ED Burning Oil 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: ED Burning Oil
Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: VY Commodore Wagon Accli

VIC, Australia

Well, abit more Car woe's to add to the ED, this time it's a problem I would like to tackle before it gets to the point where it is too late, as I am seeing the same effects on my car to another member widely known on boosted as Kyle_the_ED_4ltre, also known on fordmods as Kyle_Bardell.

Anyway, the car's burning oil, it's not burning too much at present, and my oil gauge (the car's a fairmont) is showing right on the first bar before 0, which is ringing alarm bells. The Oil is currently getting good wear, and it is also showing on the full mark, right where it should be.

After a quick chat with kyle, I'm not sure what I can exactly pin point to look at, my uncle suggested that there is possibly a secondary oil filter embedded within the engine, but his not 100% positive, and I was also thinking maybe oil pump, or even piston rings, but I'm really not very tempted to pull the head off, because I've already done that.

If it comes to the crunch where I need a new engine, then I guess I'd betta get a new engine, but I would like to keep the ED Engine, and slowly recondition that myself, seeing as it has a decent head already.

What I'm really asking though is, is there anywhere else obvious that I can look? as I don't want to leave it and then have it go at the worst possible place and time ever known to human.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Post subject: Re: ED Burning Oil
Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:06 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

if the oil pressure is low the first question is..
does the oil pressure drop when the engine is hot or after a good run or is it always low??

if its always low i would be looking at maybe a crook oil pump or pressure sender..
if the pressure only drops after a good drive or when the engine is hot i would bee thinking bottom end bearings have a little to much clearence..

and considering its starting to burn oil it might be time for a new engine..
but before you decide to get another engine what grade oil is in it??
as the oil could be the issue..

Last edited by TROYMAN on Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Have you checked the oil pressure using a mechanical guage?

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
if the oil pressure is low the first question is..
does the oil pressure drop when the engine is hot or after a good run or is it always low??

if its always low i would be looking at maybe a crook oil pump or pressure sender..
if the pressure only drops after a good drive or when the engine is hot i would bee thinking bottom end bearings have a little to much clearence..

and considering its starting to burn oil it might be time for a new engine..
but before you decide to get another engine what grade oil is in it??
as the oil could be the issue..

The Oil Pressure is always low.

Not sure about bottom end bearings, I've never changed anything down low, but I would love to think that it's a crook oil pump.

The Grade of oil is Castrol Magnatec, 10W 40, it's recommended on Castrol's very own website for the car.

I have just checked the spark plugs as well, they aren't oil fouled, they are carbon fouled, but before you get your rockers off on that, I accidentally had the car running way too advanced after I changed the head gasket, it took a while for it to click to me, but I got there, and I got the timing correct, and it's been running ok ever since, apart from the oil pressure.

Here is a few pic's of the Number 1 Spark Plug:

Attachment:
Carbon Fouled Spark Plugs 001.jpg
Carbon Fouled Spark Plugs 001.jpg [ 44.67 KiB | Viewed 130 times ]
Attachment:
Carbon Fouled Spark Plugs 002.jpg
Carbon Fouled Spark Plugs 002.jpg [ 51.07 KiB | Viewed 122 times ]
Attachment:
Carbon Fouled Spark Plugs 003.jpg
Carbon Fouled Spark Plugs 003.jpg [ 42.77 KiB | Viewed 131 times ]

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

67RCE wrote:
Have you checked the oil pressure using a mechanical guage?

No I haven't, how would I go about doing that?

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

No doubt you would fit a mechanical gauge up where the pressure sender bolts up, with some sort of adaptor.

Goodluck getting it all figured out.

Sounds like you might need an oil pump and a set of rings...

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:42 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: toyo,2ea,3eb,1ef,1el,zh

QLD, Australia

by the plugs-there not oil carbon fouled-- they are quite cleen, its more a bit rich on fuel than anything. i would be trying a 20/50w oil & good quality filter first :)

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

i'll float the idea that the injector to that sparkplug is dumping a little more fuel than the others and there maybe a small leak if the oil isnt coming in contact with combustion gas too much (ie its cleanish)

or maybe the PCV is jammed or something

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:28 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

How are you coming to the conclusion it's burning oil?
How much is it using?

Seriously, forget all the random ideas being thrown around this thread, get a proper pressure gauge and check the oil pressure manually, as suggested above.
If the lifters aren't going off their head at startup, if theres not a bottom end knock, then it's a pretty good chance the oil pressure is fine and the sender and/or wiring to the sender is f**k.

I love the panic merchants in this thread, "my engine uses an unspecified amount of oil and has slightly low oil pressure on the gauge"... "RINGS AND OIL PUMP ARE f**k" :lol:

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

xcbest wrote:
by the plugs-there not oil carbon fouled-- they are quite cleen, its more a bit rich on fuel than anything. i would be trying a 20/50w oil & good quality filter first :)

Hmmm, I'll have a go at that 20/50w oil, as for the oil filter, I use Ryco and alway's use that brand.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

fiftyone wrote:
i'll float the idea that the injector to that sparkplug is dumping a little more fuel than the others and there maybe a small leak if the oil isnt coming in contact with combustion gas too much (ie its cleanish)

If you remember rightly, before the head gasket went, the PCV Valve was jammed, and I got an AU PCV valve on your recomendation :P, maybe the AU one isn't the best to be used?

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
How are you coming to the conclusion it's burning oil?
How much is it using?

Seriously, forget all the random ideas being thrown around this thread, get a proper pressure gauge and check the oil pressure manually, as suggested above.
If the lifters aren't going off their head at startup, if theres not a bottom end knock, then it's a pretty good chance the oil pressure is fine and the sender and/or wiring to the sender is f**k.

I love the panic merchants in this thread, "my engine uses an unspecified amount of oil and has slightly low oil pressure on the gauge"... "RINGS AND OIL PUMP ARE f**k" :lol:

For the Burning oil bit, I'm now seriously thinking twice about that (I asked a neighbor when I went past and he said it was, but I'll wait for the little brother to get home and he can give me a diagnosis.

And I will definantly borrow an oil pressure gauge and check it manually, I could be just doing exactly what you say and jumping to conclusions, but it's betta safe than sorry :P.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

SpeedyED wrote:
fiftyone wrote:

If you remember rightly, before the head gasket went, the PCV Valve was jammed, and I got an AU PCV valve on your recomendation :P, maybe the AU one isn't the best to be used?

the au one is (should be) better. meant to keep less oil out of the intake.

if the oils clean, id say leak. if its not, with an old engine id say rings. otherwise, i'd say you could just be dreaming maybe? little bit of air in the filter last time you did a change? forgot to top it up altogether?

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

fiftyone wrote:
SpeedyED wrote:
fiftyone wrote:

the au one is (should be) better. meant to keep less oil out of the intake.

if the oils clean, id say leak. if its not, with an old engine id say rings. otherwise, i'd say you could just be dreaming maybe? little bit of air in the filter last time you did a change? forgot to top it up altogether?

Yeah, maybe I am dreaming :mrgreen:, and the Air Filter is new by the way.

I'll try and borrow a Oil Pressure Gauge over the weekend and see how I go.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]