Fordmods Logo

Does anyone know anything about Fairlane heating? 

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

Shouldn't do any damage, although I wouldn't be turning it up too far. It may clear some of the blockage if there is one so it is worth a try anywho.

I am sure there will be products to break down any blockages that are in there (never investigated it before) so will have to ask a cooling system shop.

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

To do a self test hold down the 'floor' button and 'off' when the car turned off, but warmed up, key is in Ignition.
Everything will light up and it will cycle through the electrics. If anything isnt working properly a code will appear, press the auto button to see if any more codes are present. Post up the code here and we'll tell you what it is.

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:44 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

thanks Sturmovik. I did what you said and it came back with E3 and E5.

Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

E3 is cabin temp sensor, which is behind the little vent next to the demist button. And E5 is the ambient temp sensor, which is behind the centre of the front bumper.

Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:51 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Thanks Sturmovik, so that means those sensors are not working?

What does the one behind the front bumper look like? is it noticable by crawling under or is it hidden inside somthing?

Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:13 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Ambient Temp sensor: http://fordmods.datamine.tk/gallery.asp ... G_2772.JPG

An EF/EL one is shown, the EA-ED ones are the same, only the mounting bracket differs.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:40 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Thanks snap, found it. Do you know if the cabin one is easy to get out? Also does anyone know where you casn get new ones? Ford said they dont make them anymore.

Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

Try thr wreckers for the ambient temp one but the cabin temp one is more likely to be a blockage in the vacuum line going to the back of the cc unit which can be cleaned out (carefully) :roll: :D

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Fubar wrote:
Thanks snap, found it. Do you know if the cabin one is easy to get out? Also does anyone know where you casn get new ones? Ford said they dont make them anymore.
No probs. You might just want to check the connectors (and wiring if warranted) - amb temp sensor and the dash unit - it's possible the amb temp is U/S, but they seem pretty bulletproof. Replug it in and do another self test. Same deal with the cabin sensor, EF/EL cabin sensors are integral in the dash unit, sounds like EA-ED's are a stand alone unit. Also try what Bob's recommended - they do draw a lot of crap from the vacuum line.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:14 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

I pulled the one at the front off, cleaned it up and sprayed some stuff on the connections and the CC is no longer showing error codes. Hopfully it will work. I will take it for a spin later and see. Thanks everyone

Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Open the bonnet and look below the latch, its mounted to the receiver/drier canister.

Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:26 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Well thats depressing. There is no codes anymore but the silly thing still doesn't get warm. There is heat coming from both hoses into the heater radiator. So would that mean that there is a blocked heater core?

Also when the engine is on and vacum is in the sytem, does that automaticly open or shut the heater tap?

Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Fubar wrote:
Well thats depressing. There is no codes anymore but the silly thing still doesn't get warm. There is heat coming from both hoses into the heater radiator. So would that mean that there is a blocked heater core?

Also when the engine is on and vacum is in the sytem, does that automaticly open or shut the heater tap?

The heater tap is open without vacuum ie it only requires vacuum to close it.

Disconect your heater hoses and remove the tap, look through it and see if it is fully open. Some are not even when new! I bent the actuator on mine so it was fully open without vacuum.

Whilst you have the tap out, connect a garden hose up to the heater hose going into the core and turn on water, run until water runs well and clean.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:14 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Well the tap is off, can some one please tell me which way the direction of flow is? does the arrow on the tap suppose to point to the firewall? or to the front of the car?

Also any suggestions on the best coolant to use?

thanks

Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:32 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

well it is Zero degrees here this mourning and my toes anr frozen lol. But I just put the garden hose in the heater radiator, nothing would come out at first, then just a big splat of crap came out and is now running clean and clear. Hopefully that is the problem.

I suppose after 17 years and more then likely a blown head gasket somewhere in that time it is only natural to be blocked

Still I wouldn't of thought so until chatting to you guys, thanks everyone for your help.
]

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next