Fordmods Logo

EA running like crap on petrol and gas. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: EA running like crap on petrol and gas.
Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 95 NF Fairlane

VIC, Australia

Hey all .. ea 3.9cpi runs like crap on petrol ALL THE TIME blowing black smoke all the time(like map sensor is stuffed but its changed) to untill i bridge it to tune it, and worse wen its cold to a point the sucker wont idle on petrol, but just idles on gas, (rough)
I have changed the map sensor and it seems to have made somewhat of a difference but nothing worth getting oer iexcited about ..
The tuning of the car always changes and never stays on the same mark.
it chews through both gas and petrol.
Any ideas please on what it could be??
im pulling my hair out :S
Cheers all in advance

93 EB 4 Speed auto , 2 1/2 sports from cat back , pod filter , LSD , super low suspenstion , mok tickford rims 15" , 7 colour changing led parker lights , led no plate lights and still want more .. allooootttttttttttt more ..

"Drive it , Like you stole it " ... so whats your excuse :D

Post subject: Re: EA running like crap on petrol and gas.
Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:12 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Resources tab up the top in the navi bar and go into the tech docs section...

Test the computer and see what codes it throws at you... Sounds like a d**k sensor... May be a d**k computer... Unless you feel like randomally swapping parts out you best start testing it and let us know what you come up with... Then we can help you further...

As far as the goes, when you changed it you made sure there was no splits in the pipe and that it was plugged into the manifold still?

The gas system wouldn't use too many of the petrol sensors I wouldn't think... If it doesn't run on both you'd be looking for a common component... On the system we pulled off dad's car it shared the hego... See if the computer throws a hego code... Make sure you get the hego hot before testing (it'll be in the run test)... Checked the hego fuse? It is a pink 30amp one under the head tank taper to the loom there somewhere (or so it is on an EBii & ED anyway)...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

I know you have changed the actual map sensor, but have you checked over the Map sensor vacuum line.

I had similar issues in my EB wagon. It is also a dual fuel car.

One day I was under the front of the car looking around for 'something' wrong, as I just couldn't work out why it was like it was, and found the map sensor vac line had a big crack in it where it connects to the manifold.

Replaced it and it was like a new car.

Worth checking.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:56 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Ok map sensor line changed no difference :( .. What i am thinking is, aent 3.9 and 4.0ltr timming marks different?? .. I ask this cause i was just told it has a 4.0ltr motor in it with a cpi manifold on it :S .. It has been running like s**t since the day it was put in. Also the heater has been removed so i have 2 plastic vac pipes that are just dangling there .. I have blocked them but again, no difference ,.. So next thing is, timming ?? New dizzy and coil have been put in, but i just cant figer out this bloody thing, :S

93 EB 4 Speed auto , 2 1/2 sports from cat back , pod filter , LSD , super low suspenstion , mok tickford rims 15" , 7 colour changing led parker lights , led no plate lights and still want more .. allooootttttttttttt more ..

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

i lied, Map sensor and line changed, not blowing as much smoke but still idling rough and chewing thorugh petrol :S

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

maybe check your plugs they would be fouled from overfueling now? or just take it for a good run and give it some hard revs lol clean the plugs up a bit

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EB falcon

QLD, Australia

no offence but the worst prob is it's dual fuel. ive allways learnt that if a car was ment to be on gas it would have come from factory with gas. in all honesty i hate gas it's nasty and you can theoretically tune for one or the other. take for instance i had a hz running duel fuel ran like s**t on petrol but good on gas got it tunes ran awsome on fuel but s**t on gas, i sson removed the gas and ran premium all the time was a dream after the gas was removed.

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

cozza88 wrote:
no offence but the worst prob is it's dual fuel. ive allways learnt that if a car was ment to be on gas it would have come from factory with gas. in all honesty i hate gas it's nasty and you can theoretically tune for one or the other. take for instance i had a hz running duel fuel ran like s**t on petrol but good on gas got it tunes ran awsome on fuel but s**t on gas, i sson removed the gas and ran premium all the time was a dream after the gas was removed.

Honestly mate .. this has only started since the new motor, it ahs been on gas since 2 months after it was brought new and no probs till motor change .. How ever, I was told that these things are (CPI) are weird anyway. lol .. Speaking of petrol and cpi, i was searching through to find a diagram fo the diagnostics, and come across idle reset, in this it was saying a 10mm washer was to go inbetween the ics on the side of the carby to set it, Is this true, If so, does it need the 10mm plate there all the time, cause this has got it ??

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

just done diagnostic on this ea, and when i turn the key on, engine off .. the light flickers goes out for 5 secs then comes on and stays on .. computer on its way out ?? and would this be why nothing works properly .. ?????

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Found out what the problem was, It was the computer. Damm the thing has never run so sweet in its life .. Thank you to all that gave me advice, i really appreciate it :)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]