Fordmods Logo

DUAL FUEL PEOPLE LOOK HERE 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: DUAL FUEL PEOPLE LOOK HERE
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL GHIA

SA, Australia

anyone with EF EL IL6 where is the water hoses tapped into for your convertor/vaporizer and is your balance pipe in your air box or snorkel?

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:16 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

For the gas converter: Theres a short "bridge" hose connecting two pipes under the intake manifold. I removed that exposing two pipes, and tapped them directly to the converter. The said hose is about 10-15cm long from memory.

Balance line: I gather you're not using a computer controlled LPG setup then? (don't let QLD transport pull you up for it. They might defect you, and chase up the installer). Australian standards state soemthing along the lines of an LPG system needing to match the existing fuel system regarding closed/open loop operation. Emissions are a b**ch :)

On my EB, the balance line was conencted to the 225 mixer body - It basically needs to know the pressure of the intake air. A hole tapped into the airbox should be fine. I've ehard of people connecting it to the snorkel, but if the orientation is wrong, you could get ram air effects etc. This will make your mixture change between standstill and when at speed. Airbox is the best bet if its a straight forward normally aspirated engine.

On my computer controlled impco system, the balance line is connected to a solenoid which applies a very light vacuum to the line. Keeps everything stoic.

A lot of 4WD drivers make this mistake when they stick LPG on their beasts - they leave the balance line disconnected, and wonder why their car dies when they start moving. The snorkel starts ramming air, but the converter isn't being told about it.

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I am running a gastec computer and a zavoli/mga convertor and it has a connection that must be run to the air box or snorkel so it wouldnt make any difference whether it was computer controlled or not :?

i found a bridge pipe under the inlet manifold but it looks to be only about 3/8" not 5/8 - 3/4 like the rest of the heater pipes is that the one?

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

I have a T piece into the heater hose on the engine side of the heater tap and it runs from there up.

The balance pipe goes into the snorkel near the front opening.

Just on the balance pipe, mine has a small pipe bent at 90 degrees that goes into the snorkel, should this face towards the front of the car or to the rear? Is it better to put into the air box and if so before or after air filter?

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Running a Macmillan System

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

sgtsmkr wrote:
I have a T piece into the heater hose on the engine side of the heater tap and it runs from there up.

Just on the balance pipe, mine has a small pipe bent at 90 degrees that goes into the snorkel, should this face towards the front of the car or to the rear? Is it better to put into the air box and if so before or after air filter?

with the water connection - one goes to a "T" place b4 the heater tap where does return hose go?

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

at the thermostat housing where sender unit is a t piece (1 end threaded, the other end with a 5/8 hose barb and a hole in middle for sender, same ones used in the front of the XF heads) put in there. Is a tight squeeze with tickford snorkel on, sender faces straight down.

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

I only have experience with Impco systems, so I can't tell you much about the system you have. I can tell you this tho: The converter I have has only one way of controlling the vapour pressure - thats with the balance line. Your converter may have a balance line AND some other connection that the computer controls, so I don't know about that one :) On my system, the balance line can be computer controlled or run on the inlet air pressure - theres no other way that I know of. Impco stuff will work in closed and open loop installations.

The pipe I tapped into was quite small, I think it was smaller than the normal heater pipe. I can have a look tomorrow if you like, and give you a better description. I can only remember that it was very short.

sgtsmkr: If you have a fitting on your snorkel, i'd imagine the orientation of the 90 degree fitting will have a huge effect on the balance control. Don't ask me how it should be orientated tho! If it were me, i'd mount it in the airbox AFTER the filter, where its not subject to dynamic air streams, and is simply measuring the static pressure of the box. If it were in the snorkel facing forward, it would get more pressure than if it were facing backwards. You can see this effect if you stick a bendy straw in a glass of water, and bend the top of the straw so its horizontal. Obviously, if you blow into the straw, the water level in the straw will drop. But, if you face it away from you and blow over the top of it (use another straw so you can see it), it will rise by a couple of mm. <Dean Hutton Mode OFF>

Um... getting back on track... I'd mount a regular fitting in the air box AFTER the filter. The difference would only be small, and you'd probably only see it as your filter started getting blocked. But the filter is a small restriction, and having the fitting after the filter (between engine and filter) would mean the balance line sees the same air pressure that the engine does.

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:13 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Thanks, thought having it at the front of the snorkel was a bit strange.

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

ok thats pretty much sorted that thanks guys

one last ? -the hose connecting to the heater control valve is it 5/8" or 3/4"

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Just on the balance pipe, mine has a small pipe bent at 90 degrees that goes into the snorkel, should this face towards the front of the car or to the rear? Is it better to put into the air box and if so before or after air filter?[/quote]

i checked my mates EF XR6 and his balance line was removed from the air box and refitted into the snorkel - drilled about 2" back from the opening and hose facing forward terminating at inlet opening

this was done when he had new computer and convertor fitted and dyno

it was done by a place that specializes in gas tuning so i would expect they know their stuff - i know one thing they charge like wounded fukin' bulls so better be damm good

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:57 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

my balence line has never existed (in my ownership) the car runs fine but chews through gas. i have a pod. what can i do about this balence line.

latest mod: A Service
MY BUILD THREAD

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]