Fordmods Logo

ef 6cyl oil leak. help! 

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: ef 6cyl oil leak. help!
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:10 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 1987 telstar/2004 BA XR6 5spd

NSW, Australia

hey guys, i have had a oil leak for a while now but nothing bad, i changed over my thermostast the other day because the temp never got to normal, always sat below it, now it sit on the m on normal but after i did that the oil leak got a lot worse, i lost over 1l of oil in a day or 2 with minimal driving, i got under the car to try and figure out where the leak is and there is oil all over the back side of the motor underneath, alot where the motor bolts on to the gearbox but it all seems to be very dirty oil so i kept on looking and took a few pics of where i think the leaks are..could some one tell me how to upload said pics and help me diagnose where the leak is coming from?

Post subject: Re: ef 6cyl oil leak. help!
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:31 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

i think thats the oil pressure switch, thats where the cleanest oil is coming from, from what i could see.

thats where the motor bolts onto the gearbox, that oil seems to be very dirty but im not ruleing that out as a leak, there is also a little gab there you can see, is that normal?

there is also a heap of sludge and crap on the front of the motor on the harmonic balencer, alternator and on the front of the block.
any ideas any one???

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

That's alot of oil, are you sure it's not burning it?
Was there a thermostat in there and was it in one piece?

Pretty sure you need to upload yourpics onto a separate server, Facebook or what not then copy the link and insert it here.

A can of degreaser is you're friend here. Wash it off and go for a drive and re inspect you're leaks.
It will likey be:
*Rocker Cover gasket.
*Timing case gasket.
*Timing case C gasket.
*Timing chain tentioner Oring - very likely-behind power steering pump brackets above waterpump.
*Timing chain guide retainer bolt.-you remove this to get to the tentioner.
But could also be the crank seal, sump or rear main. When they go they piss out.
If it's the head gasket they usually leak oil down under the inlet manifold and water out the back corner near the back of the exhaust manifold. You would notice other signs of a BHG tho.

Or it could be all of the above.

Quite often get a 4.0 falc in for oil leak repairs that are 3 or 4 of the mentioned.

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 97 el ghia

NSW, Australia

told ya to get degreaser ya noob

my build thread

the-garage-f53/maso-s-el-fairmont-ghia-build-t112744.html

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:09 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

the car dosnt blow smoke at all, as far as i can tell its not burning any oil. there was a thermostat in it but it had failed wide open, is there anything i need to cover or keep dry if i degrease and pressure wash the engine bay? i had my A/C fixed a few days ago and they showed me a nice puddle of oil from my car...it had only been there for about 2 hours.
im considering covering the entire engine in degreaser and going ape s**t with a pressure washer lol.
how much do you think it would cost to pay a mechanic to find the leaks?

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Yes, that is the oil pressure sender - And yes, they can break and leak. I lost two litres in about ten kilometres once... You could follow the oil trail from town to the workshop...

No doubt there are other small leaks too, which will confuse the issue. Spray degreaser over the whole intake side of the motor and timing cover (front of motor) and hose out (please do not do this near a protected heritage area, stream or shelf fish bed).

Run engine and re-check.

EDIT

OOOPS - That is not the oil pressure sender (or switch) is it after all?
It seems like that photo is behind the coil pack and in front of starter. The oil pressure thing is slightly behind the oil filter, and the thing photo'd could be the knock sensor?

Either way, it is close to a possibly blown oil sender / switch. Try running engine and stick a small mirror in there once you have cleaned the oil crap off.

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:10 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

yeah its just above the coil pack near the starter motor. so i dont have to worry about keeping things dry when i hose it down?

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

You have to keep the coils dry and the spark plug ends.
Don't go too hard with the pressure cleaner. Might break some clips off.
That oil presses sensor is dripping but they piss out worse then that. That looks more like a dribble. Defiantly change it but im thinking you'll have more leaks.

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:52 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

fiend wrote:
It seems like that photo is behind the coil pack and in front of starter. The oil pressure thing is slightly behind the oil filter, and the thing photo'd could be the knock sensor?
Either way, it is close to a possibly blown oil sender / switch. Try running engine and stick a small mirror in there once you have cleaned the oil crap off.
That is the Knock Sensor - no where near the oil pressure switch/sender.
Degrease as suggested and periodically check for the leak origin.

Usually the rocker cover gasket causes a lot of oil leaks - sometimes not easy to pinpoint, due to gravity and blow back. If you're losing as much as you say, a head bolt head might've sheared, causing oil leak from an oil gallery - they are mostly that side of the engine block.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
fiend wrote:
That is the Knock Sensor - no where near the oil pressure switch/sender.
Degrease as suggested and periodically check for the leak origin.

Usually the rocker cover gasket causes a lot of oil leaks - sometimes not easy to pinpoint, due to gravity and blow back. If you're losing as much as you say, a head bolt head might've sheared, causing oil leak from an oil gallery - they are mostly that side of the engine block.

My bad.
I remember my rocker cover was dry all around the front and sides and pissing out oil from the very back, looked alot like a rear main leak until I stuck my hand down the back of the rockercover.

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Gli wagon

NSW, Australia

Degreaser + water spray.
I did this on my last car.... found the leak.

EF GLi Wagon. Burgundy. Gas shocks. Rear sway bar. Nice stereo & speakers. Factory bull bar. Driving lights. Roof racks. Great car. 2nd owner. 147,000km.

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

oh gosh a oil pressure switch the amount of head ache to do :(

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:23 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Pakrat wrote:
I remember my rocker cover was dry all around the front and sides and pissing out oil from the very back, looked alot like a rear main leak until I stuck my hand down the back of the rockercover.
The rear half moon can cause a leak or two - I know I nearly went to change a rear main seal because of it.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Pakrat wrote:
You have to keep the coils dry and the spark plug ends.
Don't go too hard with the pressure cleaner. Might break some clips off.
That oil presses sensor is dripping but they piss out worse then that. That looks more like a dribble. Defiantly change it but im thinking you'll have more leaks.

Like Pakrat is saying dont go freakin nuts with the pressure washer, if you get water into the wrong places it'll never start again..

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:20 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

thank you for all your help :), will be buying a few cans of degreaser next payday and i wont use a pressure washer, ill just use the garden hose to wash it, i will keep updated too :)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next