do pods do a job????? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: do pods do a job?????
Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:55 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Futura

VIC, Australia

i fitted this and it sounds better and feels a little better, am i just thinking that it goes better or does it?????????

Attachments:
File comment: should it be covered ? will it do ne thing?
,000.JPG
,000.JPG [ 51.16 KiB | Viewed 85 times ]

Rehab is for quitters !

Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: FG GT335

SA, Australia

atm you are only sucking in hot air which means you will actually have less performance. put a heat shield or box it with a tickford snorkle so that it is only sucking cold air. i have pics of my setup in my gallery

Thank god for the XR6 Turbo!!!!!

Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ea falcon

VIC, Australia

My EA is runnin a POD in an EF box atm im gettin enuff cold air (according to testing at workshop)
without an AU snorkel fitted! But i will keep an eye on it coz its obviously quite cool in melb atm.
And it mite run to hot in summer.

EB XR6 project almost complete!

Soon on road with pics!

Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:08 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA FALCON

QLD, Australia

This is what i did to my old au, it worked quite well, it was my idea, noticed ebay has just started selling them... thought to get the cold air in i put on a scoop, didnt think it'd look good, but it suited that car rather good!

Attachments:
Picture 011.JPG
Picture 011.JPG [ 62.43 KiB | Viewed 159 times ]

CAM860 - White BA 05 Futura, GT bodykit, Cobra badges, BSA 18" mags, Altezza tail lights, Lower bumper forced pod induction

Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ea falcon

VIC, Australia

CAMERONCOULSTON wrote:
This is what i did to my old au, it worked quite well, it was my idea, noticed ebay has just started selling them... thought to get the cold air in i put on a scoop, didnt think it'd look good, but it suited that car rather good!

Seems like that mite be pullin alotta hot air prob not a good setup.
how have you mounted the pod so it doesnt slide around.

EB XR6 project almost complete!

Soon on road with pics!

Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:32 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

nah the pod sat there really firm, worked well because i had a nissan patroll scoop cut into the bonnet right where the pod is, the pod was actually sitting up in the scoop protruding from the bonnet a bit. yeh, it would have got some hot air from the headers but it got more cold air in the scoop, not the 'best possible" setup but it performed alot better than most atermarket pannel filter or ss induction.

Attachments:
Picture 007.JPG
Picture 007.JPG [ 48.19 KiB | Viewed 104 times ]

CAM860 - White BA 05 Futura, GT bodykit, Cobra badges, BSA 18" mags, Altezza tail lights, Lower bumper forced pod induction

Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:06 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Futura ED

NSW, Australia

i had a pod setup just like yours in my ED falcon.

the only difference i realised straight away was more louder noise from the engine, can hear it constantly suck.

last week i threw the stock box back on, and seems to go better, cause of its using colder air.

box your pod and it should go better

Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:16 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

yeh, it would have and i was going to get a fibreglass box made up but the car isnt mine anymore so it dosent worry me the slightest! :lol:

Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

you'll get no noticable advantage from a pod unless it is boxed, and you modify the intake so as to suck more air than standard, otherwise it'll justsuck the same as normal.
Also, most pods let too much s**t flow through... so they are not useful at all, just suck unhealthy stuff into the engine.

Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Au XR6 VCT

NSW, Australia

I have a pod mounted exactly the same as old mate up top, was thinking of putting one of those sequncial scoops in place of the left bonnet vent would this get enough cold air onto it?

Go the mighty blue oval!!!!!!

Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:05 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

if you dont want to cut holes in your bonnet the best way is to run piping down to the front bar and have forced a forced induction setup. or my mate has on his maloo a stainless steel plate dirvirting air to an ss big mouth induction, because lets face it where the factory inductions sit, they sit up under the bonnet when its closed.

Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:12 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

oh and before you comment on this soulfire... im trying to give some suggestions, im not saying they are what everyone would do, just some ideas and little things ive done in the past and tested.

Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:18 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

actually, please tell me if im wrong, but the way i see it is when you plant it the throttle body opens up and the less restriction the quicker and easier the air can be sucked in, rather than having to pull it up through a twisted stock pannel filter setup. sure its not going to have any advantage if its sucking hot air because people dont think to vent to get cool air to the pod, but if it does get the cooler air... its basically stright down there when it needs it.

Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Au XR6 VCT

NSW, Australia

What i ment mate was that you can buy these scoops that bolt straight into were the bonnet grill (only on a xr6/8) is so you don't really have to cut anything at all and what do people use for heat shielding?

Go the mighty blue oval!!!!!!

Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

CAMERONCOULSTON wrote:
actually, please tell me if im wrong, but the way i see it is when you plant it the throttle body opens up and the less restriction the quicker and easier the air can be sucked in, rather than having to pull it up through a twisted stock pannel filter setup. sure its not going to have any advantage if its sucking hot air because people dont think to vent to get cool air to the pod, but if it does get the cooler air... its basically stright down there when it needs it.

The difference in flow between stock panel and pod doesn't really justify the drop in filtration. A paper panel filter really doesn't restrict much flow as compared to a pod if your are still runnign the factory airbox/intake.
I'm all for a pod if you get a truly good setup (ie Apexi power intake and the likes) and mount it somewhere where it actually gets the flow it needs.

Will still make 99.99% of f**k all difference on a stock setup... works a bit better when your talking turbos though. My mate has an 00 wrx and when he slapped an Apexi power intake on he noticed a big drop in the time it was taking his turbo to spool.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next