Fordmods Logo

[b]Does the CAPA flash tuner get noticible driving results[/ 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: [b]Does the CAPA flash tuner get noticible driving results[/
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Hey Guys
I have an ba xt falcon and am in the process of maybe spending some cash to get it a bit better than stock. everyone is talking CAPA flash tuner and other mods such as exh and air box mods. So i have some Q's that i couldnt find anwered anywhere else on here.
1) would the chip, exh and air box mods make a noticible power difference when driving
2)is the chip worth doing without the exhaust
3)any ideas on the price range i would be looking at for exhaust, air box mods and the chip tuned for my car.

Any info from anyone who has had the mods done would be greatly appreciated before i started handing the money over.[/u]

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

Doing the usual breathing mods (exhaust, extractors, cai) will bring out noticable results, and an edit will really tie it all together very nicely. For best results you should do all your mechanical modifications first and then get an edit custom tuned for your car.

Someone should make a sticky on this subject too.. I think this is about the 50th thread on BA edits in a week..

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Thanks , that was the approach i was planning on taking with the breathing mods and then the tuner.....excuse my ignorance but i am guesing by "EDIT" you mean the chip tuned to my car????

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

yes, more specifically refering to the capa version. It 'edits' the information stored on your ECU.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:26 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

youdd know you have one lol.

do the exhuast/air intake modws first, then maybe a lsd (hey smilie) then the edit

latest mod: A Service
MY BUILD THREAD

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:00 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

WA, Australia

you can find some pretty cheap exhausts if you look around.
Airbox mods shouldn't be to much unless your going SS inductions (don't)
The flashtune box is around $990 and depending on who you go through to get it tuned it varies how much (mine cost me $600 for the first tune but then its cheaper if you go back to the same place after that as they have the files all saved for your car, if you choose to do more)

You'll definitely notice a difference after a tune especially after doing all those mods prior

hey smiley235 have you got an edit?

BA XR6 Turbo

Xtreme Tuned
240.1 rwkw at 12 PSI

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

No, I sure as hell dont, rushed seems to think so though :P (and even maybe a little av gas). But nah, no flash as yet.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6T

FordZombie wrote:
Airbox mods shouldn't be to much unless your going SS inductions (don't)

for airbox mods, just get an F6 lower snorkel or used the flexible black pipe that joins the airbox to the cross over pipe (on the XR6T) both will do the job, and get a K&N or BMC panel filter. 2nd CAI done.

save the edit until u have done CAI and exhaust mods, so u only have to pay for tuning once :wink:

300+rwkw HeadsexTuned XR6 Turbo Ute *NOW SOLD :(*
MK Triton with 31" muddies, 2" lift and 3" turbo back exhaust etc...

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

You guys are willing to spend up to 1500 bucks on tuning when the only mods you want are a CAI and an exhaust? Talk about throwing good money around. IMO those mods don't justify the price of a flash tuner. After you get a CAI and zorst the next logical step is a cam and maybe some head work. After, and yes I do mean after your cam/headwork is done, then I"d go out and look at the flash tuner.

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:54 am 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
You guys are willing to spend up to 1500 bucks on tuning when the only mods you want are a CAI and an exhaust? Talk about throwing good money around. IMO those mods don't justify the price of a flash tuner. After you get a CAI and zorst the next logical step is a cam and maybe some head work. After, and yes I do mean after your cam/headwork is done, then I"d go out and look at the flash tuner.

You'd actually be surprised the extra power you can pull from these BA's with exh, intake and edit :)

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:38 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

xcabbi wrote:

Agreed with waggin, you'd be crazy to play around with unproven cams on the BA motor, when it's been proven that an edit on a DOHC 4L with breathing mods works very very f**k well.

I'm looking forward to seeing your car with edit and lsd/diff ratio Cam, should be a 14second car easy, no mean feat when it's through the BTR.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
xcabbi wrote:

Agreed with waggin, you'd be crazy to play around with unproven cams on the BA motor, when it's been proven that an edit on a DOHC 4L with breathing mods works very very f**k well.

I'm looking forward to seeing your car with edit and lsd/diff ratio Cam, should be a 14second car easy, no mean feat when it's through the BTR.

cheers, I know i've been lazy about getting these mods done but have been strapped for cash especially seeing as 1st year apprenticeship wages r the balls. I had enough money at 1 point for the diff change but that money went to motorbike gear and car rego. :( And god I wish I had the t56.

xcabbi, with the BA's, the modifications route is quite differnt to e-series. Alot of the internal work is already pretty good and their only restrictions are the intake, the exhaust, and the tune. Simple as that. After those mods, get power to the ground through a stally and good dif, and thats about your N/A limit without going banannas with the credit card.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:18 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Good stuff gents, i was fairly convinced already the zorst, air mods and tuner would be sufficient, but now i have had the word out of the horses mouth i am feelin a bit more confident....any ideas wether it is worth the extra couple of hundred $$$ for the mandrel bend or it doesnt really come into play in the 2 1/2inch.

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

mandrel bent isn't an extra $200, barely any extra at all, if you geta redback system like I did, all their exhaust systems are mandrel bent.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

xcabbi wrote:

do you have any idea what you're on about?

R.I.P. Scotty

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next