Fordmods Logo

eb manual gear box into el fairmont ghia 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: eb manual gear box into el fairmont ghia
Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:01 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 42 images

QLD, Australia

i am converting my el fairmont ghia to manual, gear box is about to go in, but i dont no where to plug or wire the gear box reverse lights and wiring to? can anyone help? has anyone done this?

Post subject: Re: eb manual gear box into el fairmont ghia
Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:06 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

Iv done the conversion
Take my word if you want to keep your car reliable DO NOT DO THE RESISTOR TRICK!
It might work on EB's but doesn't work well at all on EL ghia's you'll end up wreaking your Ghia mate

The resistor trick is a cheap and nasty fix don't be pov and cut corners. Find your self proper wire loom on EL's you'll need whole wire loom because gearbox loom is unable to be detached from main loom like pre EL's, get yourself a proper manual ECU cos your running Tickford engine id go an XR6 manual ecu

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:56 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

ELboy wrote:
Iv done the conversion
Take my word if you want to keep your car reliable DO NOT DO THE RESISTOR TRICK!
It might work on EB's but doesn't work well at all on EL ghia's you'll end up wreaking your Ghia mate

The resistor trick is a cheap and nasty fix don't be pov and cut corners. Find your self proper wire loom on EL's you'll need whole wire loom because gearbox loom is unable to be detached from main loom like pre EL's, get yourself a proper manual ECU cos your running Tickford engine id go an XR6 manual ecu

Ohh, we better inform the hundreds of people out there that have done the resistor trick on EF/EL's that it doesn't work!

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:55 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Krytox wrote:
ELboy wrote:
Iv done the conversion

Ohh, we better inform the hundreds of people out there that have done the resistor trick on EF/EL's that it doesn't work!

Yeah... I think we should... Obviously those 4 years my EL Ghia spent as a manual (and is still a manual I believe) was complete luck and should never have ben... Or the 10 other cars I did conversions on... mmm. :shock:

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:58 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

iv bought the j3 chip to make the auto ecu its a manual if thats what you where getting at?thats not my problem though. so i need a el manual gear box loom so i can hook the wires up from my eb manual gear box? correct me if im worng thanks

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:07 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

arm79 wrote:
Krytox wrote:
ELboy wrote:
Iv done the conversion

Yeah... I think we should... Obviously those 4 years my EL Ghia spent as a manual (and is still a manual I believe) was complete luck and should never have ben... Or the 10 other cars I did conversions on... mmm. :shock:

How did you connect the manual gear box wires to the el?

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:09 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

unfortunatly el gearbox loom is part of the engine bay loom, it doesnt unplug like ed/ef..

best thing is to loop back/bridge the 2 inhibutor wires in the 4 pin white plug that normally goes to the inhibutor/gear position switch on the auto, and run 2 wires from the manual reverse switch to the other 2 wires in the same white plug..
you just need to find what wires are inhibutor/starter and reverse wires in that plug

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:10 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

You need to make up your own custom loom to plug into the square white plug that came from the auto transmission.

This is just for the reverse lights and starter circuit. The big round plug you just leave alone and let it dangle.

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:20 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

thanks very much everyone this should help. alot, dident no where to start.

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:53 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 1990 ea 5 speed

SA, Australia

ELboy wrote:
Iv done the conversion

i got an el gli did the 5 spd conversion n did tha resistors never had a problem with it fair enough if u have the money for the proper 5 spd computer n all that stuff then sure do it always better to do it properly but the resistor thing aint that dodgey it jus sends the computer the proper info to let the car keep running

89 ea falcon " panda" ef 5spd i6 engine with wade 1673 cam shaved ported head, full stainless 2 n half inch zaust 20 inch rims n 330mm brake upgrade soon to hae m90 blower running 12 pound pulley :D

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:49 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

the thing is, its obvious it didnt work for him because he didnt know what he was doing..

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:50 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

arm79 wrote:
You need to make up your own custom loom to plug into the square white plug that came from the auto transmission.

This is just for the reverse lights and starter circuit. The big round plug you just leave alone and let it dangle.

got the 5 speed into today, and got 4 wires from the gear box and 4 wires from the loom and cant find the right ones to connect to, i can get it to start so i think iv got to wires that are right, just cant get reverse lights to come on................

does anyone no if the reverse light wires are at the top of the gear box or at the other connect at the bottom of the gear box?

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:05 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 16 images

Power: 165 rwkw

NSW, Australia

there the bottom ones, top is neutral start (pretty sure)

Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:58 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

bottom ones, okay ill give that a go thanks

Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:17 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
unfortunatly el gearbox loom is part of the engine bay loom, it doesnt unplug like ed/ef..

best thing is to loop back/bridge the 2 inhibutor wires in the 4 pin white plug that normally goes to the inhibutor/gear position switch on the auto, and run 2 wires from the manual reverse switch to the other 2 wires in the same white plug..
you just need to find what wires are inhibutor/starter and reverse wires in that plug

still having abit of trubble with the wiring. what do you mean by loop back/bridge 2 of the wires on the 4 pin plug?

and if i only run 2 wires from the gear box wich are the reverse lights back to the 4 pin plug what do i do with the other 2 wires from the gear box?

if you can help explain would be great, otherwise ill try work it out my self haha, thanks

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next