Fordmods Logo

EB ticky and ef el ticky heads. what difference is there???? 

 

Page 4 of 4 [ 56 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

 
 Post subject: Re: Bang for buck?? Obtained EB2 Tickford head.
Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 584

Joined: 4th Apr 2010

Ride: AU falcon

Location: toongabbie
VIC, Australia

that looks like my work bench.

 

_________________

Au factory 5sp, rolling on 20'z, full custom extractors, redback cat and back. has a new motors, only 27,000ks

Welcome to Toongabbie motorsports :P

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Bang for buck?? Obtained EB2 Tickford head.
Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:14 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 259

Joined: 13th May 2008

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 1995 Fairmont 5 Speed

Location: Traralgon
VIC, Australia

Just remembered the other day that my local head reconditioner is the mrs' best friends old man AND used to knock around with my old lady's family back in the day.
This could work out to my advantage. 8-)

 

_________________

FOR SALE: EBII TICKFORD HEAD. Pm me :)
TOONGABBIE MOTORSPORTS
FAIRMONT 5 SPEED BUILD THREAD: http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sam-s-ef-new-car-1995-fairmont-t92322.html
FOR SALE: ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-things-that-need-to-go-eseries-bits-t100455.html

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Bang for buck?? Obtained EB2 Tickford head.
Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 116

Joined: 22nd Oct 2009

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 1977 Ford Escort/ 1994 Ford EF

Location: Traralgon
VIC, Australia

DormanAU wrote:
dont forget a vernier gear too....fine tuning


wouldnt bother. especially when you factor in the cost of the cam wheel, then all the tuning time to get it spot on. for what gain? sweet F all..

just skim the head a few thou to bump up compression, decent cam, nice set of extractors, high flow cat, 2.5" exhaust. then contact a place like ChipTorque and get a J3 chip to suit the setup.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Bang for buck?? Obtained EB2 Tickford head.
Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 584

Joined: 4th Apr 2010

Ride: AU falcon

Location: toongabbie
VIC, Australia

fair enough i thought verier gears were the bees knees....save a few pennys

 

_________________

Au factory 5sp, rolling on 20'z, full custom extractors, redback cat and back. has a new motors, only 27,000ks

Welcome to Toongabbie motorsports :P

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Bang for buck?? Obtained EB2 Tickford head.
Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 25

Posts: 164

Joined: 1st Jan 2010

Ride: EF manual Monty

Location: canberra
ACT, Australia

James84 wrote:
DormanAU wrote:
dont forget a vernier gear too....fine tuning


wouldnt bother. especially when you factor in the cost of the cam wheel, then all the tuning time to get it spot on. for what gain? sweet F all..

just skim the head a few thou to bump up compression, decent cam, nice set of extractors, high flow cat, 2.5" exhaust. then contact a place like ChipTorque and get a J3 chip to suit the setup.

If your talking about sweet F all for vernier gear and saving money dont bother with hi flow cat, unless your going to go an illegal one they make sweet F all difference unless you got some decent work done.

Stock one arent actualy too bad.

 

_________________

R.I.P My red beast :(

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Bang for buck?? Obtained EB2 Tickford head.
Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 116

Joined: 22nd Oct 2009

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 1977 Ford Escort/ 1994 Ford EF

Location: Traralgon
VIC, Australia

fal98con wrote:
James84 wrote:
DormanAU wrote:
dont forget a vernier gear too....fine tuning


wouldnt bother. especially when you factor in the cost of the cam wheel, then all the tuning time to get it spot on. for what gain? sweet F all..

just skim the head a few thou to bump up compression, decent cam, nice set of extractors, high flow cat, 2.5" exhaust. then contact a place like ChipTorque and get a J3 chip to suit the setup.

If your talking about sweet F all for vernier gear and saving money dont bother with hi flow cat, unless your going to go an illegal one they make sweet F all difference unless you got some decent work done.

Stock one arent actualy too bad.

yeah, thats a good point.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Bang for buck?? Obtained EB2 Tickford head.
Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 4285

Joined: 8th Dec 2004

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

Location: ** In the Shed! **
VIC, Australia

Last head i had ported when it was reco'd was my mighty boy's head, they took it out as far as it could go, cost me $30 per port for the work. Being a 3cyl, it only has 6 ports so the total bill for the reco, which included new guides, new seats, new valves, face the rocker gear, deck the head 10thou, test & shim up the valve springs, install the cam & rocker gear was $485. I'd be expecting a 6cyl falcon head to be about $1000 for the same work.

