ED vs EL 

Page 2 of 4 [ 48 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:22 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL XR6

QLD, Australia

Quote:
I might get an EL XR6 and take the red trim off, even tho i kinda like it... so many choices to be made... lol

Dont touch that trim! I did, worst mistake i ever made. There are plenty of products to bring them back to colour if they fade too (common red trim problem)

If your really set on an XR go for EL. The EF had a shocking interior trim where EL is much better looking. Also a Manual if you can find one. The combo of the tickford engine, manual box and 3.45 LSD blows stocko falcons outa the water.

Ive had mine for almost 3 years now and havent had any huge issues just the usual stuff.

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

mr_ratapus wrote:
Quote:
I might get an EL XR6 and take the red trim off, even tho i kinda like it... so many choices to be made... lol

Dont touch that trim! I did, worst mistake i ever made. There are plenty of products to bring them back to colour if they fade too (common red trim problem)

If your really set on an XR go for EL. The EF had a shocking interior trim where EL is much better looking. Also a Manual if you can find one. The combo of the tickford engine, manual box and 3.45 LSD blows stocko falcons outa the water.

Ive had mine for almost 3 years now and havent had any huge issues just the usual stuff.

thanks for the heads up... yeah definatly EL over EF XR6... i dont know if i 100% like the tickford body kit tho.. i used to.. not so sure anymore

1997 EL Fairmont [EHELL] Mods: 2.5" straight through Redback Mandrel Bent Exhaust from cat back, BA XR8 18" Replica's, LPG conversion, Kingspring Superlows - front and rear, Monroe GT lowered shocks all round, Clear side repetors, FPV front floor mats..

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ILLaViTaR wrote:
FPV GT Alex wrote:
scottlah wrote:
If you can drive auto fine and know all the road rules, you would only need like 3-4 lessons in a manual to get good at it. Its a pretty simple concept and once you got it down its easy as pie.

yeah i guess... but id rather just 100% get my licence for sure then worry about manual..

but yeah ur right, i can drive auto and that fine so i might just get a few lessons with racv and see how i go.

i had a manual lesson with this guy and it just put me off he was so f*** annoying id rather just teach myself..

I thought the same thing.

Rebooking for manual later this year. Do it right the first time.

yeah, here in vic with licence testing booked out about 3months in advance, id rather play it safe than rush manual..

1997 EL Fairmont [EHELL] Mods: 2.5" straight through Redback Mandrel Bent Exhaust from cat back, BA XR8 18" Replica's, LPG conversion, Kingspring Superlows - front and rear, Monroe GT lowered shocks all round, Clear side repetors, FPV front floor mats..

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED Pwnage Pwr!!

SA, Australia

Get the ED :D

Adelaide Motorplex < Click on it! You know you want too!
ED HP AU XR6, Wade, T5, and all the usual stuff!

Quote:
Thats not the point *a**hole

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Get the boxcar (ED) and then drop in an EL XR6 engine. That way you get the best of both worlds.

And if you do it this way, you don't have to start with an XR either. You can take your pick of parts for both the exterior and interior.

Check out my build thread in the Garage to see what I mean.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ok thanks BenJ ill check it out.
sounds like a bit too much effort for me though :( lol :S

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:02 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL XR6

QLD, Australia

FPV GT Alex wrote:
sounds like a bit too much effort for me though :( lol :S

HAHAH. Its half the fun.

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yes i know i know, but for my first car i just wanna get in and drive.. dont want to muck around too much.. cant wait :)
so i reckon ill get an EL that way dont need to worry about getting a better engine, just build up from there.. :)

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:16 am 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I'd go with the EF/EL. There were alot of refinements made that make them a more reliable car and far nicer to drive every day. The technology in an ED is nearing 20 years (inherited mostly from EA/EB).

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yes u make a v good point waggin

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:07 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

scottlah wrote:
:OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

auto licence.

OmGGG
Abit off topic but when i went for my licence it was just before xmas! and my mate who own the local driving school who i did my test with tried to rearange booking ect,So i could get my license in manual not go so i had to go AUTO anyway when i had to renew my license and aget anew picture taken i noticed when i was in the car that my license was manual and they had'nt put the auto condition on it.Anyway once you are full license you can drive a manual if u got your P's in an AUTO Buy the way i'm afan of the older cars i wish i could drive my XRGT daily

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeah thats what i thought.. ill still probs get my manual before im off my p's because u never know what will pop up..

i want to learn manual anyway, just dont have time before i get my licence

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:31 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Really depends on what you want.

The ELs were a more refined car compared to the earlier EA-ED series with more improvements like uprated interiors and more protection but were heavier and slow.

The EB/ED XRs were more raw and brutal. Compared to the later series the interior was pretty basic with only the Recaro style seats and the MOMO wheel to set it apart from the normal Spack.

Put a set of thermo fans onto the EB/ED XR and you'll be laughing.

Simply, $3000-$3500 for a EB/ED Xr6 in manual with 100,000-200,000 plus around $150 for thermofan conversion plus around $300 for extractors plus $1000 for some nice AU Xr6 Rims in E series offset with tyres will net you a good cruiser with plently of go.

By the way- don't initally spend money on s**t like monster tachos or big speaker systems, save it for the go not for the show.

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hahaha yeah cheers.. thats the dilema im left with..
um can u tell me what thermo fans are? ive seen them before but not sure what 100% they do.. increase air flow/engine temp?
thnks man

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED Pwnage Pwr!!

SA, Australia

FPV GT Alex wrote:
hahaha yeah cheers.. thats the dilema im left with..
um can u tell me what thermo fans are? ive seen them before but not sure what 100% they do.. increase air flow/engine temp?
thnks man

Thermo fans are electric motors driving fans insted of the standard viscus (spelling?) hub on the front of the water pump, Which is driven by the engine.

Still having trouble deciding?, heres some advice GET THE ED! RRRAAAARRR! :P

Adelaide Motorplex < Click on it! You know you want too!
ED HP AU XR6, Wade, T5, and all the usual stuff!

Quote:
Thats not the point *a**hole

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next