Fordmods Logo

EBII blown head gasket and leaks oil like no tomorrow. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: EBII blown head gasket and leaks oil like no tomorrow.
Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:04 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Falcon

WA, Australia

i was driving home from a cruise a few weeks ago and my oil light comes on. quickly get the car home and notice an oil trail all up my street (and previous streets) leading right to my driveway. late at nite (2 in the morning) i checked the engine oil and notice that the head has shat itself (grey sludge). anyway went to take the head off and to my surprise the head bolts are stripped. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: . the bolts are 14mm, so i used a 13mm impact socket to remove the bolts. all are off except 1, which is completley rooted. if i dont get this bolt off soon, will my head get warped :( . i had to use alot of impact with a hammer to get the sockets on, so have i done any damage the head/engine? and whats the deal with using AU head gaskets? oh and i cant seem to find where the oil is coming from.

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:08 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU 1 Tonner

NSW, Australia

get an old s**t socket and weld it on but cover up all you oil ports around it so no unwanted weld falls down it. Tighten the other bolts up so you can undo the bolt eiser. Happen to me to
Have fun

To be old and wise you first have to be young and stupid

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EBII

NSW, Australia

Depending on how stuck these bolts are, there is a product around, from memory called "gra-bit", basically when your bolts are stripped, the tool is drilled into the centre of the bolt with one side (Its this double sided drill attachment) and then use the other end to "grab" the hole thats been drilled, and extract your bolt. Jaycar do a small size one for around $50, but there are different sizes, just not too sure where to get them.

Back in an E series!

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:41 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

might give that a go, cuz i cant weld for s**t. :oops: are the AU head gaskets any better than normal eb ones?

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Well just pulling off the bolts in any old fashion can't be good for the head let alone leaving one in. Just make sure that you get the head inspected and cleaned up by a pro, that way, you'll have peace of mind. To get the bolt off, you could use some vicegrips really tight on it and either get a longer pole around the grips for leverage or give the grips a few sharp hits with a hammer.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EA Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

to get one of mine off that rounded the head, i used the grinder to make a groove as deep as possible, then I hammered in a bit of flat steel, then I used an adjustable spanner with a long bar for leverage and the bolt caem out no worries, still got it at home, will have to post upa pic :)

Full working BA Shifter now upgraded to BF Shifter.
BA headlight inserts in my EA headlights.

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:55 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

smiley235 wrote:
Well just pulling off the bolts in any old fashion can't be good for the head let alone leaving one in. Just make sure that you get the head inspected and cleaned up by a pro, that way, you'll have peace of mind. To get the bolt off, you could use some vicegrips really tight on it and either get a longer pole around the grips for leverage or give the grips a few sharp hits with a hammer.

i took them off in the proper order, its just the last one left that wont come out.
these bolts have been overtightened cuz i had trouble getting them off. ive snapped 3 sydchrome sockets and ruined an impact socket.

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

EALCON 3.9 wrote:
smiley235 wrote:

i took them off in the proper order, its just the last one left that wont come out.
these bolts have been overtightened cuz i had trouble getting them off. ive snapped 3 sydchrome sockets and ruined an impact socket.

Geez, thats bs. It's so common for mechanics to make blunders down the track and not have to worry about it, I came across my list of problems myself. Did you loosen them in the correct order, then removed them or did you just take them out in that order. If you did the latter, put the bolts back in and tighten them up a bit, that will disperse all the force pushing up on that last bolt. Good luck with it mate.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:30 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

when i said all bolts are off i meant i had cracked them. u know when u turn the bolts and u hear the crack sound. so i can get them off. there still bolted in just turned 45 degrees. and i cannot loosen the last one for the love of god. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Oh, sorry, i misunderstood. :oops: Well you head should be fine then, I left my head in a simlar state to yours for over a week and no warpage.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:43 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

ive been drivin my EA around for the apst 2 weeks cuz i cant fix the EB. im spending $120 a week for petrol

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

weld an IMPACT socket to it, get a breaker bar and a metal pole with a hole in it, slide it over the breaker bar, and it should come off.
i didn't have this problem, a few of my bolts were pretty much finger tight.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: falocn

VIC, Australia

or another way is just to drill the head off the bolt. and lift the head off. then just get the bolf out with vice grips with the head out of the way. well thats what i would do.

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

yeh also what evil ef said and if the vice grips don't get it, grind 2 flat edges in it and get a shifter onto it.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:02 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

thanx guys. i'll give it a try.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]