I didn't need to replace the valves, but they were very cheap, and not many to do so i did it anyway.Springs on the other hand were on the limits of spec & not easily obtainable, so they were shimmed up & reused.

Even with the stock cam, it made a big difference to the engine power in the mid & top end. If i ever have the head off my Eb I6 again, i will be getting it ported at the least. Might as well while it's off right?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

 

_________________

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Bang for buck?? Obtained EB2 Tickford head.
Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 584

Joined: 4th Apr 2010

Ride: AU falcon

Location: toongabbie
VIC, Australia

i got bored today and started smoothing out the inside of a bbm...this would have to help promote flow into the head? or just a waste of time....me and sam are pretty much doing the same mods....kinda a comp whos goes faster...i wanna get an edge :P

 

_________________

Au factory 5sp, rolling on 20'z, full custom extractors, redback cat and back. has a new motors, only 27,000ks

Welcome to Toongabbie motorsports :P

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Bang for buck?? Obtained EB2 Tickford head.
Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:16 am 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 100

Joined: 7th Feb 2009

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

Location: Gold Coast
QLD, Australia

I recently had my EB 2 tickford head ported by Gilbert's (the place in autospeed article) what a disapointment. It included chemical clean crack and softness test, new valve guides and valves cut and extensive port work cost $1100 all up. Take my word don't even bother the difference between my old stock 140 000km EL tickford head and my new worked EB head is so minimal the only difference is @ 4500rpm it doesn't run out of puff anymore will rev sweetly to redline and sounds better so unless you really like to thrash your motor i would spend my money on something more worthwhile. If you want bang for buck look at doing 5speed conversion will cost around same price, when done properly (ie chip not resistor trick) you will not be disappointed
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Bang for buck?? Obtained EB2 Tickford head.
Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:43 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 259

Joined: 13th May 2008

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 1995 Fairmont 5 Speed

Location: Traralgon
VIC, Australia

ELboy wrote:
I recently had my EB 2 tickford head ported by Gilbert's (the place in autospeed article) what a disapointment. It included chemical clean crack and softness test, new valve guides and valves cut and extensive port work cost $1100 all up. Take my word don't even bother the difference between my old stock 140 000km EL tickford head and my new worked EB head is so minimal the only difference is @ 4500rpm it doesn't run out of puff anymore will rev sweetly to redline and sounds better so unless you really like to thrash your motor i would spend my money on something more worthwhile. If you want bang for buck look at doing 5speed conversion will cost around same price, when done properly (ie chip not resistor trick) you will not be disappointed


already done the manual conversion Mate. The car's not too far from 300 thou so I'm looking at a reco anyway... The eb tickford head I picked up only needs a basic reco. May as well get it match-ported etc. while it's there...

Did you get it dyno'd? Sure your bottom end is still good? Or even your auto?

Can anyone tell me the differences between ebII tickford and ef el tickford heads? Because the I wanna put it on is an ef.

 

_________________

FOR SALE: EBII TICKFORD HEAD. Pm me :)
TOONGABBIE MOTORSPORTS
FAIRMONT 5 SPEED BUILD THREAD: http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sam-s-ef-new-car-1995-fairmont-t92322.html
FOR SALE: ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-things-that-need-to-go-eseries-bits-t100455.html

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: EB ticky and ef el ticky heads. what difference is there????
Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:41 am 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 259

Joined: 13th May 2008

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 1995 Fairmont 5 Speed

Location: Traralgon
VIC, Australia

need as much info as i can get in regards to EB tickford head as opposed to EF EL tickford head.

thanks.

Sam.

 

_________________

FOR SALE: EBII TICKFORD HEAD. Pm me :)
TOONGABBIE MOTORSPORTS
FAIRMONT 5 SPEED BUILD THREAD: http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sam-s-ef-new-car-1995-fairmont-t92322.html
FOR SALE: ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-things-that-need-to-go-eseries-bits-t100455.html

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 4 of 4  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:37 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names