e-series engine into xf 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: e-series engine into xf
Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

WA, Australia

hey guys need help with this one. can u put a e-series engine into a xf? if so what needs to be done and can u run a coil pack or a dizzy? any help would be greatfully
thanks Michael

Post subject: Re: e-series engine into xf
Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:56 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

buy an XG and use everything off of that

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

Lol, this again, here's a basic rundown:

NO XG PARTS ARE NEEDED (Although SOME may make the job easier)

* First thing you want to is grab some EA/EB/ED Engine mounts, these will fit the OHC engine, and the XF.

* You need to use a T5 Manual transmission, or a single rail 4 speed on a T5 bellhousing redrilled to suit a single rail (I dont really like the idea of drilling bellhousings though) You could also use a BW35, BW40, or BW51 Auto on a Bellhousing from an early 3 speed EA. The BTR 4 speed auto will hit on the floor, I beleve you could *massage* the floorpan to make it fit, or weld in the transmission tunnel from an XG ute.

* You can use your existing tailshaft

* An XF/EA T5 crossmember will need to be used

* EA/EB/ED/EF/EL radiator will fit easily with some minor modifications, however it is speculated that an XG Radiator will not fit, due to a different lower radiator support panel, however I still think it would be easy to use an XG Radiator. a Radiator from a Diesel late model Transit van looks to have the outlets in the correct spots too, and is a similar size, but I havent measured one up
Dont forget if you are using a serpentine belt setup, you will need to run an EF/EL Radiator due to different hose sizes

* The engine will hit the swaybar. 3 ways around this. First is to simply remove the swaybar. I dont reccomend doing that, as the car will float like a boat. Next option is to source an XG Swaybar (which is probably the best option) and the 3rd way is to use a custom modified swaybar

* If you use the belt setup from eithier a Centrepoint EA, or MPFI EA/EB/ED, the alternator will hit the front crossmember. 2 ways around this, use a serpentine belt setup off an EF/EL/AU or notch the crossmember. I think the idea of notching the crossmember is VERY BAD, so I'd advise against it.

* The only XG part that you will NEED to source is a Power steering high pressure line. This is because the power steering pump is on the other side of the engine. The other option here is to make up some sort of idler pulley and run manual steering (Heavy) you could also get Pirtek or Enzed to make up a cutom hose

* Wiring is fairly simple, if you use the loom from an EA/EB1 Multipoint car. You can run the broadband manifold with that fairly easily, just disable the changeover. If you want to run an EA/EB/ED Manifold, it will interfere with the serpentine belt setup, however a custom belt will allow it to clear (Just), or you can even run a Carburettor if you get creative, not sure how that would go with emmisions though, Straight LPG is another option.

* If you want to run a Turbo, an intercooler from an XR6T should be a good fit.

* A BA/BF engine would involve much the same process to fit, but you would have bonnet clearence issues, which can be overcome by fitting a bonnet bulge. I beleve a Barra engine is a much better propisition than an E Series engine however, if you have the money.

Gab

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Peacock EB Falcon

QLD, Australia

Gab1 wrote:
Lol, this again, here's a basic rundown:

NO XG PARTS ARE NEEDED (Although SOME may make the job easier)

* First thing you want to is grab some EA/EB/ED Engine mounts, these will fit the OHC engine, and the XF.

* You need to use a T5 Manual transmission, or a single rail 4 speed on a T5 bellhousing redrilled to suit a single rail (I dont really like the idea of drilling bellhousings though) You could also use a BW35, BW40, or BW51 Auto on a Bellhousing from an early 3 speed EA. The BTR 4 speed auto will hit on the floor, I beleve you could *massage* the floorpan to make it fit, or weld in the transmission tunnel from an XG ute.

* You can use your existing tailshaft

* An XF/EA T5 crossmember will need to be used

* EA/EB/ED/EF/EL radiator will fit easily with some minor modifications, however it is speculated that an XG Radiator will not fit, due to a different lower radiator support panel, however I still think it would be easy to use an XG Radiator. a Radiator from a Diesel late model Transit van looks to have the outlets in the correct spots too, and is a similar size, but I havent measured one up
Dont forget if you are using a serpentine belt setup, you will need to run an EF/EL Radiator due to different hose sizes

* The engine will hit the swaybar. 3 ways around this. First is to simply remove the swaybar. I dont reccomend doing that, as the car will float like a boat. Next option is to source an XG Swaybar (which is probably the best option) and the 3rd way is to use a custom modified swaybar

* If you use the belt setup from eithier a Centrepoint EA, or MPFI EA/EB/ED, the alternator will hit the front crossmember. 2 ways around this, use a serpentine belt setup off an EF/EL/AU or notch the crossmember. I think the idea of notching the crossmember is VERY BAD, so I'd advise against it.

* The only XG part that you will NEED to source is a Power steering high pressure line. This is because the power steering pump is on the other side of the engine. The other option here is to make up some sort of idler pulley and run manual steering (Heavy) you could also get Pirtek or Enzed to make up a cutom hose

* Wiring is fairly simple, if you use the loom from an EA/EB1 Multipoint car. You can run the broadband manifold with that fairly easily, just disable the changeover. If you want to run an EA/EB/ED Manifold, it will interfere with the serpentine belt setup, however a custom belt will allow it to clear (Just), or you can even run a Carburettor if you get creative, not sure how that would go with emmisions though, Straight LPG is another option.

* If you want to run a Turbo, an intercooler from an XR6T should be a good fit.

* A BA/BF engine would involve much the same process to fit, but you would have bonnet clearence issues, which can be overcome by fitting a bonnet bulge. I beleve a Barra engine is a much better propisition than an E Series engine however, if you have the money.

Gab

IMO, this should be put into a sticky.

Wanted, CFI manifold

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]