Fordmods Logo

ED XR6 / EL Hybrid build 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: ED XR6 / EL Hybrid build
Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Think this is my first post here, ive been reading the forums for a few months now after picking up an xg longreach, but fingers crossed my old car is sold in the next week or 2 and my xg build will start... Bare with me if some qusetions seem obvious as they're new engines to me still

What im looking for is some advice with the best combo to go with. At the moment i have 3 engines. Stock ED from the xg ute which is a bit sad and will probably go to the tip, ED XR6 which i intended to do a rebuild on and put that in the ute, and an El hybrid long block also.

Originally i was just going to get an ACL rebuild kit for the xr6 engine, get rods prepped + bolts, head studs, a cam, and install a microtech ecu & hand controller i have doing nothing at the moment. Me loving anything with a turbo, i was just going to start off with a basic turbo setup + supporting mods for something close to 250rwkw as from what i understand thats leaning on the T5 already, and should be enough to keep me happy for a bit. Depending how much my car sells for and how much i spend on the body, i was going to check with ACL if they offer forged pistons as an extra with the rebuild kit.

The only thing im not real sure on is, would i be better off putting the ed head on the el hybrid block and continue the build that way, or just the entire el hybrid long motor. Id prefer to use the tickford head, but not at a major loss if there was something i hadnt seen.

Havent decided on a turbo. I have an old T04E based turbo i ran on an 430rwhp sr20 but the exhaust housing is probably a little small (cant remember what it was) so i might grab a holset turbo from the states. I also have a 38mm wastegate but i think it'll have troubles holding lower boost so will probably have to fork out for that too. Im on a fairly tight budget too so i'll be doing most of the stuff myself or with help from people i know so that'll bring the labor costs to close to nil.

None of this is set in stone yet, so if theres a better way of going about something let me know. Cheers guys.

Post subject: Re: ED XR6 / EL Hybrid build
Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

someone can correct me if im wrong but being el hybrid, is it only the head thats different to the other e series? So it wouldnt really matter what engine you use if your going to rebuild, and the xr6 head would be best to use?

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Im pretty sure they have bigger journals, longer rods, diff pistons, different head & valve gear...

I guess im sorta answering my own question there, the el hybtrid short motor sounds a no brainer im just not 100% sure with the head. I remember reading that the ed heads were better flowing, and with the larger valves in the xr6 head they'd be a bit better again, plus they had better valve gear than the el hybrid/au engines and more cam options.

Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

does it have a different looking sump to the ed, because the el hybrid uses the au head but im not sure if it uses the whole engine,i guess it would then have to use the au k frame or a different sump which doesnt make sense just for the last of the el's, id say its just got the au head, unless some 1 else can explain for the both of us lol.

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:24 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Still uses the tin sump, and the k-frame is still the same. The engine came out of my brothers car and he ended up buying an earlier model engine for it which we installed without any dramas. This is part of what i found on autoseek which was sent out to ford dealers.

Parts Information
The following list identifies the upgraded parts used in the Falcon I6 engine

-Engine Block (identified by VR2A casting instead of 96DA)
-Crankshaft
-Crankshaft Sprocket
-Idler Sprocket
-Idler Sprocker Bolt (black finish)
-Timing Chain
-Crankshaft Main Bearing Caps
-Main Bearings
-Con Rod Nuts & Bolts (WR2A stamped on bolt) - torque to yield
-Flywheel Bolts (auto trans only)
-Cylinder Head (identified by 96DA or 96DT casting insted of 94DA or 95DT)
-Camshaft
-Camshaft Sprocket
-Camshaft Sprocket Bolt (black finish)
-Inlet and Exhaust Valves, Guides, Springs and Stem Seals
-Rocker Arms and Washers
-Rocker Shafts and Supports

Either way the short motor sounds a lot better...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]