Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

WTF its all the same circuit as the rest of the car

I have a car.

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XY Fairmont

SA, Australia

They don't have a battery. Let me guess, you have a low battery voltage fault code??
What it means is the Airbag module (or monitor as Ford call it) has no power to it. It will have a blown fuse. Dont play with em if you aint sure what you're doing.

Real Cars have Chrome Bars

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:00 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ef-XyGt

NSW, Australia

I'm Getting A Message Code saying flat backup battery (code 12) And i thought if i could find the backup battery i would have a chance at repairing it

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Ok Thanks I got the message . I will get used to the airbag light

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:17 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Don't get used to the light, do something about it - it is safety related.

There is a backup battery, in case the main gets put out of commision in a front ender - the system will still operate. I believe it's in the airbag assembly itself.

You've obviously run a diagnostic on it - all may be needed is to clear the codes.

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=3

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:25 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Thanks Snap
Ill try clearing the codes and go from there

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:42 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah no probs, this comes up occasionally on the forum - clearing codes seems to generally work.
If not, you'll probably find the best option is to buy a cheap airbag assy off ebay, should be able to get the odd one for $50.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XY Fairmont

SA, Australia

There is no backup battery. The system will remain active for up to one minute after the cars battery has been disconnected or destroyed in a front ender. Its all done with capacitors.
Code 12 is low batt voltage to the monitor, probably due to a blown fuse. The monitor will blow the fuse itself if it detects a fault in one of the sensors or the airbag itself. More often than not it is just a one off thing and replacing the fuse will fix it. If it blows the fuse again straight away, then there is a problem.
Once you replace the fuse, code 12 will become code 52, which is a memory code. You will have to clear this too. The system will only display one code at a time, so if there are multiple codes in the system you will have to clear them one by one and recheck until clear.
If the airbag light is on the system will not operate at all. It will not go off at all.
Like I said, unless you're sure, dont play.

Real Cars have Chrome Bars

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

smally351 wrote:
There is no backup battery. The system will remain active for up to one minute after the cars battery has been disconnected or destroyed in a front ender. Its all done with capacitors.
Code 12 is low batt voltage to the monitor, probably due to a blown fuse. The monitor will blow the fuse itself if it detects a fault in one of the sensors or the airbag itself. More often than not it is just a one off thing and replacing the fuse will fix it. If it blows the fuse again straight away, then there is a problem.
Once you replace the fuse, code 12 will become code 52, which is a memory code. You will have to clear this too. The system will only display one code at a time, so if there are multiple codes in the system you will have to clear them one by one and recheck until clear.
If the airbag light is on the system will not operate at all. It will not go off at all.
Like I said, unless you're sure, dont play.

Read the doco http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=3 and submit a correction.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]