Fordmods Logo

Easiest way to replace piston rings in an EA falcon 

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

In "the old days" it was quite common practice for mechanics to do a "quick" ring job by pulling the sump off AND the head/s - from the bottom you can access the big end bolts on the rods and then you pop the pistons/rods out the top. That's evidently on cars where it was possible to get the sump off without dismantling the whole car.

Having said that, I was told by a mechanic who's fairly well experienced on I6 Flacons (he races them at speedway so does a fair bit of engine building etc.) that such a quick ring job is a waste of time on the I6 because if the engine needs new rings then it's a virtual certainty that the bores are oval - so new rings can actually end up burning more oil than the old ones which were worn to more or less the same shape as the bores.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

On trucks you can do it that way but you still have to take heads off..Things like good honeing and removing ring ridge nr top of bore, cannot be done fron under neath..I doubt the pistons will pass through main journals on crank any way...I'm quite sure the mains are wider than cylinder spacing!! Speedway guys are fairly cleverthough.....
6 cyl Fords don't generally have bad bore wear...But can suffer from broken rings due to detonation or over heating...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:08 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Quote:
For under $1k new pistons,rings, bearings,oil pump,timing chain, gasgets, machining and ballancing...Using ACL race series kit...Head was just machined....That way EVERYTHING is done...

Is that fitted or just the kit????

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Bluexr6 wrote:
Quote:
For under $1k new pistons,rings, bearings,oil pump,timing chain, gasgets, machining and ballancing...Using ACL race series kit...Head was just machined....That way EVERYTHING is done...

Is that fitted or just the kit????

The kit is $580 trade ..$1k for whole bottom end, including ground crank and over bore..I assembled myself so add another $200.00

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2