Fordmods Logo

Eb gli wont start with the key, but can be hotwired :( 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Eb gli wont start with the key, but can be hotwired :(
Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EB gli wagon

SA, Australia

Hi there, im new to this site... normally i dont like to ask for help but this time im stumped and its driving me crazy.

i have a 1992 eb gli wag 4L, it has smart lock, I am unable to start it with the key-if i turn it to "start" nothing happens, but if i have the switch on ignition and "hotwire" and bridge the starter motor relay under the bonnet it starts and drives no worries.

i have checked all the relays and fuses they work, the ignition switch is working fine, i have tried changing the bcm but with the replacement bcm "smart lock" is activated, the light flashes, and cannot even start via bridging the relay so i put the original bcm back and the smart lock works fine and can start again if hotwired.

The symptom seems as if it's the neutral/park safety switch but i disconnected it and bridged the wires to over-ride the neutral/park switch (like what people do when converting Auto to Manual) but exact same thing. try to start with the key nothing happens, turn key to ignition and bridge starter relay starts and runs fine... :? im stumped and it's driving me crazy! SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP!!! :(

Post subject: Re: Eb gli wont start with the key, but can be hotwired :(
Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: xg van and ute

WA, Australia

mattyh87 wrote:
Hi there, im new to this site... normally i dont like to ask for help but this time im stumped and its driving me crazy.

i have a 1992 eb gli wag 4L, it has smart lock, I am unable to start it with the key-if i turn it to "start" nothing happens, but if i have the switch on ignition and "hotwire" and bridge the starter motor relay under the bonnet it starts and drives no worries.

i have checked all the relays and fuses they work, the ignition switch is working fine, i have tried changing the bcm but with the replacement bcm "smart lock" is activated, the light flashes, and cannot even start via bridging the relay so i put the original bcm back and the smart lock works fine and can start again if hotwired.

The symptom seems as if it's the neutral/park safety switch but i disconnected it and bridged the wires to over-ride the neutral/park switch (like what people do when converting Auto to Manual) but exact same thing. try to start with the key nothing happens, turn key to ignition and bridge starter relay starts and runs fine... :? im stumped and it's driving me crazy! SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP!!! :(

put replacement bcm in turn to "on" position go have a beer for 20 mins
come back try to start

what you are doing is reprograming the bcm to the key
the remotes are a different matter

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:13 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EB gli wagon

SA, Australia

thank you alby, much appreciated... that worked :)

im not majorly fussed about the remote because i still have the switch in the car for the doors, but i dont suppose you know how to get the remote central locking working with the new bcm?

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: xg van and ute

WA, Australia

mattyh87 wrote:
thank you alby, much appreciated... that worked :)

im not majorly fussed about the remote because i still have the switch in the car for the doors, but i dont suppose you know how to get the remote central locking working with the new bcm?

nah never done it but it's writen on here how to do it and it's not hard
just pressing buttons and such
google or the search button is your friend here

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Futura

TAS, Australia

mattyh87 wrote:

Turn the ignition to acc, within 5 seconds push the demister button 3 times. The door locks should cycle once to indicate that it's ready to learn new remote codes.

Push the door lock button once on all the remotes you want to program, keep in mind that all old remotes will be cleared as soon as it entered the learning mode, but since you've installed a new BCM that isn't a problem.

I think it may cycle the door locks for every remote you program too.

Once you've programmed all remotes turn the ignition back to off, the door locks may cycle again. You now be able to use all remotes programmed.

DCII LTD V8 - leather - low k's
1978 XC '1/2' 500 project 302C
BA Futura wagon
P38 Range Rover HSE

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:36 pm 
SA Cruise Moderator

Ride: 1993 EBll xr6, 2003 ba xt

Power: 150 rwkw

SA, Australia

lukey1990 wrote:
mattyh87 wrote:

Turn the ignition to acc, within 5 seconds push the demister button 3 times. The door locks should cycle once to indicate that it's ready to learn new remote codes.

Push the door lock button once on all the remotes you want to program, keep in mind that all old remotes will be cleared as soon as it entered the learning mode, but since you've installed a new BCM that isn't a problem.

Once you've programmed all remotes turn the ignition back to off, the door locks may cycle again. You now be able to use all remotes programmed.

thats right except for the eb ed falcons it the boot button

Owning 1 of 84,847 ebII.
2x clarion subs 1200w, 1x clarion amp 400w, pioneer headunit, 16x8 roh reflex.
Clear side, front indicators, White dials, trip computer, boot spoiler, K & N air filter.
35% tint, paint code (z) stark white, 3" crome nudge bar, Xh snorkle

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Futura

TAS, Australia

jonathon wrote:
lukey1990 wrote:
mattyh87 wrote:

thats right except for the eb ed falcons it the boot button

Ah he had an EB.. :oops:

DCII LTD V8 - leather - low k's
1978 XC '1/2' 500 project 302C
BA Futura wagon
P38 Range Rover HSE

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]