbox at the same time and i work for mazda so i have the programs available to change it, i just wanted to know what the was different because i looked on a wrecking site in SA and they sell just the engine for 850 or the whole conversion kit for 1500 and i wanted to know what id be getting for the extra 650

Watt's linkage is used in the rear axle of some car suspensions as an improvement over the Panhard rod.

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

236,000kms for these engines isn't a hell of a lot. I would spend the $1500 on the motor already in the vehicle. Do a compression test and see how healthy it is. And you don't have to change the ecu if your changing to a manual transmission.

Slavery, gets s**t done!

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

236,000kms? Mate she isn't even run in yet.

Mine has 787,000kms and makes just as much power as a 200,000kms example. These engines just don't get tired. Sure they spring little leaks here and there but they just never seem to show any mechanical signs of wear.

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

lol yeah ok i have nothing on the 700,000+ kms, ok i keep getting mixed replies on this whole changing the ECU for manual conversion bit, besides changing to a manual ecu or changing the current ECU to 'manual' mode is there any other way because i got a reply this morning saying that the resistor trick works but in other forums people say it doesnt im just getting way to confused by it, yeah your probably right about the engine change, but wont any change i do to the current engine will need an aftermarket computer to work properly (cam change etc.) ?

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Just do the resistor trick for the Auto ecu, to think it's in Neutral constantly. I converted my old EB XR6 to manual and I didn't even have to do it.

And in regards to an aftermarket ecu for mods, depending how large the cam is, you might. A good intake and exhaust is a good starting point, and maybe a Wade camshaft after that. You should only need a tune if it's a very aggressive cam.

If your tight with your funds, a full exhaust, cam change and intake should be had for $1500.

Slavery, gets s**t done!

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Apprentice Mechanic so funds are really tight, car already has 2.5" in it came with the car when i bought it just needs a set of extractors now, what intake upgrades? keeping in mind its a dual fuel job as im cheap and its my daily *hangs head in shame* yeah apparently the AU's are different because they learn past the resistor trick, dont ask me how thats just what ive read on forums

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:58 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

the ecu's only learn past the engine paramiters, but the resister trick is just for transmission position and transmission temperature which the ecu wont change,

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

blacksabbath189 wrote:
Just do the resistor trick for the Auto ecu, to think it's in Neutral constantly. I converted my old EB XR6 to manual and I didn't even have to do it.

And in regards to an aftermarket ecu for mods, depending how large the cam is, you might. A good intake and exhaust is a good starting point, and maybe a Wade camshaft after that. You should only need a tune if it's a very aggressive cam.

If your tight with your funds, a full exhaust, cam change and intake should be had for $1500.

For some reason, an AU needs a tune with a minor cam change, and, although people say the resistor trick is not able to be done on an AU, dansedgli did it, with success.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:09 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Yeah i thought it would need tuning, so i think ill just stick to the xr6 engine if i can find the setup cheap enough, sweet thanks for the info on the resistor trick that was the one hassle i was worried about with changing to a manual, is it true the thermofans will be on constantly though due to the trans temp sensor being unplugged? if so would it be possible to wire it up to a coolant temp sensor?

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Disregard my last post i just realised the resistor trick is what shuts off the fans

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

67RCE wrote:
blacksabbath189 wrote:

For some reason, an AU needs a tune with a minor cam change, and, although people say the resistor trick is not able to be done on an AU, dansedgli did it, with success.

I thought only Au's with VCT had cam swap issues?

Slavery, gets s**t done!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]