Fordmods Logo

EB 6 Auto, Flywheel bolts trouble. HELP! 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EB 6 Auto, Flywheel bolts trouble. HELP!
Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

EB, series one, 3.9l, 4 speed auto, mpfi

After being through a heap of stuff on my car, i was ready to put it back together. So i put the flywheel back on with the original bolts. While tensioning, i managed to snap one. I thought, oh well, should have replaced them anyway. So this week i got new bolts, and went to put them in. I oiled the threads, wound them in by hand, then took them hole by ratchet. I then got a tension wrench and started going up. Started at around 50nm, then around 60, 68, 75. However, now ive reached 75, they feel wrong. The bolts just seem to keep doing up and up, not getting harder. I've only gone about half a turn past 60 or there abouts, but it just doesnt feel like i thought it would. Any suggestions? I dont want to snap these bolts! Also, have tried two different torque wrenches, and even tested them on each other.

For those who have ever removed a flywheel, what was it like to tighten? I expected it to get progressively tighter, and reasonably quickly?

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

Dunno fella. After a short discussion me and Toddy feel that because they are a fine thread that they take a long time to pull up so maybe ya just gotta give em a bit more.
But in saying that I know what ya mean... sometimes they just don't feel right.....
Have a Bundy and think......... and then have another Bundy! :twisted:

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Take them out and check the threads

I wouldnt oil the threads either. Locktite it.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:41 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
Take them out and check the threads

I wouldnt oil the threads either. Locktite it.

WHS ^^^ or use some anti sieze!

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:02 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Fairmont

WA, Australia

being flywheel bolts loctite is prolly the way to go

04 BA XR6
stock, until further notice

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

The new bolts come with fords own loctite. Doesnt explain why they wont come tight but!

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

have you checked the threads? What you describe is usually a stripped thread (either in the crank or the bolt itself).

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

All 6 bolts are brand new, they are too tight to be stripped, and all 6 bolts are similar

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:25 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: XF Wagon

VIC, Australia

G'day

Has your torque wrench clicked off at the specified torque? If not keep going you'll get there.

I thought the same thing when i changed my clutch, but after torqueing them up to the required torque it was fine.

Cheers

If its too loud your too old!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

hi,never use oil or anti seeze on fly wheel bolts,or bolts under severe vibration,they come loose!!*******can cut gearbox-floor [dragracers have to have deflector plate over bell housing if driver sits next to gearbox] also cast iron flywheels can explode over 6500 rpm -use steel above.crankshaft threads may be streched,being unf threads,pull the bolts out and check with torch,if the thread looks the same as bolts ok,if not you have 2 options,remove crank and redill and tap holes-have to match flywheel and crankshaft together-the next size bigger, or get new crank. always use loctite thread locker ford and holden use on assembly lines,most cars do. there are different grades for strength,eg.red for brakes,blue for motors or similar,as you work on the car you can see the colours. cheers :roll: :roll: :roll:

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Happy is a legend! I only have the ea book as my parents used to own an ea. the ea only has three bolts on the torqueplate but. So i figure they must be bigger, and hence there only being three, done up tighter. Assuming the eb and ef/el are the same, then they only have to be done up to 70-80nm. No wonder i snapped them a few nm short of 110!

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

worship me, or thou shall be smoten!

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:22 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Andrew J wrote:
Happy is a legend! I only have the ea book as my parents used to own an ea. the ea only has three bolts on the torqueplate but. So i figure they must be bigger, and hence there only being three, done up tighter. Assuming the eb and ef/el are the same, then they only have to be done up to 70-80nm. No wonder i snapped them a few nm short of 110!

Flywheel/driveplate to crankshaft:
EA/EB1: 110Nm (grade11.9), 85Nm (grade 10.9)
EBII/ED: As above, also pre may93 85Nm, post may 93 70-80Nm
EF/EL: as per may 93 onwards.

You must be talking about the pressure plate bolts as there are x6 bolts Flywheel/driveplate to crankshaft on all I6's.

The engine guys may be able to explain the differences in torque recommendations, and what the grade xx.x means.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Yeah, have since found out hap[py was wrong... again... well, for my situation anyway, Looks like its a suck it and see case for me. Yarrrr! All this for an oil leak.

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

Andrew J wrote:
Yeah, have since found out hap[py was wrong... again... well, for my situation anyway, Looks like its a suck it and see case for me. Yarrrr! All this for an oil leak.
try to buy a manual or reference library or engine reconditioner for specs, all torque specs and info available,i buy books on ebay or photo copy reference library, as all cars are different. :roll: :roll: :roll:

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next