ED head on EA block - no oil pressure 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: ED head on EA block - no oil pressure
Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

ACT, Australia

I've just put an ED head on my EA. I used my EA 1636 cam. Is this supposed to work in the ED head, or is an ED cam supposed to be ground to work in it?

I know the EA and ED stock profiles may slightly differ, but the actual cam shaft, eg: journals etc the same? Reason being my car has minimal oil pressure, and I need to rule this out as part of my research.

When cold oil pressure shows about 1.5bar, then goes .5 (in the red) to nil, with some rattle representing the low oil pressure.

Am using ED rocker gear. Car runs, and I have driven it short trips this weekend, but have been advised not to drive it anymore until I get this sorted.

The only other info is, rockers got smashed when a valve let go, and shrapnel was everywhere, but we got all we could see, including bits that where in oil galleries. Could something that may have fallen to the sump be blocking the oil pick up enough to reduce the pressure, or is this head and cam combo incompatible.

If anyone has done this exact combo, or at least put an ED head on an EA, please help.

I like boost
http://www.venomexhaustworks.com.au

Post subject: Re: ED head on EA block - no oil pressure
Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

D check the rocker gear - mainly the ends. U may have put a tappet in a bit crooked which snaps the end of the rocker off meaning oil will pour out the side rather than into the tappet. I have the same symptoms and that was the cause.

Try turning the engine over with no rocker cover on and no leads attatched to the plugs so it doesn't start, might see some oil flowing from places it shoudlnt

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Post subject: Re: ED head on EA block - no oil pressure
Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

ACT, Australia

Will check it out this weekend.. so dissapointed.

Have spent a crazy amount of hours doing this job, and have also spoken to a mechanic who thinks it might just be the o-ring that sits inside the timing case around the tensioner area. I'm now looking at getting another car, I just can see myself taking it all apart.. this project is pretty much done, and might be selling it soon..

Whilst it is driveable, I'm not driving it until it's fixed / sold / wrecked.. if anyone in ACT is keen let me know. Might be in the FOR SALE section soon. Just don't have the motorvation anymore.

I like boost
http://www.venomexhaustworks.com.au

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]