Fordmods Logo

Dodgey Mechanic, who do i complain to? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Dodgey Mechanic, who do i complain to?
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Hi, a mechanic has threaded the crankshaft thread and ive got the car sitting at another workshop and it looks like this might cost me a fair bit and im really f**k off. Theyre gonna try to get a helicoil onto it, but if its hardened, then he reckons a new crankshaft is needed

Im in QLD, and wanna know is there government body that deals with mechanic complaints?

Im also gonna sue the original mechanic for whatever its gonna cost to fix this problem that he caused, and wanna know possible costs to be able to do this

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:21 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

dam that sucks but i bet the 1st mechanic says it was like that then he got i know i had a problem like this and there was nothing i could do except kick his a** but that would have cost me more money time lol

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ELXR8 SERIES 2

SA, Australia

here in s.a. it costs about $100 to take a person to small claims court. all ya do is head down to the local court house and fill out some paperwork then drop a copy off to the person who you are having trouble with witch tells them they need to apear in court on whatever date. before you go to court you need to get another mechanic to write out what problems he found and what caused them (ie, the first mechanic) and take this to court with ya. thats what i had to look into but i had a mate that is a mechanic that was willing to come to court with me but once i told the original mechanic that fuked up all of that i got my money back very quickly.

EL XR8 SERIES 2, 5SPD, HOT CHILLI RED, 200 ODD RWKW OF V8 FUN AND GAMES

EF XR6, 5SPD, HERITAGE GREEN, AU XR6 VCT ENGINE

VL COMMODORE, 5SPD, WHITE

BA XT, AUTO, OFFSHORE BLUE

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:50 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

in nsw we have the mvria (motor vehicle repair industrie authority)
i assume its the same from state to state..
you put what happened in writing and contact them.
you can also contact the mechanic and tell him what you plan to do.
he may just coff up the costs to avoid going to court..

the mvria usually mediates between you and the mechanic in a small meeting between you,the mechanic and a mvria rep. and the mvria rep will look at the damages and try to come to a agreement where both partys are happy.
if there is no success with the first meeting you will end up in court..

i had a case with a engine builder in 2002 and we came to an agreement (with the help of the mvria) in the first meeting and it cost me nothing....

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

thanks guys, i found and rang a place called MTAQ and theyre to busy to talk to me apparently :roll:

So when they get back to me i'll take it from there. Im also debating whether i should try and mediate or should i go straight to small claims court.

If the mechanic manages to make things turn his way through the MTAQ, then he will have more ammo at court to use.

This thread prolly more suited to the off-topic section, but was also hoping for advice and experiences with threading the crankshaft making it impossible to get the balancer on, and how and what costs did it take to fix it?

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:18 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

the only advice i have is to write everything down
all times of phone conversations etc
dates u went in with car

also get a written report from the mechanic of where the cars is now to what the problem is and what is needed to fix it
both cheapest ( helicoil ) and worst case new crank

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ELXR8 SERIES 2

SA, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
thanks guys, i found and rang a place called MTAQ and theyre to busy to talk to me apparently :roll:

So when they get back to me i'll take it from there. Im also debating whether i should try and mediate or should i go straight to small claims court.

If the mechanic manages to make things turn his way through the MTAQ, then he will have more ammo at court to use.

This thread prolly more suited to the off-topic section, but was also hoping for advice and experiences with threading the crankshaft making it impossible to get the balancer on, and how and what costs did it take to fix it?

always try to mediate with them first but be very firm of your intensions to head to court if nothing is done, most times this will scare them into coughing up but you must remember that a judge will most likley rule in favour of the mechanic if its just a case of you vs mechanic thats why you need a report from another well known qualified mechanic. even tell the dodgy one that you have a qualified mechanic willing to stand up in court and state that it was the first mechanic that fuked it, all this might help scare him into coughing up and like frank said keep records of everything.

EL XR8 SERIES 2, 5SPD, HOT CHILLI RED, 200 ODD RWKW OF V8 FUN AND GAMES

EF XR6, 5SPD, HERITAGE GREEN, AU XR6 VCT ENGINE

VL COMMODORE, 5SPD, WHITE

BA XT, AUTO, OFFSHORE BLUE

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

good news for me, the crank thread was able to be re-tapped and cost me 198 dollars and managed to get my new balancer fitted after all.

Im not sure if i should follow up on reimbursment and maybe just cut my losses on a relatively small amount. Still would be nice to worry him a little though with the liscensing authority giving him phone calls.....

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:48 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
good news for me, the crank thread was able to be re-tapped and cost me 198 dollars and managed to get my new balancer fitted after all.

Im not sure if i should follow up on reimbursment and maybe just cut my losses on a relatively small amount. Still would be nice to worry him a little though with the liscensing authority giving him phone calls.....

ahh thats good news

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

it is, but i still have a sour taste in my mouth

i seen the crankshaft thread myself, and the first 80% of it was completely stripped flat, and it appears <cough> Carline had hammered a larger bolt in there with a s**t of locitite and sent me on my merry way :evil:

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:19 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

good to hear dude that is is all fixed

i would name the comapany :)

and write a letter of complaint to the state office of campany

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Disco Frank wrote:

i would name the comapany :)

Carline Warwick QLD...... :x

In fact everyone i talk to about this mob, they just laugh at me, shake their head and walk away lol........ i shouldve listened to them :)

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Why did they touch the crank pulley bolt?

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

they were supposed to fit a new balancer on for me, and they stripped the thread, so they couldnt get the puller to grip putting the new balancer on.

So they somehow managed to put the old balancer back on, and hammered in a larger bolt with loctite, and basically told me to go somewhere else and get it fixed, and that it was already like that before they touched it....... which is funny cause they are the last ones to remove and refit that balancer when they fitted a timing kit for me another time

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Mazda CX-5 & 96 EL Falcon

SA, Australia

bugger had a similar case myself, leak in the cooling system which i couldn't find took it somewhere was told its fixed 2-3 weeks later the engines overheated and cracked head. won't be going back to them again

Kmart tyre and Auto rose park this time

My EL Gli.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next