Fordmods Logo

ea starting problem. please help 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: ea starting problem. please help
Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Hey there, my wifes car, a cheapo ea 88 cpi 3 speed randomly doesnt start properly and backfires out the air filter.

A so called falcon pro told me the dissy was locked and that was the problem so he installed a new one with brand new coil, new spark plugs and leads and changed the fuel filter. The cars idle was great after(plugs were very old) and my wife was happy it was fixed.....but its not, as we found out in an underground carpark with our 15month old sweating in the back.

When is pops and backfires (out the filter, not exhaust) you can get it going for a few seconds by throttle on and off but then dies.

When i do get it going when it has this prob its by acelerating through this fit after using the starter motor for near 10secs. Once it revs out and blows all the rich fuel (black smoke) out it can come back to idle and be ok.

I have done the ISC search and MAP problems on here doesnt seem to add up as is it only sometimes. If its pointing up a hill and wont start i turn it around and it has worked but only just.

Pete

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

try fuel pump,or fuel filter,,sounds like it's not getting fuel to start off with but does after a while,,

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:32 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: '98 EL XR8

NT, Australia

The problem you have sounds very simular to a prob I have earlier this year... It backfired out the front while I was idling at the lights, car stalled and I had to push her through a major intersection during morning rush.

Car wouldn't start, and if it did... sometimes wouldn't last... backfires exhaust and the filter.

And as far as I know... I had a bad connection from the coil to the dizzy cap (due to movement was sitting on kinda loose). The bad connection created a lot of carbon deposits on the rotor contacts of the dizzy cap...

Leads and plugs were only about a year old.

I sanded the coil terminal, and each cap terminal with a fine sandpaper. Scraped and sanded the carbon off of the inside rotor contact points. I polished them up, got under the car the pushed that coil lead on really firm (as its to hard to make a secure connection with the EA manifold in the way from the hood). Made sure each cap lead was on firm and secure.

After I did that, she started first time, doesn't backfire anymore and is going strong to this day. (cross my fingers)

Hope it helps! ;)

"...we can rebuild him, we have the technology... we just dont want to spend a lot of money."
SIX MILLION PESO FALCON

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Wush that was it lukieman but a few days after brand new coil, complete disssy and plugs it did it again.

Pete

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I had the same problem a few weeks ago with my ea wagon.
I ended up pulling out the injectors, gave them a bit of a shake and put them back in. To my suprise it started fine.

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:11 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

The EA with the air filter off shoots 1 foot flames out the carb when back firing. Looks great at night.

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Various

TAS, Australia

mine old ea wagon used to do that. Sold It

mm, unlikely.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]