does this sound like a screwed alternator 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: does this sound like a screwed alternator
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 02 xls ute 347

SA, Australia

for the past 4 or so months my battery light turns on and the alternator gauge drops to the bottom. all my lights go dull and it seems i loose power when this happens also my temp gauge sometimes moves up and down when the battery light turns on, but the weird thing is my battery hasn't fuked up yet or dyed on me.

im not to sure if i should take it to an auto tech or get a second hand alternator its really getting on my nerves driving around with this red light in my face and the alternator gauge needle bouncing around lol
cheers fellas

02 series 3 AU marline ute 5speed 347 stroker

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF Fairmont AU Falcon FG XR6

VIC, Australia

wack a voltmeter on it and watch it for a while write down the low voltage and higher voltage parts

check all earths check engine/alternator belt

also might help just to leave a multimeter on it overnight and see if theres any voltage loss ........

for the battery they dun just pack up theres many signs like things you are dealing with now

a few questions
does it start easy like does it kick over well
does it take a few secs to start after turning the key
whats your voltage when car is running and lights are off
whats ur voltage while car is turned off
cheers
juz

My Fairmont

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Mazda CX-5 & 96 EL Falcon

SA, Australia

i remember mine was doing this one time turned out a few connections though connected weren't getting power through them, specifically on the pos side of the battery, replaced the battery connection and it was all good.

on this topic, i seem to get a belt slipping sound but only when i've got a few things turned on like rear-demisters, wipers, head lights or when the car first starts up, could this be that the alternator is jamming up i haven't been bothered to look yet just thought i'd ask here while replying.

My EL Gli.

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2004 Mazda Tribute

When my alternator was dying, and then completely dies, the car was running normal. The only clue was that the voltmater was dropping to 0, then back up to normal, then back to 0, until it stayed at 0, with the light on.

Ignition as running from Battery, and without the voltmeter you wouldn't have known anything was wrong.

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

definately sounds like your alternator is on its way out. My EF did the exact same thing a few months ago. Battery light came on, voltage spiked up and down all the time and the light would turn off when you gave it a bootfull. Took it to a tech, turned out to be my regulator was stuffed. Got the whole thing reco'd for around $200. Take it to a tech, most of em will test it for you for around $50.

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 02 xls ute 347

SA, Australia

cheers heaps guys ayy...well its doing exactly what 96ghias car was doing. in the last 2 weeks it has gotten worse and the light and volt meter is staying near the orange line 90% of the time now
answering a few questions yes it dose start with in one click over which is weired lol with the lights turned on its still heaps low but the lights are very dull untill the volt meter boosts up for a litle bit, my belt dose slip a litle bit on start up but only with revs and i have two new belts and also with belt grip.
but when my temp gauge sometimes bounces up and down it seems like a earth its so confusing

02 series 3 AU marline ute 5speed 347 stroker

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]