Fordmods Logo

ED Head Gasket Replacement 

Page 5 of 10 [ 137 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

Post subject: Re: ED Head Gasket Replacement
Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

well i am offically lost. The last piece in the far right of that pic is part of the tensioner and sticks out of the hole, and pushes against the chain guide, which the chain is resting on.

nothing is connected to the chain guide bar the chain itself, nor should anything else be near it, apart from the tensioner i mentioned which pushes against the chain guide

you really need to take pics tommorow, dont panic !!

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: VY Commodore Wagon Accli

VIC, Australia

I already am panicking...

Look at it this way, how the hell is that timing chain supposed to tension with nothing sitting in that grove???

If what I have now broken is going to be a expensive fix (to tell you the truth I have already spent $750 on this whole gasket change alone..., $530 went to replacing the Valve Seats), I am going to offload that car like I did to my old VN.... not funny/happy jan

And as for pic's, how the hell am I supposed to take a pic of the part when it's down the timing case somewhere???

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

take a pic of where it was !! Take a pic of the pieces you have left.

can you have a look inside the timing cover & just confirm if there is a long green plastic chain guide connected to the chain, and if it is sitting directly in front of the hole were the chain tensioner is supposed to stick out of?

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:33 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

SpeedyED wrote:
as I said before, I now realise I didn't release the tension correctly.... remember I took the whole filler plug out, and wondered why the allen key trick wasn't working, so I made that tool in the first post...

And don't start saying I'm going to have to replace all the guides and chain aswell..... How much is all this going to be??? another $500 or so? if thats the case I'm not even going to work on that car...

But then again it felt like I didn't break it, at first when I felt it release I could only turn it 90 degree's, but then again it might have still been connected but broken, so when I pulled my invented tool out that thingo would have fallen out...

This is now going to s**t me behond believe.... that's worse than bagging out my old VN Commonbore :? :? :?

Why did you put that tool in if half the tensioner was already out? Did that tool you make lock itself onto the piston and thus turning the piston? cause if you did end up turning the piston, you may have inadvertently snapped the timing chain guide. if that tool you made was for the purpose of turning the sleeve, then you may be safe. Have a look at the drivers side guide down the timing case, if it looks snapped you have answered your question.

If you look into the shaft...does it look like this...

At the end of the shaft is the timing chain guide, it has a long and wide protruding piece off of it which sits inside the groove of the piston, if it's not there, then yes you have broken it. The protruding piece runs parallel to the guide but is slightly smaller then the guide...think of it as floor boards which have the tongue and groove system...the tongue bit is the guide side and the groove is the piston side.

Timing chain guide and chain come in a kit...should cost less then $500 to replace...I believe around $250ish?

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I'm pretty sure that chain guide is metal but anyway,

I can tell you for fact that it isn't there at all... 100% sure of that, it's down the timing case....

Phong, how long am I going to need to allow for to get the timing cover off.... I'm very very very very very reluctant to replace the chain, as for the whole stupid gay guide, can't I just get that from a wrecker??? I'm abit panicky because if this is going to cost more any more than $900 I might as well have gotten another engine, maybe tickford :|, and I'm going to have to take time off work, not to mention my own boss ain't going to be pleased.

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

VIC, Australia

i'm lost lol. Which part did you break and drop down the timing case ? Does this picture help ?

Attachments:
timing chain.jpg
timing chain.jpg [ 166.08 KiB | Viewed 233 times ]

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Phong now understands what I've broken :P.

Damo, in your picture, it's the left hand timing guide, on that guide, right behind the tensioner itself, is a part on the guide that moves when you go to tension the chain, will I've broken it, and it's either in the empty sump or still within the timing section somewhere.

I think as what I'm after is metal, I'll go to the wreckers and get what I want, I do have an old unused timing gasket kit, so anything I might need from that I'll use from that.

Also I'll need to purchase that o-ring that goes around the filler itself, I'll hopefully have the chain tensioned by the end of the day, only I have a bloke coming round to prime the rad support and bumper, and one he primes it I'm not going to be able to do any more work on the car, + I MISS MY OWN CAR, I HATE THAT SUZUKI!!!!!! when can I set fire to the damed thing phong? Not being able to drive my car properly for, f**k, 6 weeks :shock:

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

yeah that guide is metal, the other two guides are plastic. When you remove the timing cover, be careful not to drop the bottom guide into the sump :wink:

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

How many bolts are supposed to be holding that timing cover???

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Well I've unfortunately had to stop progress on that timing chain, here's why:

Attachment:
Front Bumper and Rad support Painting 001.jpg
Front Bumper and Rad support Painting 001.jpg [ 102.02 KiB | Viewed 180 times ]
Attachment:
Front Bumper and Rad support Painting 002.jpg
Front Bumper and Rad support Painting 002.jpg [ 119.68 KiB | Viewed 182 times ]
Attachment:
Front Bumper and Rad support Painting 003.jpg
Front Bumper and Rad support Painting 003.jpg [ 106.31 KiB | Viewed 178 times ]
Attachment:
Front Bumper and Rad support Painting 004.jpg
Front Bumper and Rad support Painting 004.jpg [ 139.98 KiB | Viewed 185 times ]
Attachment:
Front Bumper and Rad support Painting 005.jpg
Front Bumper and Rad support Painting 005.jpg [ 124.09 KiB | Viewed 171 times ]

The bumper is out of the way but the Radiator Support isn't, and with me wearing a belt and the paint being soft, I might scratch the new paint.

On the subject on the timing cover, there are 2 bolts I can't get out as they foul with the crankshaft pully and the idler pully, I'm just about to go and take photo's to show this, I think once these bolts are out I should be set, I have also undone 4 bolts at the front of the Sump just to be sure.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Here are the pic's of my new found problem:

Attachment:
Timing Cover Bolts 001.jpg
Timing Cover Bolts 001.jpg [ 103.71 KiB | Viewed 165 times ]
Attachment:
Timing Cover Bolts 002.jpg
Timing Cover Bolts 002.jpg [ 62.46 KiB | Viewed 170 times ]
Attachment:
Timing Cover Bolts 003.jpg
Timing Cover Bolts 003.jpg [ 82.08 KiB | Viewed 163 times ]

With the idler pulley, I can't seem to easily move that out of the way, it's like it's stuck to the case for good.... there is no bolt attached to it, all I seem to be able to do is move it about and that's it, but I can't quite move it out of the way enough to get that bolt out, and there's the crankshaft pulley as well to be dealt with.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

im not familiar with belt setup on ED, but i know the balancer has to come off to remove timing cover, and possibly lower the sump a little as there is a lip on the timing cover that slots onto the sump. You need a balancer remover from an Repco, Super cheap etc.

be careful not to strip the thread on the crank. I know there is a correct way to do it, and an incorrect way. Do some research first before potentially doing more damage

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

this is turning out to be a mission already!!! if I screw anything else up I wont be able to go to the motorshow with FORDMODS!!!!!

If I have to get a tool to get the balancer off.... GRRRRRRRRR

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Well all I can do while this paint is drying tonight is to figure out everything I need to get this timing done by 5pm tomorrow, and I can't do s**t in the morning cuz I have an appointment, but I'm getting desperate and I'm my patience is fading with this stupid headgasket job....

ED Owner's, How am I going to do this???? HELP

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont II

VIC, Australia

Hurry up speedY!
i want my springs :wink:

Nah take your time, no rush or pressure :D

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 10  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next