Dose your turbo E series falcon over heat if you boost it up 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Dose your turbo E series falcon over heat if you boost it up
Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF V8 Futura, 180sx

QLD, Australia

Hey guys

my falcon been over heating only when i went out for a hard strap around a new estate(no homes away from everyone) and she over heats and have to stop and open the bonnet to let the temp drop. The car drives like a dream and never a issue intill i have the car good thrash. i rebuilt engine about a month ago and i just got 3000km and i thought id try a good strap.

i was wondering whats everyone cooling system on there turbo E series falcon????

i was wondering if it my front mount with oil cooler restricting flow to the radiator or
my pod being to close to the manifold and turbo and sucking the hot air in.

here a old pic of my engine bay as you can see the pod close to the turbo and behind the ps pump.

any ideas????

im ganna try moving the pod this weeked to where the batery is(battery in boot just hadn't had chance to buy a 3" 45deg bend pipe

Attachments:
DSC02416 (Small).JPG
DSC02416 (Small).JPG [ 52.89 KiB | Viewed 1591 times ]

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BA XR8

NSW, Australia

Hey,

I would definately move the air cleaner, and shield it properly in a box, it will make a difference. I doubt the FMIC is causing the overheating prob's as it would be overheating at lower speeds due to the insufficient airflow.

I would check the thermostat, as it is most likely the cause. The faster i go in my car the cooler the engine gets, but i have an ally radiator, which makes it run nice and cool.

Cheers

:D Daz 8-)

BA XR8 Boss 260
DAZFAB......Now Mobile
Mink = GAY
DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DA22LE, XTT909, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN, SWC, FAT245

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Thermostat brand new

ill start with remounting the pod and put some head wrap around the cooler piping to lower intake air temps.

I when it over heated the first thing i did was find a long road away from estate and sat on 100km in fifth and feathered throttle and didn't drop so i pulled over and open the bonnet and let idel for 30 seconds and temp just drop back to normal within no time

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Wagon Turbo, Ba Fairlane G220

VIC, Australia

I am surprised your pod hasn't caught fire yet mine is passed the power steering pump and it still has gone black from to much heat you would be surprised how much heat they generate I have melted that much under my bonnet nothing is safe.

Congo Green Ba Wagon With F6 6 Speed Manual Driveline.

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

honestly i think that moving the pod isn't needed just get some heat sheild mesh and cover ya exhaust manifold and turbo (or even chase up a BAXR6T heat sheild) apply that and get a half cover for the pod and you will loose some heat..

iam thinking that hot intake air wouldn't cause a great deal of heat are you running thermo fans etc..

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el falcon

Power: 608 rwkw

WA, Australia

is this car running stock ecu? is the timing retarded? has it been on the dyno to check afr's?

i would say the tune is the problem,

# 1997 EL Falcon GLI - 600+rwkw

# 2008 FPV FG GTE - Xa Coilovers, 20x8/ 20x10 Fairladys

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yer thermo fansd are operation right.

It's on standard ecu with a 7:1 rising fuel reg running 5.5psi boost.

im going to swap over to my MSII and tune it in 2 weeks just wanted to make sure everything was good before i started using the MSII.

i havn't adjusted the timming it just running on the coil pack so it all up to the knock sensor to look after the engine

Ford EF Futura Black

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: SERIES 2 FAIRMONT GHIA

WA, Australia

standard cooling system for me..

even caning it dosent get it hot.. we shall see in summer conditions...

temp is the same as it was when n/a.. and ive got autometer guage and factory one running together..

15 PSI OF BOOSTED GHIA GOODNESS!!!

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

my el used to overheat,i hooked the thermos up to the wolf and made them come on sooner,they were not coming on till pretty warm now its perfect,get your thermos on sooner and all will be good

97 el xr6,5 speed short shifter,sequential scoop,no arial,freshly resprayed,low on 17's,3 inch zorst,stainless hi flo cat,snort stage 3 stainless manifold,garrett t04e,front mount cooler,wolf 3d ecu,seimens 760cc injectors,walbro fuel pump

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]