Fordmods Logo

ED fords This is an edited copy so please be kind 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: ED fords This is an edited copy so please be kind
Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:39 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

howdy, just wondered if i got an ED Ford Because There getting a little older could you please list all the things i need to look for when and if i get one later on to get the most use and reliability out of it as i heard by my mechanic some could die soon and some could last donkeys ages and i really want that type of car if possible and have good reliability. i look foward to yur reply.

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:56 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Depends how much you want to spend mate. But I'd be looking for one with an AU head gasket for sure, all e-series had head gasket issues. Also, I wouldn't get an ED with ABS, as it has been known to fail for no apparent reason. One on dual fuel is probably your best bet, and of course, you want a car that has been serviced regularly and looks like the previous owners have looked after it...

You'd think though, that it'd be worth your time and money to shop around a bit longer, save a bit longer and get into an EF or EL, or even a high-k AU, as the a** end has dropped out of the market.

Last edited by 5tumpy on Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:09 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

so if i looked at en ed and the body and interior was imaculate if not excellent condition what would the chance of it lasting if i did some service work myself and paid someone for the big stuff and i gather it would last longer if it hasnt done any caravan work during its life and also how can you tell its been looked after so i could get one with no tow bar that would indicate no towings been done and got someone to put one on myself it would last longer if no towings been done during its life it would last longer wouldnt it and how much and how hard is an au head to fit onto a ed engine or fit a whole au engine in to an ed and what do i need to do to fit a secondhand EF, EL or even a low k AU engine and gearbox into an ed ford and does any wiring need to be changed or is it a simple bolt on and can i still use some of the good ed parts like the coil or radiator or dizzy. how much does it cost to buy a secondhand EF, EL or even a low k AU engine and gearbox into an ed ford from the traders post or a wrecker

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

5tumpy wrote:
I'd be looking for one with an AU head for sure, all e-series had head issues.

E-series have head gasket issues, not head issues. Put an AU or good aftermarket head gasket under an eseries head and no more problems. The only positive about the head gasket trouble of e-series are that they are an easy and a relatively cheap repair to do yourself.

There is some information here http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31883 about engine conversions.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:20 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

im still after the au engine and gear box prices and wether you need to change the ed wiring or being as simple as a bolt in job and being able to use any of the ed parts. thanks for the replies anyway

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

interstate youd get an AU engine for $500 but here your looking at closer to $1000 (deals do come along if you wait). As for the gearbox, really depends on condition. To be honest I havent seen many AU boxes being sold 2nd hand, but lots of 150-250,000km e-series 2nd hand autos come up for $300-400. I wouldnt expect them to have much life left and rebuilds are expensive.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:30 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

how easy is it to do a rebuild to the e series engine and gear box myself with some help from a friend that's rebuilt engines and what are the parts worth to rebuild an e series engine and gear box

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA xr8 Magnet ute

VIC, Australia

this is like the 5th thread from u on the same topic lol

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:14 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
5tumpy wrote:
I'd be looking for one with an AU head for sure, all e-series had head issues.

E-series have head gasket issues, not head issues. Put an AU or good aftermarket head gasket under an eseries head and no more problems. The only positive about the head gasket trouble of e-series are that they are an easy and a relatively cheap repair to do yourself.

There is some information here http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31883 about engine conversions.

hehehe... Was half half asleep when I wrote that, missed gasket and didn't even notice, thanks for pointing that out matey!

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:41 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

i might give these things a go oneday not sure when and see what happens

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]