Fordmods Logo

eb wont go passed 120 

Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: eb wont go passed 120
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EB falcon

QLD, Australia

well i went to overtake a car and the eb just wouldnt push past 120 no matter how hard i had my foot on the loud peddle it just would not go, any suggestins to what the cause could be? ive tried cleaning the throttle body ive done the fuel filter and airfilter as well as the fuel pump which was clapped out the other day when i did the service.

Post subject: Re: eb wont go passed 120
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

does it run like a normal falcon should? or does it run out of puff up in the revs, or does it just simply go fine up until that speed and not go any further?
could be the cam timing if it runs out of puff/runs bad
what work has been done to the car lately?
how many kms on the car and what condition would you rate the engine/transmission?

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:18 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Could be your new fuel filter is already stuffed if you stired up the contents of the bottom of the tank.

Could also be beggered injectors, unable to reach a suitable duty cycle. is it a slug to get to 120? or can you punch it and just go no further?

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

when i done the fule filter the tank was drained and cleaned, there is no work to the engine, the cars only done 140k's, the engine and box is fine runs like a normal auto falcon, you can punch it and it gets up and goes doesnt run out of puff just hit's 120 and doesnt want to go any further, it sits in 4th and just sits there i dropped it back to 3rd and it still doesnt pick up just sits there. ive allready talked to a mechanic and he cant think of anything off the top of his head even though he took it for a drive himself and replicated the problem he reckons it could be either the ecu or the engine breaking down but the engine cant be breaking down if it can winde out and not splutter, timeing is correct we checked all that in diag mode, checked for any lose wireing and checked the fuel supply is at correct pressure at first i thought it may have been a fuel pressure problem but it isnt, just has me stumped.

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

blocked exhaust perhaps? like collapsed cat or muffler

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

I wonder what the CAT and the exhaust system is like????....is there a small split in the MAP sensor hose.......is the fuel pressure reg. working properly.....is the dizzy ok????....how is the coil...how are the leads?????......are the brakes dragging?????

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

cjh wrote:
I wonder what the CAT and the exhaust system is like????....is there a small split in the MAP sensor hose.......is the fuel pressure reg. working properly.....is the dizzy ok????....how is the coil...how are the leads?????......are the brakes dragging?????

youd think any or the problems that we've mentioned above would affect the car at any speed, so long as they are reving it high, i find it weird that its doing it at 120km/h
maybe get a second mechanics opinion or swap an ecu out of the same type of car to eliminate that part causeing the problem, is the accelorator cable stretched? is the floor mat jammed up under your accelorator pedal :?:

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:08 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

WILDEB wrote:
blocked exhaust perhaps? like collapsed cat or muffler

+500!!! forgot, check this out!!

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

I'd check the cable aswell my eb wouldn't do 140 cable was streached.

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

brakes not dragging i had that adjusted ages ago, accel it's streatched it's brand new and i dont have floor mats, all vaccume hoses wer done when i got the car a few months ago, exhaust is brand new and cat well there isnt anything left inside it so cant be clogged, as for swapping the ecu unless somebody has a pre smartlock eb s1 ecu for a cfi 3.9 then nope havent done that, fuel pressure reg was replaced when i done the injectors, dizzy is right cap, leads, coil rotor button and plugs all new, map sensor was replaced, checked for vaccume leaks but that wouldnt be the cause or else it would play up all the time, just has me stumped i was a 3rd yr mechanic thats why i got a second opinion with a qualified mechanic, even checked the workshop manual and followed the suggestions in there which didnt help.

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

lol at the punched cat, i almost said something along the lines of punch it out and rule out that problem but youv beat me to it!!

hmm cpi, i dono how that works but i think someone else was complaining about this problem a few months ago with cpi do a search and see if im on the money here
could of been on boosted or aff

BF XR6

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

Have you been playing with screws on the carbie?

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:18 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Pakrat wrote:
Have you been playing with screws on the carbie?

lol@ carby.. what carby??

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:22 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 1991 eb1 fairmont

QLD, Australia

i have had 2 ECU's fail on my 91 eb series 1 but they gave me trouble all the time.
have you thought that the transmission computer (up where the clutch pedal pivot would be) could be sending the wrong signal to the ECU?
my wife thinks it's been governed. don't know if that's possible but her 2c
maybe unplug the speedo transducer and go for a drive if it goes faster than 120 then someones had it governed

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

If it's nothing to do with the engine, it sounds a bit like a collapsed/blocked cat converter.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next