Fordmods Logo

EB-I into diag mode? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EBI Gl :(

QLD, Australia

OK.. so I've bought the timing light, one of the el cheapo red ones. Can't see a damn thing :)

I found some docs on putting the ECU into diag mode, but I think they're for EBII onwards.. I've got an EBI CFI and no fancy panel behind a kickplate, just a bunch of empty plugs on the end of a wiring loom.

Worse: When giving it a test run just now I noticed a)a very nasty rattle under the rocker cover and b) lots of soot and cold(!) water coming from the exhaust... not happy!!

So to kick things off: how do I put the trusty EEC-IV in an EB-I into diag mode?

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Tried search, found a lovely diagram that has no bearing on my plight though - seems no bugger owns an EBI (can't blame them), everything's for EBII onwards :(. And I almost bought a gregory's this morning - only if I had, there wouldn't have been any money left for the timing light! :(

Ah well.. the thing still runs, which is good. I've brought the car into work to play with it and I've got to go pick the missus up in a bit - she'll be less than amused if I'm late because I took the car apart, she's already shirty about the $20 I spent on the light!

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Closest I found was in http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... tic+timing

Quote:
Diagnostic mode for EA-ED is done by connecting the upper and lower far left pins, on the diagnostics port under the fuse panel.
Alternatively you can earth the top left pin somewwere if you can't join the two clips together.
When they're connected, start the car.
Revs will pick up for a bit, then drop back down.
Once it's dropped down, you can set the timing.

Which is all well and good, excepting I've got a bunch of relays in there. There's the loom end at the back on the driver's side - I'm guessing shorting the pins on the LHS will do the trick?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]