Fordmods Logo

driving style effects fuel economy? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: driving style effects fuel economy?
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:19 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Ive been driving recently and noticed that my trip computer was showing a ridiculously high. at ~20L/100Kms. that is just toooooo high to even drive and ive done 150KM after pulling out the battery.

Anywho for the last 2 or 3 days ive been driving my car in different way. when i slow down at an intersection i move the gear stick to "2" from "D" and then when i accelerate up to about 60Ks i change it back to "D". after these few days petrol usage has gone down to about ~19L/100Kms. Some improvement (don't get me wrong its still bloody high). Metro/City driving, not much freeway.

Is this driving technique just unorthodox? or is my car just bodged with fuel economy?

My car need serious tuning.

Thanks all
Phong

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:22 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

This may be a stupid Q, but have you reset the avg consumption mode on your trip computer? Maybe cutting the batt has confused it?

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:27 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Quote:

rowan194 Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:22 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This may be a stupid Q, but have you reset the avg consumption mode on your trip computer? Maybe cutting the batt has confused it?

well when i pulled out the battery it reset the trip computer. but after about 100 or 200Kms of driving it should give me the average comsumption already. usually it took me about 150kms to get about 16L/100KMs. but ever since my car started to play up and replacing my fuel pump its jumped pretty high, ill see what happens over the next 100 or so Kms. if it goes down then all is good

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:21 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: NF Fairlane V8

VIC, Australia

20l/100km seems woefull :cry: (if your trips reading right) for a six, I've got an 8 and I get around 18l/100km or more driving hard and if I cruise around in grandpa mode I can get under 15l/100km. Seeing as there's sweet FA you can 'tune' on an EFI car it sounds like maybe a sensor is failing causing the car to run rich, engine or air temp, O2, ?????? I guess the old fashioned way of finding fuel consumption (using the odometer to see how far you get with how much you put in) you can use to see if the trip is right. If your skilled with a multi-meter the info's out there to test things, otherwise find someone who knows about EFI to check it over..

The TORQUE Monster project begins!

Pic's, details and all the yummy stuff:
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22693

"There's no replacement for displacement!"

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:23 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

or is the problem, just 'visual'. How far does a tank of juice get you? figure out your economy that way, if that still shows 19-20L/100 then you have a more serious problem, otherwise (eg. you get 12-13L/100 from your calcs) the t/c is incorrectly reporting.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:10 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

yeah, i hope its just the trip computer taking time to actually finalize my economy. but lately its been adjusting and dropping more then staying even or going up. so i guess its getting better.

but 17L/100Kms was still high, and i wasn't revving above 2000RPM. so something must be wrong, i suspect the O2 sensor becos that thing hasn't been replaced before. MAP sensors are new, engine temp seems to be working fine and i dunno where the Air Temp is :?

I suppose in the process i should check my fuel pressure to see if i need to change my regulator.

Thanks all. ill keep u posted

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 AU II Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

trust me, it wont be the t/c

ive been battling the same problem for ages.

if i push my car a bit more, i get better economy..

lets put it this way, 5 HOT laps at bathurst, with reset tc=tc LOWER than in the city!

THATS RIGHT! I USE LESS FUEL ON THE f**k TRACK THAN ON THE ROADS! figure that one out lol

Organza 2000 AU 2 Fairmont Ghia
4.0 VCT
JMM Race Series Exhaust
AWC TS50 Front bar
3.45 LSD

Coming soon:
G&D Airbox
CAPA Edit

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:33 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Quote:

janek Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:28 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

trust me, it wont be the t/c

ive been battling the same problem for ages.

if i push my car a bit more, i get better economy..

lets put it this way, 5 HOT laps at bathurst, with reset tc=tc LOWER than in the city!

hahahaha. I did that once as well. I floored my car once and i think it cleared some blocked build up and car went much smooother and fuel eco went down. but lately its been playing up on me so i dunno wtf ive done. ive been doing the "gearing" down stuff and its been dropping quicker then usual. probably blow my transmission anytime soon

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
hahahaha. I did that once as well. I floored my car once and i think it cleared some blocked build up and car went much smooother and fuel eco went down. but lately its been playing up on me so i dunno wtf ive done. ive been doing the "gearing" down stuff and its been dropping quicker then usual. probably blow my transmission anytime soon

Its called the "Italian Tune Up" or "Blowing the cobwebs out the exhaust"

I'm laughing here, I get 500km of city driving to 60 litres of LPG :) Trip computer averages on 9.1-10L/100km (LPG uses 20-30% more hence the 12L calculation for the stated distance and litres)

I still reckon the thirsty pig uses too much fuel...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]