Disconnecting the computer Idle control 

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MkII XR6 Ute

VIC, Australia

Kit wrote:
I must make that led for retrieving codes.

Ditto.

We'll keep our cow s**t in the country, you keep your bull s**t in the city.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

tomcolahan wrote:
The cold starts are the only real disadvantage i can find of not running the ISC, which is why i think having a switch for it could be a good idea.

Only other thing i wondered about is whether error codes are logged when ISC is not functioning?

Yes if the isc is not connected error codes ARE generated :roll: :cry:

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

All of the time? or just at startup?

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:03 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

tomcolahan wrote:
Ever noticed how little engine braking the I6 has for a reasonably large displacement engine? ... I had been told this was due to the ISC holding revs (hence the 'hanging revs' that people talk about in regard to these engine) to decrease emmissions.

My turbo 323 4WD uses a little damper on the throttle for similar reasons - forgot about that one :D So it seems that the ISC has a big part in reducing emissions then - learn something every day :D

For you guys not wanting the ISC connected when the engine is warm, all you need is a comparator circuit commented to the temp gauge and a relay. This circuit would senses the temperature and trip a relay to disconnect the ISC when the engine is warm. You should be able to find little comparator kits that could be used as a base for this in d**k smiths.

Cheers.

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

That would be a nice automatic way of doing a similar thing to a switch, but you also give up some aspect of control of not being able to switch it yourself. The problem with error codes still remains though.

Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:32 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

tomcolahan wrote:
That would be a nice automatic way of doing a similar thing to a switch, but you also give up some aspect of control of not being able to switch it yourself. The problem with error codes still remains though.

Not really, a switch could be incorporated in the circuit to override the disconnection function (or force the disconnection function).

As for error codes, that depends on how the ECU handles the ISC. If it only checks ISC operation at start up (moves the valve to its limits and checks for changed engine speed?) then you may avoid triggering faults by having a delay function so that it always starts with ISC connected and then disconnects after a set time or when the engine is warm (whichever is the later) If the ISC is tested by ECU during engine operation, then your stuffed.

Cheers.

Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:54 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EBII GLi

VIC, Australia

hey if you read my post named "help please.. car stalling" then you might think, like me, that it could be my ISC.

when i have a look at my engine there is a blue connector not attached to anything towards the front of the engine, its square looking. is that the ISC?

cheers

Daniel

1992 Ford EBII GLi Sedan Auto
|| Darkest Legal || Stereo: Focal Polyglass, Alpine deck and rears, Audison and Clarion amps, kicker 12" || Alarm || Clear Front Blinkers || Redback zorst 4" chrome dumpy! || Lowered (lows) || 15" EB S-Pack rims || Fairmont Ghia doortrims

Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:09 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Nah that's nothing (unless you got a fairmont), just a plug for a temperature sensor of some description....
Just make sure your base idle is high enough man...

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:11 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

EBII Falcon wrote:
hey if you read my post named "help please.. car stalling" then you might think, like me, that it could be my ISC.

when i have a look at my engine there is a blue connector not attached to anything towards the front of the engine, its square looking. is that the ISC?

cheers

Daniel

The ISCon my EF is on top of the throttle body and the plug is black and a b**ch to get off.

EB's i have seen at wrecking yards, there is a blue connector that plugs into the coolant sensor on the thermostat housing. EBs seem to have a seperate coolant sensor for the ECU and another for the temperature gauge in the cluster and from memory there is some other plug there aswell :) Anyway have a look at the thermostat housing for some connector without a plug in it :D

Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2