Fordmods Logo

EA vs EL head 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: EA vs EL head
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

TAS, Australia

I'm about to get the inlet manifold off an EL to put on my EA. I was wondering if it was worth grabbing the early EL head as well.. i believe acording to a jmm article that they flow better. Can the EA head be ported to flow as well as a ported EL head or would it just be a lot easier to grab the EL head and work with that? Also does shaving the head too much, say 40 though cause any extra problems such as problems with timing chain slack ect or will it be fine assuming i don't have so much compression i can't stop it pinging of course.

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF 5 Speed, XH Uterus :P

TAS, Australia

I can't imagine Ford going backwards in design of heads...

Maloo - Holden's word for ugly.

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

TAS, Australia

I know, the EL head is better. What i meant was can the EA head be made as good as the EL head with some porting ect? Just asking before i spend money buying the EL head.

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:58 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Be carefull as hybrid EL's + have a different rocker ratio. so.. you must keep the rockers with the right head!

I wouldn't modify a EA head, grab a ED/EF/EL if you must work on one! they're a dime a doz.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

The only downside to EL head on EA is it lowers the compression ratio (EA's have smaller chambers and deeper dish pistons, EL have bigger chambers and shallow pistons)

Can you get the whole EL engine?

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:35 am 
Stock as a Rock

TAS, Australia

Wouldn't happen to know just how much bigger the EL chambers are ?

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

I think it is around 6cc

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:22 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Fairmont Turbo

QLD, Australia

To answer the question, the EA head can be made to flow pretty well but it takes a heap more work to get it anywhere near the potential of the EL. Reasons for this are the size of the ports on an EA head are already 3mm or so smaller out of the box when compared to the EL, EA has a wing around the intake valve which aids for bottom-midrange torque but does nothing for top end grunt. I'm not 100% sure on this next one but the EA will most likely have smaller valves as well. In short, you have to do alot of work to bring the EA head up to the standard EL head but there are other things like compression ratio's to consider.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

snortingboost wrote:
To answer the question, the EA head can be made to flow pretty well but it takes a heap more work to get it anywhere near the potential of the EL. Reasons for this are the size of the ports on an EA head are already 3mm or so smaller out of the box when compared to the EL, EA has a wing around the intake valve which aids for bottom-midrange torque but does nothing for top end grunt. I'm not 100% sure on this next one but the EA will most likely have smaller valves as well. In short, you have to do alot of work to bring the EA head up to the standard EL head but there are other things like compression ratio's to consider.

The valves are the same, EA to EL. I have EL vales in my EA head. The EX ports are the same size, but the inlets have flats on the EF/EL heads.
The inlets on the EA heads were round to start with, all I did there was smooth them out.

Attachments:
My 88EA cyl head ported & polished. 004.jpg
My 88EA cyl head ported & polished. 004.jpg [ 332.32 KiB | Viewed 141 times ]
My 4.0 EF cyl head 001.jpg
My 4.0 EF cyl head 001.jpg [ 295.61 KiB | Viewed 133 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:31 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Fairmont Turbo

QLD, Australia

cjh wrote:
snortingboost wrote:

The valves are the same, EA to EL. I have EL vales in my EA head. The EX ports are the same size, but the inlets have flats on the EF/EL heads.
The inlets on the EA heads were round to start with, all I did there was smooth them out.

Should have said inlet's are bigger but it doesn't suprise me about the valve sizing which is why i mentioned not 100% sure.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]