Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: do i need to loosen timing chain when changing cams
Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

hi all

bout to change cams and just wondering if i need to loosen the timing chain and if so how do i loosen it

cheers

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Post subject: Re: do i need to loosen timing chain when changing cams
Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
hi all

bout to change cams and just wondering if i need to loosen the timing chain and if so how do i loosen it

cheers

Yes , situated between the power steering pump and the timing cover is a special hydraulic timing chain tension. Remove the whole thing out of the timing cover.

One item you will be able to remove with a spanner/socket the main body will require a special tool ( similar to a angle grinding wheel tool)remover ) that uses two pins to undo the body of the hydraulic tension. If your lucky enough the whole body mite undo with a socket/spanner. Not always the case.

Best bet is have a look in a manual you will understand the procedure that is required.

cheers

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF daily, xc project

NSW, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
hi all

cheers

nah man u dont its easy as to change cams,

just take off your rocker cover, cable the chain to the chain to the sprocket undo the cam sprocket bolt and off she comes. you might want to get some string or rope and tie the sprocket to the top it the bonnet to prevent it from falling into the timing case and to ensure the chain stays on everything else..

then remove the rocker gear remove cam,

i found the easiest way to put it back together is to put the cam into the sprocket first and do it up loosely.
put the cam in and then rocker gear on top tighten up rocker gear to use it as leverage to get it all back in then fully tighten up the cam sprocket.

Simple

ef falcon daily driver
78 xc falcon 500 project
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/bradley4567-s-xc-t83750.html

calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

bradley4567 wrote:
ef_falcon_95 wrote:
hi all

cheers

just take off your rocker cover, cable the chain to the chain to the sprocket undo the cam sprocket bolt and off she comes. you might want to get some string or rope and tie the sprocket to the top it the bonnet to prevent it from falling into the timing case and to ensure the chain stays on everything else..

i found the easiest way to put it back together is to put the cam into the sprocket first and do it up loosely.
put the cam in and then rocker gear on top tighten up rocker gear to use it as leverage to get it all back in then fully tighten up the cam sprocket.

Simple

NO WAY. DO NOT EVER EVER EVER EVER FOLLOW THE ABOVE ADVICE.

You absolutely must remove the chain tensioner, and reset the tensioner when you refit it.

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

to get it back on i somtimes find i have to loosen the tensioner behind the p/s pump to get the sprocket close enough to cam without stressing all the plastic chain guides.
car at tdc ,
cable tie chain to sprocket , to stop falling hlas block head oil passages i usually put a clean rag in/over the timing case aswell
to get the sprocket off i just poke through a extentsion bar onto the first pedastil to stop the gear spining and unbolt it.
then loosen rocker pedastil bolts from the center out in a spiral.
rocker gear then lifts off cam will then lift off
check hla function and add shims for aftermarket cams, pull off front pedastil and full the 2 gallerys with fresh oil
replace cam ,first hand tighten the rocker gear center out spiral pattern.then tighten obviously
cam sprocket bolt is tightend to spec tourqe which is heaps tight and use locktite if you can

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

tickford_6 wrote:

i agree, whilst tieing to the bonnet can stop the up & down movement, it wont stop lateral movement ie: tensioner clicking out

so yes you must reset the tensioner for a cam swap, however depending how much of a hero you are, i just hold the cam gear up tight as i can and swap over cams with my other hand.... its certainly not the "right" way to do it, but it works for me :)

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

bradley4567 wrote:
ef_falcon_95 wrote:
hi all

cheers

Simple

Never ever do this!!!

Member Number 8804

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:19 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

bradley4567 wrote:
ef_falcon_95 wrote:
hi all

cheers

Simple

You sir...are an idiot...

Don't follow bradley4567...I did that once and I stuffed my engine up. Tensioner is stuck in timing case housing at the moment...because the "Tensioner Piston" was pushing against the cam chain guide a wrong way and caused many issues.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Last edited by phongus on Sat May 08, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Fairmont Ghia & TS Magna

NSW, Australia

bradley4567 wrote:
ef_falcon_95 wrote:
hi all

cheers

Simple

if you do it this way you would have a very good chance of stripping the bolt holes in the head, then you would need to use helicoils to fix this the problem

cheers bear

I don't know what to write in here LOL
Bear's Build Thread

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

FordFairmont wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:

i agree, whilst tieing to the bonnet can stop the up & down movement, it wont stop lateral movement ie: tensioner clicking out

so yes you must reset the tensioner for a cam swap, however depending how much of a hero you are, i just hold the cam gear up tight as i can and swap over cams with my other hand.... its certainly not the "right" way to do it, but it works for me :)

Yeah well if being a hero makes you feel good then go for it. but dont cry when it breaks guides or snaps an AUX shaft

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

hey thanks every one for the help i didnt do wat bradley4567 suggested i removed the power steering pump and undone the tensioner then the gear slid perfectly onto the cam:)

and i was lucky that i didnt need that special tool to loosen the tensioner
but my next question is how tight is the chain suposed to be??

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

you dont have to loose the chain, just do the broom and and brick trick. ive done it a few times and never had a problem. http://www.fordmods.com/documents.php?d=59

tho i just read you've done it

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
hey thanks every one for the help i didnt do wat bradley4567 suggested i removed the power steering pump and undone the tensioner then the gear slid perfectly onto the cam:)

BEFORE you refit the tensioner, you will need to wind the tensioner back.
Easy to do, Compress the tensioner will twisting it, it will lock into place.
Then refit the tensioner and outer part of the retainer.
The using an allen/hex key inserted through the retainer you need to unlock the tensioner, you will hear it click out and it will take up the slack in the chain.
then refit the center bolt part of the retainer.

oil pressure tensions the chain.

and i say again. NEVER EVER listen to any idiot that says you can safely and reliably change cams with out properly removing and resetting the tensioner.

and to those who are saying you can. STOP giving bad advice.

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i got all my car back together, it started fine then i took it for a drive and it went good but when i came back i popped the bonnet and i have loud lifter tick or some ticking from the engine?? the cam i put in is a wade 1673 regrind i shimmed each lifter with 2 shims , so i have no idea what is causing the ticking???? please help

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF daily, xc project

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
ef_falcon_95 wrote:

BEFORE you refit the tensioner, you will need to wind the tensioner back.
Easy to do, Compress the tensioner will twisting it, it will lock into place.
Then refit the tensioner and outer part of the retainer.
The using an allen/hex key inserted through the retainer you need to unlock the tensioner, you will hear it click out and it will take up the slack in the chain.
then refit the center bolt part of the retainer.

oil pressure tensions the chain.

and i say again. NEVER EVER listen to any idiot that says you can safely and reliably change cams with out properly removing and resetting the tensioner.

and to those who are saying you can. STOP giving bad advice.

i was given the advice from several members on this forum who said to do it that way,
it works fine and hasnt caused any issues so before you go flaming people how about u shut your mouth and let everyone express their methods

ef falcon daily driver
78 xc falcon 500 project
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/bradley4567-s-xc-t83750.html

calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next