Fordmods Logo

ea falcon 

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:11 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: xy gt rep

VIC, Australia

so ur talking deadly serious with me here a tacho will not work on my ea falcon? that sucks.

i dont want the tacho cluster for some reason lol. i just want it to be a bit different from my brothers ea wich is a svo and is very similar to mine. his has the good instrament cluster.

smoke em

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:11 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

chunkz wrote:
wanting a car to look nice..
and monster tachos.... DONT MIX!!!

THEY DO NOT LOOK NICE 8-)
hope this helps

lol, ditto. 5" tacho would not add to the niceness of the car. Even if all your mates tell you it does. you want nice, get some Fairlane door trims, and leather seats(or XR if you want buckets), and sun roof, with woodgrain here and there, thats nice. 5" tacho, doesn't suit.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:14 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

all i want is a nice little 4" one. but all i want to know is will it work on my ea?

smoke em

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:16 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I was just been a d***head, the tacho will work. But it shouldn't if you are serious about this, then yeah it will work.

If you wanna make it fit, make sure its under the dash, some where near the handbrake or on the other side. Not visible in other words. Maybe turn the shiftlight off? or get a tacho without shift lights.

But honestly, do something different. But in the end, its your choice. The tacho will need power to the tacho, and the lights, and the shift light. It will also need to run a wire either to the negative terminal on the dizzy, or the tacho output on the diagnostic connecter near the fuse box.

Good luck

ps - have a look at some EA's going round, some nice interiors out there. resorting to monster tacho's isn't neccessary

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:21 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

thanks mate ill think about it some more. just wondering why put it out of sight?? isnt the whole reason for a tacho is that so u can see it easily well still keeping your eyes on the road. the reason i want it in the corner on the dash is so i dont have to look down to chek wat im doin.

smoke em

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:24 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

putting it down so low will keep the cops of your a**, but if you want it in the corner of the dash, thats fair enough. Its up to you, Im sure you could fit it somewhere, so if you decide you want one, just get it, and crawl around your dash and im sure you'll find the perfect spot. And in terms of keeping your eyes on the road, thats why a factory upper class cluster is a good idea.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:24 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

if the cops sore it up on the dash do u think they would do anything about it? thanks

smoke em

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:27 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

well, that depends on the cop. Im not 100% sure on the legalities, but im pretty sure they are illegal. If you went past the cop at 100K's, in a 60, and he couldn't prove it, Im sure he would pick on every little thing wrong with your car.

Give the local road authority place a call (The RTA over here, can't remember what its called over there). And ask them, they know.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Monster tachs are legal but it depends on where you put them. They have mounting guidelines in regards to occupant head impact. If you can prove that you (or your front passenger) won't split your head open on the tacho bezel in a head on crash then it is 100% street legal. As for the shiftlights. That's what the rubber coloured shiftlight covers are for. Without them the whole bloody interior gets lit up and that can be dangerous.

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:57 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB falcon 5spd

SA, Australia

they are illegal to put on the dash as it cretates a blind spot, however the law doesnt specify that it can go on the dash out of the way (right hand corner) so cops wil still have a go at you, sometimes they are also illegal under the dash (as you now have to take your eyes off the road). shift lights are illegal as they are a distraction to the driver. basicaly cops dont want aftermarket tachos.

also i am looking at getting a tacho rather than s pac cluster as the price differenct in some circumstances, ie 3-3.5in tacho $100. s pac cluster (when found at wrecker down here) $135. fitting for both is $85 or DIY. if you want to fit your own it can be connected to neg terminal on engine coil (bottom of block, hard to get to) or there is a wire behind your cluster (pink and blue from memory) where it can also be connected to.

1993 EBII GLI, IT'S PERFORMANCE Stage 3 engine,
XH Snorkel, K+N panel, Pacie 4480, High flow cat,
2.5" Lukey cat back system. Monroe GT Gas shocks + struts.

just dyno'd at 140.9RWKW

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA ute, FG XR6T

NSW, Australia

sleeper1 wrote:
what about a 4"?

Most women would laugh :wink:

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

VIC, Australia

I have a 5 inch monster tach in the top right hand corner with shift light in my ea, and yes b4 i get s**t for it i have mods to warrant one, lol,
was easy as pie to fit, one screw in the A pillar and it sits there sweetly,
cheers

Succesful trades with bentles_eb, Pane, chunkz, xr8_dismantler, OBS35N, mrnasty, Steady ED, voxace, Mash85, ovo616, ef biff, lukey, dazza2924, Seannyb, gunit18, jkk, Tocchi,

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6t

NSW, Australia

If you have to get one why not just get a small, 2 1/2 inch and mount it in the dash where the trip computer would go, thats if u dont have a trip computer or clock. That way itll look neat and be legal.

Rides:
-Ba xr6t, wog cooler, K&N pod on custom intake, battery moved to other side, flash, custom cooler piping, presons auto, car pc, 19" lenso speed 6, going for 300rwkw
-FZR 250- run around bike

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2