Fordmods Logo

EA Falcon timeing chain gasket replacement. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: EA Falcon timeing chain gasket replacement.
Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EA Falcon S Pac

NSW, Australia

Gday, i recently purchased a EA Falcon S pack, with the mpi 3.9l engine, it has a slight leak from around the timeing chain gasket, i spoke to some mechanics and they have told me that i will need to remove the head to fix the timeing chain leak, is this true? or is there another way to replace the gasket?

thanks
Chad

Post subject: Re: EA Falcon timeing chain gasket replacement.
Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Removing the head is necessary as there's a plastic seal, on top of the timing case, that needs to be compressed during reassembly. It's a good idea to put a smear of gasket sealer on it too.

If you have to replace the gasket, you might as well replace the timing chain, sprockets & guides along with the head gasket. The timing kit doesn't cost much.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

No need to remove the head, you can drop the sump around 5 cm whilst in the car.

As above with the compressed seal etc, but you can lever it up and get the cover on the dowels.

I replaced all my gears and cover etc without removing the head, however I did remove it from the car.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

I've tried removing the sump by itself to just to get the bottom chain guide back on. I didn't enjoy lying on the ground trying to get sockets and spanners in between the sump & K-frame. And, if the sump gasket falls apart it's great fun putting a new one in. I had to unbolt one engine mount and jack up the engine to get some more clearance.

You can try either way. Taking the head off will cost you more for gaskets.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:15 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 98 EL GLI

SA, Australia

If it was me I'd go by what the engine might need. If the sump leaks, might as well drop it to do the timing cover and fix 2 problems at once. As others say it is alot harder to do sump gasket with engine in. If the head seems to weep under the exhaust or possibly other problems that the head might cause, then taking off the head is the way to go. Esp as you can get it checked out while it's off. Personally if there were no other probs I'd take the head off. Timing cover is way easier with the head off. Makes it easier to do a good job, and less chance of leaks esp between the head and timing cover.

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EA Falcon S Pac

NSW, Australia

Yeh it sounds best to do a proper job in the first place so you dont have to worry about it again, the biggest thing is it looks like the head gasket has already been replaced recently, as there is fresh looking gasket goo around the rocker and head gaskets.

Ive been told of another way in which you loosen off the cover and shove gasket goo in around it to stop the leak, its a stop gap measure but sounds a bit dodgy to me.

think i might use a slightly heavier oil and stabiliser and save up to do the head gasket and the lot, also gives me a good reason to get one of them Crescent head and cam packages lmao.

those stage two cam and head packages sound way neat.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]