EA Starting Problems 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: EA Starting Problems
Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:16 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: '98 EL XR8

NT, Australia

Would anyone have an idea about what could be the problem here...

I was driving around doing my rounds, running for about an hour, and the engine started to struggle... it would idle nice and clean but once in gear, you would only have to open the throttle a little bit and it would start struggling again to the point where it would stall.... if you pushed the throttle open a bit more it would rev up and run.

After it had stalled, it would not start... the starter motor would turn it over, but wouldn't start.

I thought it was the fuel pump, but that is pressurising the fuel line, and seems to operate when the ignition is on.

I've figured its either the distributer or ignition coil... although Im not sure... I left it for about half and hour and it started, but pumping the throttle just a little bit caused it to struggle and stall again...

Anyone???

"...we can rebuild him, we have the technology... we just dont want to spend a lot of money."
SIX MILLION PESO FALCON

Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:44 am 
Smokin em up

NT, Australia

Hey guys, sorry about the length, I really need some help here... Im not too sure whats goin on...

I went back to my car this morning and tried to start it to get it home. Once again it failed to start...

Check the fuel pump, on ignition it would 'whir' for a second... fuel lines were pressurised. Stuck a screw driver in the ignition leads, and got a half decent spark from them, nothing fancy though...

It eventually did start after opening and closing the TB for a while.. only to stall again 1/2 km up the road. Its like it running normally, and then like the flick of a switch, if you depress the accellerator the engine would die down and start to slow down until I released it... WTF!?!??!? :?

SO!!! After examining the distributer, pulling off the cap and wiping the insides a bit, I noticed the lead from the dizzy to the coil was not attatched properly... so, hooked it all up... STARTED first time, success!!! :D

Running nice again, I get back in my car and head for home... about another Km down the road, the thing starts to chug and it died on me at a major intersection, white exhaust fumes coming from the intake.

Once again I pulled off the cap, sprayed and wiped it with some RP7, stuck it back on, and it started again...

I managed to get it undercover, ran a ECU test, all things ok... hooked up my timing light... timing was spot on...

The two noticable differeances in running now are:
*** It takes the starter motor about 10 cranks to start the engine, rather than the 3 it used to do...
*** Occasionally when you pump the throttle it will start to chug, drop revs

I dont trust my car at the moment, and Im stressing big time as I need my car for work... does anyone know what it could be...

I'm assuming its got something to do with the dizzy/coil.

HELP!!! :(

"...we can rebuild him, we have the technology... we just dont want to spend a lot of money."
SIX MILLION PESO FALCON

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:55 am 
Smokin em up

NT, Australia

I feel like Im the only one here... :cry:

Hmmm... anyway... after some research into the ignition system, I'm starting to think its the TFI device could be playing up... I've noticed on my EA the chip is facing to the rear close to the block.

On all other MPFI engines, the TFI chip points to the front of the engine to an angle... could it be overheating and s**t itself!??!?!

So Im assuming whoever had the car before me had the dizzy changed...

Thoughts anyone... please...

SIX MILLION PESO FALCON

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

well seems like u have abit of a problem there.
best thing to do as it sounds like u have some idear what ur doing is to, check everything while it is playing up, u said it had a average spark u, if the cars spark is weak that will cause it to not run very well, when its running does it die in the a** when u rev it, check that the leads dissy arnt earthing out have seen that casue the problem u are having.
check that u are also getting a crank singnal to.

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Weak spark, sounds like coil too me.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:42 am 
Smokin em up

NT, Australia

After I posted my previous message, I labelled my leads, ripped the dizzy cap off and pulled it all out...

One at a time, I took off a lead, finely sanded and polished each terminal on the cap, then replaced the lead it very firmly... sanded and polished the coil terminal, and stuck that small lead on tight, scraped the carbon and s**t off of the arc points inside the cap with a flathead and polished, and finally polished the centre pin...

Stuck the whole thing back in again... Started up first crank, went for a cautious drive, no stalling at the intersections, no chugging, no flat spots... revs all the way without a hiccup!

It seems like all it needed was a damn good clean and tight connections...

Im still really cautious though... It may take a while before I restore faith that she wont die on me again... keeping all my tools in the boot for a while.

SIX MILLION PESO FALCON

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

It feels good to have a win now and again!

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]