Fordmods Logo

ED Head Gasket Replacement 

Page 7 of 10 [ 137 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post subject: Re: ED Head Gasket Replacement
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: VY Commodore Wagon Accli

VIC, Australia

Well I'm almost out of fuel, I will put in Premium Unleaded and see if the noise disapears.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

to add to that it could also be the cat converter? seeing that there was a s**t load of water that poured from it out the back of it...

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Have you reset the ignition base timing????

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

aaaah, no I haven't, well I don't think anyway, it runs like a beaut though, I made sure that the timing at the camshaft didn't change, so thats all good :).

How do I reset the ingnition base timing???

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Under the fuse box inside the car, there is a multi-pin connector, there are 2 rows of pins, so at the very inside, 1 in the top row & 1 in the bottom row, connect them together, then start the engine, or while engine is running, wait till revs settle, then check with timing light, and adjust, time is limited, about 30secs to do it.

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

ACT, Australia

This has been an interesting read.. This weekend I was fitting a new head with AU MLS gasket, and also changed the chain and guides.

It's not quite finished, but have to ask; what would it be like without that lower-passenger side guide the timing case.. the one that is about 3" long, and is supposed to fit to the timing case as you fix it to the block.. we couldn't get the thing around the the chain, so left it out.. in all honesty is this really that bad? :?

I like boost
http://www.venomexhaustworks.com.au

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

locknut wrote:
This has been an interesting read.. This weekend I was fitting a new head with AU MLS gasket, and also changed the chain and guides.

It's not quite finished, but have to ask; what would it be like without that lower-passenger side guide the timing case.. the one that is about 3" long, and is supposed to fit to the timing case as you fix it to the block.. we couldn't get the thing around the the chain, so left it out.. in all honesty is this really that bad? :?

If Ford would've saved $1.00 for every car by leaving it out, they would've...got me drift???

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

oh fk..
This means I have to undo all my work :cry: , as the head is on and torqued.. all the timing case is gasketed and ultra blue'd on.. Can I remove the sump and fit this sucker?

While I'm at it.. I had to fit the water pump without a gasket, just plenty of ultra blue. Should this be ok?

What's the best way to get the harmonic balancer on? With a driver in the cam sprocket so the chain and gears don't move, will that fat washer and bolt just gradully push the balancer on?

I like boost

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Lockhead, with that 3 inch plastic thing that nearly always falls off, I lost mine and it is still rolling around in the sump harmlessly, I bought a new one from Ford but this time I Used some of the silicon I used for the head gasket work and siliconed it on, once I was sure it was dry and not going to come off I installed it.

Yes, it will be a pain in the a**, but it is for the benefit of the doubt, and I know there's the small possibility you switch to Holden after this too :P.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Was lucky enough to get half a day off today, and have tomorrow off too. The gasket tore on one side when removing the timing case.

I took your advice and ultra blu'd the guid to the timing case, but it was still a c#nt to fit, I even had the missus using a grapling hook to pull the slack of the chain away so I could fit the case with the guide.. in one attempt, the fker fell in the sump, under that shelf.. That was a time today you did not wanna be around me!! After a few minutes I got a wire coat hanger, and MacGyver'd it out of the sump somehow, cuz it was not even visable.

I loosened all the sump bolts, but it was still very hard to fit the case.. and of course by the time this successful attempt got the case back on all the ultra blue had 'gone off' and the gaskets just pushed out to the sides..

Did you have the sump completely off, all bolts out, and the sump just sitting on the K-Frame??

There's 2 extra gaskets in the NASON timing kit that I didn't find a use for? as well as a rubber 3 sided seal identical to one that came with the VRS kit. Don't have pics atm, cbf'd going back outside, will post them up tomorrow.

I am so over it right now, am very very fking tempted to just pay some mobile mech to come round and fix this before I burn the thing.

I like boost

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

lol, be patient with it, you shouldn't need to lift the timing chain, I didn't need to.

I just slipped it under, with that timing chain guide and with some silicon on it just so it didn't fall off and become a bastard when assembling.

I had all the sump bolts off except the back 2, they where just loosened, if you've taken the sump right off that's not a worry, you can then dig out the old timing guide, clean it as best as you can, then slip on some silicon, just remember if you have make sure you replace the sump gasket too.

Also, don't forget the harmonic balancer seal, that can cause trouble if your not careful. For the top timing Cover Gasket that sits between the Timing Cover and the Head, I used a Genuine one, some of the aftermarket ones like Permaseal are just useless.

Anyway, you should just need to slip the case on above the sump gasket if you haven't taken the sump right off, and then slip it under the timing chain, then watch the top part of it, the Gasket that goes in between the head and the case in particular, I didn't get mine on properly, so it still leaks today, but I'm not fussed, it isn't a huge deal for me, just make sure you put a bead of silicon on, and also try and get some in the far corners too, that can help stop some leaks.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

I was going to give it another go tomorrow, but fk that, I want some time off. The weekend was spent doing this. Besides I can't really continue till I replace the timing case gaskets which got fk'd when I was removing the timing case. Might give it a go again this weekend. Was tempted to get new headbolts again, if I have to remove the head to get this timing case all sorted. And yes, that cork like seal between the head and timing case is fk'd up, it never stays in place, silicone or not.

Replacing the sump gasket will be a prick, was speaking with a family friend who suggested I'd be better off with an EF 1 piece sump gasket, instead of the 4piece.. either way none of this is fun.

I like boost

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

My Sump Gasket was one piece?

With that timing Case Gasket, just get a genuine one, you will find it heaps better to work with, yes, it is a prick that gasket, and it will probably still leak afterwards, but just do the best you can to minimize those leaks.

If you have done the headgasket and all you shouldn't need to pull the head off again, I didn't need to, I eventually got it all working for me again, and that was 2 weeks of non stop work though.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I've been doing a head gasket job on an ED, and when I cleaned the combustion chambers, I found this....explains why it was hydraulic locking and loosing 2 litres of coolant a week.
I also found 7 cracked rockers, and 2 broken rocker shaft mounts!!!!!

Attachments:
IMGP2429_resize.JPG
IMGP2429_resize.JPG [ 145.21 KiB | Viewed 232 times ]
IMGP2428_resize.JPG
IMGP2428_resize.JPG [ 211.47 KiB | Viewed 266 times ]

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

OUCH!!!

Can the Head be repaired?

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Sort by  
 Page 7 of 10  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next