Fordmods Logo

EF 6I colling system problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: EF 6I colling system problem
Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hi I'm seeking anyones help with a particular problem I have with my EF 6I cooling system. My temperature gauge has been moving towards the hot side of normal recently so I flushed they system, reverse flushed the radiator, changed the heater hoses and tap, radiator cap and thermostat. I filled the system up with good quality coolant. Gauge still rises towards the hot and causes the thermo fans to operate even at normal driving speed. One peculiar thing I noticed is that before the thermostat opens, the heater works fine, after it opens the heater no longer works.
Could there be a problem with the water pump? Water circulates but it might not be directing any water through the heater pipe located on the back of the pump when the thermostat opens. Any suggestions would be welcome. I don't necessarily want to replace the water pump if it's not the problem. All the other parts I replaced turned out to be OK.

Cheers

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

Hey mate,

Where abouts does your needle sit?, As on a warm or bit of a thrashing day it will sit on the halfway maybe M mark quite easily.

Otherwise your Radiator is probably blocked unfortunately, its a common thing with the Falcons. You will find a genuine one is the way to go, or a 3core one for about $250-300 new they go for.

Alternatively not recommended but ive done it is that cut the bottom plate of your thermostat so it doesn't get as hot as it does normally. Otherwise maybe it looks like your rad as i said since you've changed everything else.

Where does the needle stay is the big question i guess! And also your an auto arent u?

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the advice. I thought of the radiator, but it's only a couple of months old and the flow is good. my concern is that the water stops flowing through the heater after the thermostat opens. By the way, the temperature gauge sits on the "O" in normal which on an EF is close to the hot section.
Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]