Fordmods Logo

Droning noise coming from the rear (I think) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Droning noise coming from the rear (I think)
Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: HOT EL

VIC, Australia

hey guys,My hearing is not the best but i think it is coming from the back of the car. BA Fairmont Ghia has started to make a droning sound when at speeds over 40k's if i slip it into neutral whilst sitting on 100k's the noise is still happening so i guess it is a wheel bearing or Diff... the odd thing is when i turn left around a long bend the noise stops completely.. Car runs 100% no issues like clunks or grinding just this odd noise that has only started in the past 2 weeks. Any ideas would be great that i could check..

The Lion Tamer

Post subject: Re: Droning noise coming from the rear (I think)
Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:07 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF xr6 5spd

SA, Australia

First off, you shouldnt be in neutral over 50kmph, due to the trans isnt made for it. The noise could be a LHR wheel bearing, because if the noise goes away while turning left the vehicle weight isnt on that bearing, if the noise gets worse when turning right then that also points to the LHR bearing. You could also raise the rear wheels of the ground and while the wheels travel at 50 or so kays, get someone with a stethescope/long screwdriver lol to listen to various parts near the wheel hubs and diff.
However it could also be the physical differential part inside the 'diff' housing.Because the walking/spider gears that allow the axles to spin at different rates could be worn or the diff oil might need a change. Hope this can help and if not try taking to a dealership lol.

-1994 EF XR6 + Factory 5speed = Fun :)

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

talking to a dealership LOL.. I would rather go to Jail !...
yes, i hear you on the popping into neutral but i wanted to rule the auto out... I am doing a rear pad change tomorrow so i will pop it up and see what happens with the wheels off the ground.. I just have this horrid feeling it is diff and i believe it is expensive...

The Lion Tamer

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:21 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

hey hey hey, I work in a ford dealership lol. yea i dunno how much an overhaul or new diff would be. Maybe you could try tilting each wheel when raised up before taking them off. As in grab the top and bottom and push the top and pull on the bottom then vice versa is a rocking motion. Then left and right. Could show if its a bearing or if you get movement, could be a sign that one of the control arm bushes are worn (common on BA and BF). You could also try re-torqing the rear wheel bearing nuts upto 145NM (90% sure lol) Anyway hope it all works out for ya.

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:22 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

hey hey hey, I work in a ford dealership lol. yea i dunno how much an overhaul or new diff would be. Maybe you could try tilting each wheel when raised up before taking them off. As in grab the top and bottom and push the top and pull on the bottom then vice versa is a rocking motion. Then left and right. Could show if its a bearing or if you get movement, could be a sign that one of the control arm bushes are worn (common on BA and BF). You could also try re-torqing the rear wheel bearing nuts upto 145NM (90% sure lol) Anyway hope it all works out for ya.

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks heaps.. Your a great help. i have been real lucky with this car, now done 175,000k and NEVER had a problem, mind you i have done all the services myself ;-)
I must say that why us Australians are purchasing cars from other countries beats the hell out of me, the good old Falcon and (Gulp) Commodore are good cars and mechanically are strong. Hell, my EL, AU and BA's have been bullet proof !.. Stick DBA discs on them and change the oil and filters every 10k they just keep going...... And i give them a hard time too...

The Lion Tamer

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:39 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Thats ok, i try to help best i can. And yea i dont really like the idea of bringin in cars that arent suited to our countries conditions.

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I have done everything to find that stupid noise so today i had a friend in the car with me and he said it was coming from the Front of the car.. So, being my car has now done 180k I decided maybe something silly like the belt, Fan belt, V belt, Big mother of a belt what ever you like to call it.. So i went and got a new one (pretty Blue) and popped that on, if you have never done one before manI hate puzzles and that is a puzzle and a half LOL.. anyways i got it on and no change the sound is still going on.. Seems it may be coming from the power steering pump, but only when the car is actually rolling putting it in park and bringing the revs up nothing happens.. i also noticed that is has been leaking a little... Are they hard to "Reco" ??

The Lion Tamer

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

ScottFiske wrote:
I have done everything to find that stupid noise so today i had a friend in the car with me and he said it was coming from the Front of the car.. So, being my car has now done 180k I decided maybe something silly like the belt, Fan belt, V belt, Big mother of a belt what ever you like to call it.. So i went and got a new one (pretty Blue) and popped that on, if you have never done one before manI hate puzzles and that is a puzzle and a half LOL.. anyways i got it on and no change the sound is still going on.. Seems it may be coming from the power steering pump, but only when the car is actually rolling putting it in park and bringing the revs up nothing happens.. i also noticed that is has been leaking a little... Are they hard to "Reco" ??

the pulley is pressed on so i would just chase up a decent 2nd hand unit or a reco's unit...

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

are new ones pricey ?

The Lion Tamer

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]