Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: ED XR6 now going VCT WADE CAM,ADJ GEAR,SHIMS NOW FORSALE
Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

I went to install my cam today (a regrind 1673 with 114 LOBE ) and YES i installed the same size shims in my rockers that i got from ford that are the exact sa,e as the original ones connected it all up set cam timing on same as the original cam markings (crow vernier cam gears) and started it up and let it run it idles fine just chattery then after about 2 minutes BANG broken rocker and motor stops i take the rocker cover off to find a broken rocker on #5 inlet but why was it so chattery ? i took 10 thou off the head and an AU MLS head gasket new bolts and torqued to 30Nm and then 120 degrees after that? any help

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Last edited by EDXR6-Poly on Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: ANYONE WANT A FREE ED XR6 FU*K IM OVER IT
Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

check to make sure the rocker arm hasn't walked at all and become jammed on another rocker
is it the very end of the rocker, or the middle of the arm that has broken?

one of the lash adjusters may have been slightly crooked which can cause the end of the rocker arm to snap off..

did you pull the rocker gear out, pull all the shims out and rebuild it so to speak?
i do this everytime i pull the rocker gear off to ensure that every arm has the required amount of shims and to make sure all lash adjusters are in working order.

it also pays to triple check the cam timing, cracking the engine by hand with no plugs in to ensure the cam marks line up after the engine has been rotated.

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:27 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Rocker arm could have been weak before hand and by putting in a lumpier cam may have pushed it to it's limit. Also check the valves are okay.

Engine is noisy (chattery as you put it) due to lack of lubrication in the lifters and the shims. It takes more then a few minutes for them to be properly lubricated, but it will go quieter over time. I drove mine around the block twice and the sound was much quieter then when i just started it up.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I hand cranked over and timing marks were all lined up still, i cleaned the whole rocker rail in a big tray of petrol and all the rocker arms had 2 shims & cleaned each individual lifter and spring removing all the retaining clip things in it. They had very little side ways movement (half a mill)i made sure i could compress all the lifters by pressing down on each arm to compress them a little.
I still have the shims but the lifter its self fell down into the sump and it brock in half on where it rocks on the rocker shaft that goes all the way through the rocker assemberly but that dont make sense why it was so chattery???

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

phongus wrote:
Rocker arm could have been weak before hand and by putting in a lumpier cam may have pushed it to it's limit. Also check the valves are okay.

Engine is noisy (chattery as you put it) due to lack of lubrication in the lifters and the shims. It takes more then a few minutes for them to be properly lubricated, but it will go quieter over time. I drove mine around the block twice and the sound was much quieter then when i just started it up.

If ive bent a valve im going to be p****d cos i just spent 600 on the head getting it all done up and ported etc if it has imm just going to throw it all away and install a complete AU engine

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:33 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

ooops ignore this.

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

so i should let it idle for how long before the noise will go away and it had plenty of oil coming out of the top of the rocker arm above the lifter and ill go do a compression test to see what happens

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

EDXR6-Poly wrote:
I hand cranked over and timing marks were all lined up still, i cleaned the whole rocker rail in a big tray of petrol and all the rocker arms had 2 shims & cleaned each individual lifter and spring removing all the retaining clip things in it. They had very little side ways movement (half a mill)i made sure i could compress all the lifters by pressing down on each arm to compress them a little.
I still have the shims but the lifter its self fell down into the sump and it brock in half on where it rocks on the rocker shaft that goes all the way through the rocker assemberly but that dont make sense why it was so chattery???

did you re-oil all the rocker arms and shafts before starting it? if you cleaned them all in petrola nd put them back in with no oil, you've probably run them dry for while and damaged the rocker bore.
Once the rocker bore/shaft is galled it's only a mater of time before something breaks.

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

i gave them a light oil when they were put back together not dribbling off but you could see the oil on it?

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

i found out why the rocker broke i took the head back off and relised that the dowel pin in my vernier cam gear had sheered off causing the cam to move when the rocker broke i have 2 bent exhaust valves and 1 bent intake valve so im not bothering about fixing the head now ill save it for a rainy day & im looking for another head (just seen a few on ebay) and rocker gear and even tho the AU MLS head gasket has only been run for a max of 3-4 minutes could i re-use it on a new head or do i have to get a new one?

Last edited by EDXR6-Poly on Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

will i have to replace the head gasket even tho it was only idling for a max of 3-4 ins tops consider they are over $100 A piece for one from ford or jim mock

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:08 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

Dowel pin? Its got 4 bolts hasnt it, allen head bolts(to adjust the vernier gear)?
The lifters should be soaked in oil thouroughly if theyve been out of the motor to minimize startup ticking.
No head gaskets arent reusable, only if your stuck in the desert dude.

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:14 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

milo 302 wrote:
Dowel pin? Its got 4 bolts hasnt it, allen head bolts(to adjust the vernier gear)?
The lifters should be soaked in oil thouroughly if theyve been out of the motor to minimize startup ticking.
No head gaskets arent reusable, only if your stuck in the desert dude.

I think he meant the little dowel on the gear that fits into the camshaft side that sits on the intake side of the head when at TDC.

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:39 pm 
QLD Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Ford Falcon Wagon

QLD, Australia

Might be cheaper on you if you just buy a working motor and wack it in

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Did you reset the timing chain tensioner?????...you haven't mentioned that.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next